Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Copy file only if newer
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Copy file only if newer Post 303024490 by Don Cragun on Tuesday 9th of October 2018 04:16:02 PM
Old 10-09-2018
Yes, the test utility operator -nt stands for newer than. If you check the man page for the test utility on your system or look for the term "conditional expression" on the man page for your shell, you'll find lots of useful tests that can be performed in your shell scripts. (Note that "conditional expression" might be all lowercase, all uppercase, or have the first letter of each word capitalized depending on which shell's man page you're reading.)

Most of the operators that are available with the [[ command (if your shell has a [[ command) are also available with the test utility invoked with:
Code:
test expression

or with:
Code:
[ expression ]

The test and [ utilities are available with all Bourne shell derived shells.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar --newer = tar --newer-mtime ?

Hi, I have the following question : As far as I know unix doesn't store file creation dates. Would that imply the following? tar -cvzf backup.tar --newer is equal to: tar -cvzf backup.tar --newer-mtime ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamesbond
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy only newer files? (xcopy equivalent)

Howdy folks. I have a problem - I'm sure the answer is very simple, but I can't work it out. I want to create a UNIX shell script that does what I've been doing in DOS batch files for years - that is, backing up files. By which I mean copying files from a source directory to a target... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chomps
4 Replies

3. Solaris

To copy the files newer than specific date

Dear all, Can you help me in copying files newer than speciifc date Thanks in advance, Rajesh (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RAJESHKANNA
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copy newer files without create

I want the same effect as "cp -u" but without create missing files, it is possible ? ps: bash (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrxrsd
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

If condition to check one file newer than the other - first file name uncertain

Dear All, I'm new to unix scripting. I'm trying to write an utility script which has to check if one file is newer than another one. The condition is I dont know the full name of the first file. I searched google and this forum for any such examples, but couldn't find any or may be I would have... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: achilles5
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to script to find the newer date in a text file?

Hi, I have a text file, foo.txt, it looks something like below. In the file there is a line that gives the date in the form of: Mon Jun 15 11:09:31 2008. I need to find which date is the newest and then store certain details of that list data to another file. So, in this sample text file, I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: boolean2222
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to find a file then overwrite with a newer version

This should be a simple script, but can't find one with google search. I just need to find the file that is in many directories, then overwrite that file with a newer version i.e. find file.jar then overwrite with /root/file.jar All I get in searches is substitute text with new test inside... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: haircat
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script, replace file with newer file

Hello, Can you please help me one this: I have two servers: Server A and server B. Every day on 03.00AM in only one on these two servers (randomly)is generated one file, lets say file.txt. I want to copy this file also to the other server. I want to create a perl script that does... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If condition to check one file newer than the other

Dear All, I'm new to unix scripting. I'm trying to write an utility script which has to check if one file is newer than another one. $3 $4 $5 $6 are files .txt. Help me please. for i in $3 $4 $5 $6 do if then echo "$1 is newer than $i" else echo "$i is newer than $1" fi (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manueldo
9 Replies
TEST(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TEST(1)

NAME
test, [ -- condition evaluation utility SYNOPSIS
test expression [ expression ] DESCRIPTION
The test utility evaluates the expression and, if it evaluates to true, returns a zero (true) exit status; otherwise it returns 1 (false). If there is no expression, test also returns 1 (false). All operators and flags are separate arguments to the test utility. The following primaries are used to construct expression: -b file True if file exists and is a block special file. -c file True if file exists and is a character special file. -d file True if file exists and is a directory. -e file True if file exists (regardless of type). -f file True if file exists and is a regular file. -g file True if file exists and its set group ID flag is set. -h file True if file exists and is a symbolic link. This operator is retained for compatibility with previous versions of this pro- gram. Do not rely on its existence; use -L instead. -k file True if file exists and its sticky bit is set. -n string True if the length of string is nonzero. -p file True if file is a named pipe (FIFO). -r file True if file exists and is readable. -s file True if file exists and has a size greater than zero. -t file_descriptor True if the file whose file descriptor number is file_descriptor is open and is associated with a terminal. -u file True if file exists and its set user ID flag is set. -w file True if file exists and is writable. True indicates only that the write flag is on. The file is not writable on a read-only file system even if this test indicates true. -x file True if file exists and is executable. True indicates only that the execute flag is on. If file is a directory, true indi- cates that file can be searched. -z string True if the length of string is zero. -L file True if file exists and is a symbolic link. -O file True if file exists and its owner matches the effective user id of this process. -G file True if file exists and its group matches the effective group id of this process. -S file True if file exists and is a socket. file1 -nt file2 True if file1 exists and is newer than file2. file1 -ot file2 True if file1 exists and is older than file2. file1 -ef file2 True if file1 and file2 exist and refer to the same file. string True if string is not the null string. s1 = s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are identical. s1 != s2 True if the strings s1 and s2 are not identical. s1 < s2 True if string s1 comes before s2 based on the binary value of their characters. s1 > s2 True if string s1 comes after s2 based on the binary value of their characters. n1 -eq n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are algebraically equal. n1 -ne n2 True if the integers n1 and n2 are not algebraically equal. n1 -gt n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically greater than the integer n2. n1 -ge n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically greater than or equal to the integer n2. n1 -lt n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically less than the integer n2. n1 -le n2 True if the integer n1 is algebraically less than or equal to the integer n2. If file is a symbolic link, test will fully dereference it and then evaluate the expression against the file referenced, except for the -h and -L primaries. These primaries can be combined with the following operators: ! expression True if expression is false. expression1 -a expression2 True if both expression1 and expression2 are true. expression1 -o expression2 True if either expression1 or expression2 are true. ( expression ) True if expression is true. The -a operator has higher precedence than the -o operator. Some shells may provide a builtin test command which is similar or identical to this utility. Consult the builtin(1) manual page. GRAMMAR AMBIGUITY
The test grammar is inherently ambiguous. In order to assure a degree of consistency, the cases described in the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''), section D11.2/4.62.4, standard are evaluated consistently according to the rules specified in the standards document. All other cases are subject to the ambiguity in the command semantics. In particular, only expressions containing -a, -o, ( or ) can be ambiguous. EXIT STATUS
The test utility exits with one of the following values: 0 expression evaluated to true. 1 expression evaluated to false or expression was missing. >1 An error occurred. EXAMPLES
Implement test FILE1 -nt FILE2 using only POSIX functionality: test -n "$(find -L -- FILE1 -prune -newer FILE2 2>/dev/null)" This can be modified using non-standard find(1) primaries like -newerca to compare other timestamps. COMPATIBILITY
For compatibility with some other implementations, the = primary can be substituted with == with the same meaning. SEE ALSO
builtin(1), expr(1), find(1), sh(1), stat(1), symlink(7) STANDARDS
The test utility implements a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') specification. The primaries <, ==, >, -ef, -nt, -ot, -G, and -O are extensions. BUGS
Both sides are always evaluated in -a and -o. For instance, the writable status of file will be tested by the following command even though the former expression indicated false, which results in a gratuitous access to the file system: [ -z abc -a -w file ] To avoid this, write [ -z abc ] && [ -w file ] BSD
June 1, 2013 BSD