Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNU sed running on Mac
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting GNU sed running on Mac Post 303024590 by Xterra on Thursday 11th of October 2018 05:13:19 PM
Old 10-11-2018
Quote:
e.g. is that the first one you would find based on your PATH variable?
That was the problem actually.
Thanks!
This User Gave Thanks to Xterra For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

running linux ppc on a mac 7200

running linux ppc on a mac 7200... can someone please tell me how to do this... it says something about a red hat installer?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Terminal and/or X-Windows in Mac OS X

Quick question: When I load up Terminal or X-Windows on my Mac, and the prompt comes up...what folder am I starting in? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liquidcross
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnu sed regex grouping not working?

Hello, from the gnu sed manual, I should be able to do this: `\(REGEXP\)' Groups the inner REGEXP as a whole, this is used to: * Apply postfix operators, like `\(abcd\)*': this will search for zero or more whole sequences of `abcd', while `abcd*' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnu sed replace space with new line

please help in making sed singleline command i need to insert dos new line (CR LF) before " 34 matching device(s) found on \\cpu1." " 6 matching device(s) found on \\cpu7." " 102 matching device(s) found on \\mainserver." the problem is that sometimes there are both CR LF before strings and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xserg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is GNU sed installed?

Hi there, I'm new to UNIX and have the following question: At work a Solaris Unix system is used. I'm not sure if they have gnu sed installed so I tried using the command "sed -r" and got the error: "Illegal option --r" Does this mean that gnu sed is definitely not installed on the system... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: js8765
8 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

GNU Sed Problem

Hi, I'm and Android developer using Mac OSX 10.7. I use Dsixda's Android Kitchen to develop my roms. I had it working fine on 10.6.8 and it still worked flawlessly when updating to 10.7. I installed Macports, and installed some packages, and then tried to run the Android Kitchen. I CD'd to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmeadows013
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected results with lists in GNU sed

I have been living with this problem with GNU sed v4.1.4 for a long time, but now I really need to figure it out. When using a list in either an address or a search, the expression is matching lower and upper-case letters. works as it should. For example, if I run sed -nr "// p"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nctrader
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert @Line # - SED (non-GNU)

Just posted on another fellow's question using ed, but I wanted to know about doing it with sed on Unix. For example - I have a file of an unknown length, but I want to add a line after the shell declaration (Line 2). If possible, I'd like the example to be able to just substitute in a number and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies
SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					       SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-subst - GNU shtool sed(1) substitution operations SYNOPSIS
shtool subst [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-n|--nop] [-w|--warning] [-q|--quiet] [-s|--stealth] [-i|--interactive] [-b|--backup ext] [-e|--exec cmd] [-f|--file cmd-file] [file] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
This command applies one or more sed(1) substitution operations to stdin or any number of files. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -n, --nop No operation mode. Actual execution of the essential shell commands which would be executed is suppressed. -w, --warning Show warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change on every file. The default is to show a warning on substitution operations resulted in no content change on all files. -q, --quiet Suppress warning on substitution operation resulting in no content change. -s, --stealth Stealth operation. Preserve timestamp on file. -i, --interactive Enter interactive mode where the user has to approve each operation. -b, --backup ext Preserve backup of original file using file name extension ext. Default is to overwrite the original file. -e, --exec cmd Specify sed(1) command directly. -f, --file cmd-file Read sed(1) command from file. EXAMPLE
# shell script shtool subst -i -e 's;(c) ([0-9]*)-2000;(c) 1-2001;' *.[ch] # RPM spec-file %install shtool subst -v -n -e 's;^(prefix=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix};g' -e 's;^(sysconfdir=).*;1 $RPM_BUILD_ROOT%{_prefix}/etc;g' `find . -name Makefile -print` make install HISTORY
The GNU shtool subst command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 2001 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by the need to have a uniform and convenient patching frontend to sed(1) operations in the OpenPKG package specifications. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-SUBST.TMP(1)