Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: GNU sed running on Mac
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting GNU sed running on Mac Post 303024401 by Scott on Monday 8th of October 2018 04:44:15 AM
Old 10-08-2018
Using strings $(which sed) | grep "followed by text" on GNU sed returns nothing, whereas it does on macOS's standard sed.

So, even though you installed GNU sed, is that the one you are actually using? e.g. is that the first one you would find based on your PATH variable?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

running linux ppc on a mac 7200

running linux ppc on a mac 7200... can someone please tell me how to do this... it says something about a red hat installer?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ignus
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running Terminal and/or X-Windows in Mac OS X

Quick question: When I load up Terminal or X-Windows on my Mac, and the prompt comes up...what folder am I starting in? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: liquidcross
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnu sed regex grouping not working?

Hello, from the gnu sed manual, I should be able to do this: `\(REGEXP\)' Groups the inner REGEXP as a whole, this is used to: * Apply postfix operators, like `\(abcd\)*': this will search for zero or more whole sequences of `abcd', while `abcd*' ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnu sed replace space with new line

please help in making sed singleline command i need to insert dos new line (CR LF) before " 34 matching device(s) found on \\cpu1." " 6 matching device(s) found on \\cpu7." " 102 matching device(s) found on \\mainserver." the problem is that sometimes there are both CR LF before strings and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xserg
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Is GNU sed installed?

Hi there, I'm new to UNIX and have the following question: At work a Solaris Unix system is used. I'm not sure if they have gnu sed installed so I tried using the command "sed -r" and got the error: "Illegal option --r" Does this mean that gnu sed is definitely not installed on the system... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: js8765
8 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

GNU Sed Problem

Hi, I'm and Android developer using Mac OSX 10.7. I use Dsixda's Android Kitchen to develop my roms. I had it working fine on 10.6.8 and it still worked flawlessly when updating to 10.7. I installed Macports, and installed some packages, and then tried to run the Android Kitchen. I CD'd to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmeadows013
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unexpected results with lists in GNU sed

I have been living with this problem with GNU sed v4.1.4 for a long time, but now I really need to figure it out. When using a list in either an address or a search, the expression is matching lower and upper-case letters. works as it should. For example, if I run sed -nr "// p"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nctrader
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert @Line # - SED (non-GNU)

Just posted on another fellow's question using ed, but I wanted to know about doing it with sed on Unix. For example - I have a file of an unknown length, but I want to add a line after the shell declaration (Line 2). If possible, I'd like the example to be able to just substitute in a number and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)