Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash read input in case statement not working as expected Post 303024304 by RudiC on Friday 5th of October 2018 04:24:58 PM
Old 10-05-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodson2
I'm having an issue with bash read input when using a case statement.

The script halts and doesn't read the input on the first loop.
There is just one loop, and it looks like the first read (outside the loop) has completed accepting the preset value "8hrs" as <return> was hit.
Quote:
if I hit enter then the scripts starts to respond as expected.
. . .
Which is the correct behaviour of read - read a line terminated by a return character.
Quote:
script sits here and doesn't read the given defaultans above.
There are no modifiers / options for this (second) read - no default value, no timeout value, no char count - so, yes, it sits there and waits for your input, terminated by a <Return>.

Last edited by RudiC; 10-05-2018 at 06:42 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash case statement output help

greetings, I have a script that is taking input like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd and formating it to be like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adambot
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect input within case statement?

I'm trying to run the logic below but get a `<' is not matched error message when I return a Y or y; printf "Run this ? : " read RESP case $RESP in Y|y) cat <<EOF > file today is Monday EOF ;; N|n) exit 1 ;; esac Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h8mmer
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

!!VERY URGENT!! Trouble in getting user input, while using under CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble in getting user input while using CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous menu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read command not working as expected

I was trying to write a simple script which will read a text file and count the number of vowels in the file. My code is given below - #!/bin/bash file=$1 v=0 if then echo "$0 filename" exit 1 fi if then echo "$file not a file" exit 2 fi while read -n... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_learner
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using bash case statement

I have the following bash script and it is not accepting the lines "--"|"--""-") "--""-"") while do echo "Current Argument is ${1}" case "$1" in "--"|"--""-") echo "Argument is ${1}" shift # Skip ahead one to the next argument. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement with [[ ]] and regex not working as expected

Using BASH: $ if -- ::00" ]]; then echo "true"; else echo "false"; fi false Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement not working as expected

case "$freq" in " Hz") low=250; high=550;; "8 Hz") low=250; high=1000;; " Hz") low=400; high=1000;; "63 Hz") low=550; high=1000;; " Hz") low=400; high=550;; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - case statement

Hi Gurus, I have the below BASH code which does not works for upper case alphabets except Z (upper case Z). What may be the reason. Also escape sequences like \n, \t, \b, \033(1m \033(0m (For bold letter) are not working. case $var in ) echo "Lower case alphabet" ;; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaneshAnanth
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why this script is not working as 'expected' when doing ssh with while read ... really confused?

Hi, I have a script below that is running ssh <host> <command> on some servers. Below is more or less the script. I have to modify it somehow to get rid of the 'confidential' hostnames check_log.bash #!/bin/bash # myPID=$$ parse_log () { sub="parse_log" host=${1} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
LUA(1)							      General Commands Manual							    LUA(1)

NAME
lua - Lua interpreter SYNOPSIS
lua [ options ] [ script [ args ] ] DESCRIPTION
lua is the stand-alone Lua interpreter. It loads and executes Lua programs, either in textual source form or in precompiled binary form. (Precompiled binaries are output by luac, the Lua compiler.) lua can be used as a batch interpreter and also interactively. The given options (see below) are executed and then the Lua program in file script is loaded and executed. The given args are available to script as strings in a global table named arg. If these arguments contain spaces or other characters special to the shell, then they should be quoted (but note that the quotes will be removed by the shell). The arguments in arg start at 0, which contains the string `script'. The index of the last argument is stored in arg.n. The arguments given in the command line before script, including the name of the interpreter, are available in negative indices in arg. At the very start, before even handling the command line, lua executes the contents of the environment variable LUA_INIT, if it is defined. If the value of LUA_INIT is of the form `@filename', then filename is executed. Otherwise, the string is assumed to be a Lua statement and is executed. Options start with - and are described below. You can use -- to signal the end of options. If no arguments are given, then -v -i is assumed when the standard input is a terminal; otherwise, - is assumed. In interactive mode, lua prompts the user, reads lines from the standard input, and executes them as they are read. If a line does not contain a complete statement, then a secondary prompt is displayed and lines are read until a complete statement is formed or a syntax error is found. So, one way to interrupt the reading of an incomplete statement is to force a syntax error: adding a `;' in the middle of a statement is a sure way of forcing a syntax error (except inside multiline strings and comments; these must be closed explicitly). If a line starts with `=', then lua displays the values of all the expressions in the remainder of the line. The expressions must be separated by commas. The primary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT, if this value is a string; otherwise, the default prompt is used. Similarly, the secondary prompt is the value of the global variable _PROMPT2. So, to change the prompts, set the corresponding variable to a string of your choice. You can do that after calling the interpreter or on the command line with _PROMPT='lua: ', for exam- ple. (Note the need for quotes, because the string contains a space.) The default prompts are ``> '' and ``>> ''. OPTIONS
- load and execute the standard input as a file, that is, not interactively, even when the standard input is a terminal. -e stat execute statement stat. You need to quote stat if it contains spaces, quotes, or other characters special to the shell. -i enter interactive mode after script is executed. -l file call require(file) before executing script. Typically used to load libraries (hence the letter l). -v show version information. -P suppress the creation of a standard LUA_PATH variable. Use this if you need to run scripts which conflict with system-installed libraries. SEE ALSO
luac(1) http://www.lua.org/ DIAGNOSTICS
Error messages should be self explanatory. AUTHORS
R. Ierusalimschy, L. H. de Figueiredo, and W. Celes <lua@tecgraf.puc-rio.br> Debian modifications to the manpage by Daniel Silverstone <dsilvers@debian.org> 2003/04/02 00:05:20 LUA(1)