Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Compress and logging files from October 6th in a loop Post 303024559 by Peasant on Thursday 11th of October 2018 01:01:07 AM
Old 10-11-2018
Looks like the files in your current working directory are not unique.
Is this true ?

Do you have both (in one moment in time, just an example) :
Code:
ImpresionScl_11763290.log # Oct 6 you wish to compress
ImpresionScl_11763290.log.gz # older date then Oct 6

In working directory when trying to compress ?

Initial problem you found is at the end of following line :
Code:
gzip $file `

If you found the answer yourself, it is always nice to point it out and describe, so others may benefit.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress multiple files

Hi Friends, Can anyone help me out with compressing multiple files. I have multiple files in directory , I have to compress these into a single file, I tried using gzip -r outfile.gz file1 file2 file3. It is not working Thanks in advance for your help S :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbasetty
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Compress files

Hi All, I would like to archive some of the scripts below(USFINUM042006_01.CSV USFINUM042006_02.CSV and USFINUM042006_03.CSV )and also use a wildcard e.g. <command> USFINUM*.CSV. Also there are a lot of similar files but I want only the three latest files to be compressed. Which is the best... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indira
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to compress html files

Hello, On a Centos 5.0 server, Apache 2.2 delivers static html page. How could I compress those html pages to gain speed and save bandwidth? is there a utility that would be effective and save? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JCR
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

compress files

Could someone give me an idea how to compress all files from a given directory that are not of type .z (compressed). Please help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lesstjm
2 Replies

5. Linux

Compress files >2GB

Hi folks, I'm trying to compress a certain number of files from a cifs mount to a xfs mount, but cannot do it when the total size of the files is bigger than 2GB. Is there any limitation for above 2GB? OS is SLES 64bit The files are maximum 1MB, so there are aprox. 2000 files to compress... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xavix
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue: Compress in unix server and FTP to windows and open the compress file using Winzip

Hi All ! We have to compress a big data file in unix server and transfer it to windows and uncompress it using winzip in windows. I have used the utility ZIP like the below. zip -e <newfilename> df2_test_extract.dat but when I compress files greater than 4 gb using zip utility, it... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sakthifire
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compress a particular month files

Hi ALL, I am working on a folder where there are lot of files for the past one year. I need to compress a particular month files alone. suppose i need to compress the feb month files alone, what is the script we can use. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: acronis.84
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to sort the 6th field of tab delimited files?

Here's a sample of the data: NAME BIRTHDAY SEX LOCATION AGE ID Jim 05/11/1986 M Japan 27 86 Rei 08/25/1990 F Korea 24 33 Jane 02/24/1985 F India 29 78 I've been trying to sort files using the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: maihani
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Listing files from October 4th is not accurate

Good evening: Need your help please Before deleting older logs from octobre 4th i need to identify which files i have to remove, for instance today is octobre 8ht, i need to remove files from October 4th Because there are many files i can not list because error args too long, so ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies
SAVELOG(8)						      System Manager's Manual							SAVELOG(8)

NAME
savelog - save a log file SYNOPSIS
savelog [-m mode] [-u user] [-g group] [-t] [-p] [-c cycle] [-l] [-j] [-J] [-1 .. -9] [-C] [-d] [-l] [-r rolldir] [-n] [-q] [-D dateformat] file ... DESCRIPTION
The savelog command saves and optionally compresses old copies of files. Older versions of file are named: file.<number><compress_suffix> where <number> is the version number, 0 being the newest. Version numbers > 0 are compressed unless -l prevents it. Version number 0 is not compressed because a process might still have file opened for I/O. Only cycle versions of the file are kept. If the file does not exist and -t was given, it will be created. For files that do exist and have lengths greater than zero, the following actions are performed: 1) Version numbered files are cycled. Version file.2 is moved to version file.3, version file.1 is moved to version file.2, and so on. Finally version file.0 is moved to version file.1, and version file is deleted. Both compressed names and uncompressed names are cycled, regardless of -l. Missing version files are ignored. 2) The new file.1 is compressed unless the -l flag was given. It is changed subject to the -m, -u, and -g flags. 3) The main file is moved to file.0. 4) If the -m, -u, -g, -t, or -p flags are given, then an empty file is created subject to the given flags. With the -p flag, the file is created with the same owner, group, and permissions as before. 5) The new file.0 is changed subject to the -m, -u, and -g flags. OPTIONS
-m mode chmod the log files to mode, implies -t -u user chown log files to user, implies -t -g group chgrp log files to group, implies -t -c cycle Save cycle versions of the logfile (default: 7). The cycle count must be at least 2. -t touch new logfile into existence -l don't compress any log files (default: do compress) -p preserve owner, group, and permissions of logfile -j compress with bzip2 instead of gzip -J compress with xz instead of gzip For xz no strength option is set, and xz decides on the default based on the total amount of physical RAM. Note that xz can use a very large amount of memory for the higher compression levels. -1 .. -9 compression strength or memory usage (default: 9, except for xz) -C force cleanup of cycled logfiles -d use standard date for rolling -D dateformat override date format, in the syntax understood by the date(1) command -r use rolldir instead of . to roll files -n do not rotate empty files -q be quiet BUGS
If a process is still writing to file.0, and savelog moves it to file.1 and compresses it, data could be lost. SEE ALSO
logrotate(8) Debian 30 Dec 2017 SAVELOG(8)