Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Question about Grub2 and Multipathing Post 303024513 by Overcast451 on Wednesday 10th of October 2018 09:20:14 AM
Old 10-10-2018
Question about Grub2 and Multipathing

I have a bit of an odd situation I would like to float out here and see if anyone has any ideas on this..

We are working on doing Disaster Recovery on a number of RHEL 7.4 systems. These are running on Cisco Blade Servers.

The mount point for /boot is on a Multipathed SAN LUN. There are a couple of other SAN volumes as well in disk groups; none of those are being problematic, but /boot is.

Code:
/dev/mapper/360000970000197700328533030344233p1  976M  175M  751M  19% /boot

Above is the mount for the production system. We use SRDF to copy this data to a DR site and then clone the storage and boot up the same hardware at the DR site; Cisco blade servers (same models) as in production.

When we boot up the DR nodes, the system understandably gets a little 'confused' and will mount /boot to a RAW device.

Code:
/dev/sdy1                            976M  175M  751M  19% /boot

Note /dev/sd* instead of the MPATH device /dev/mapper/***

So to fix this:
First, I run a 'multipath -W' and this corrects the extra WWIDs in /etc/multipath/wwids file.

Code:
multipath -W
successfully reset wwids

Now the WWIDS from the production side are gone and only the new ones that are at the DR site exist - So that file is now a happy file. Smilie

After that, I need to add a filter to /etc/lvm/lvm.conf to ignore any devices aside from the /dev/mapper devices (RedHat support suggested that I add the global_filter as well - but it seemed to work ok with just 'filter', but it didn't hurt either..

Code:
filter = [ "a|/dev/mapper/.*|", "r|.*|" ]
global_filter = [ "a|/dev/mapper/.*|", "r|.*|" ]

Then - create a new initramfs image:

Code:
dracut --force --add multipath --include /etc/multipath

And reboot.
The server comes back up in either rescue or emergency mode (I'll pay more attention next time) and EACH TIME, running grub2-mkconfig fixes it - and the server boots just fine.

I need to figure out what's going on for my own geeky-obsessive-ness. The thing is, I saved a backup copy of /boot/grub2/grub.cfg and compared it to the new one that was generated in emergency mode and there are zero differences. I used notepad ++ and did a file comparison - even adding a character to verify the plug-in was working right and I can find no difference at all between the two files.

I thought that grub2-mkconfig just generated a new grub.cfg file, but it almost seems like something else is going on here as well.

Any ideas?

It's not that I can't get these servers back online, it's just that I would like to skip the reboot into rescue mode - as we are looking to automate this process as much as possible.

We have recovered these 4 nodes a couple of times - this process seems consistent. I just can't figure out what change grub2-mkconfig is making to the system to get it to boot!

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

solaris multipathing

I have solaris 10 sparc. I installed a Qlogic hba card. This card is connected on a brocade switch and the brocade is connected on 2 different controllers on a Hitachi disk bay. I formated 2 luns. On my solaris system, i have 4 disk. How to configure solaris 10 to fix the dual disk view. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: simquest
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris IP Multipathing

Hi, I saw your post on the forums about how to setup IP multipathing. I wanted your help on the below situation . I have 2 servers A and B . Now they should be connected to 2 network switches . S1 and S2. Now is it possible to have IP Multipathing on each of the servers as follows ? ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: maadhuu
0 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris multipathing

Hai we using emc storage which is conneted to M5000 through san switch. we asign 13 luns but in server it is showing 22 luns. i enable the solaris multipathing (MPxIO) #more /kernel/drv/fp.conf in that file MPxio-disable=no #mpathadm list lu it shows ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshmani
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Multipathing - problem

Hello, I turned on the server multipathing: # uname -a SunOS caiman 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5140 stmsboot -D fp -e And after a reboot the server, multipathing is not enable: # stmsboot -L stmsboot: MPxIO is not enabled stmsboot: MPxIO disabled # ls /dev/dsk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bieszczaders
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't get puppy to work with grub2

Hello, I'm trying to put puppy linux 4.2.1 (I can't use the latest because it won't boot on my hardware) on a grub2'd usb drive. It throws the error that it can't find pup_421.sfs Here is my /boot/grub/grub.cfg menuentry "Puppy 4.2.1" { loopback loop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Narnie
2 Replies

6. Debian

Grub2 (dual boot, dmraid) cannot run Debian6

Hello, firstly excuse for my poor english. I have a busybox error when I try to run Debian 6. It's like Grub cannot find root (initramfs) My system is: - RAID0 with dmraid - /boot ext2 (from moonOS installation --ubuntu based--) - ext4 (moonOS wich have the Grub2 installation, where I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutralTTY
0 Replies

7. Linux

grub2 startup freeze

I got a dual boot with grub2, but everytime I turn on the computer and the booter is loaded, I can't handle the menu, so I am forced to wait the countdown and choose the default option. I'd really like to know why! This is my grub.cfg, # # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE # # It is automatically... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Luke Bonham
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

GRUB2 + UEFI issue, new entry each boot

Hello This is happening on: 3.13.7-200.fc20.x86_64 This happened already some weeks ago, until now i didn install linunx onto this machine, as i had to turn in the laptop to the service center so they could fix the UEFI flash storage. Either way, its happening again. as i installed Fedora 20... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sea
1 Replies

9. Red Hat

Verify multipathing

I have a couple of questions regarding multipath. If I do vgdisplay vg01, I see it is using 1 PV: /dev/dm-13 If I type multipath -ll I see dm-9, dm-10, dm-11, dm-12, but do not see dm-13. Is my vg01 multipathed? How can I actually know for sure? Secondly, let's say this time vg01 says... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: keelba
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Unable to edit grub2 boot screen in centos 7

I have centos 7 gui installed on vmware workstation12 on my laptop.WhenI want to pause my splash screen while starting my centos 7 using the 'esc key' nothing happens and the system just boots up.I also see a entry for aci_memory_fail... entry during the boot process.help me fix the system. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sabsac
1 Replies