Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash read input in case statement not working as expected Post 303024292 by Don Cragun on Friday 5th of October 2018 10:37:17 AM
Old 10-05-2018
You have a read command at the start of your script and you have a read command inside your loop. Every read command will wait for you to type in a response.

Try replacing the first read with an echo or printf that gives the directions for the data to be entered and let the read command inside the loop be the only command that blocks waiting for data to be entered.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash case statement output help

greetings, I have a script that is taking input like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd and formating it to be like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adambot
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect input within case statement?

I'm trying to run the logic below but get a `<' is not matched error message when I return a Y or y; printf "Run this ? : " read RESP case $RESP in Y|y) cat <<EOF > file today is Monday EOF ;; N|n) exit 1 ;; esac Any ideas? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h8mmer
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

!!VERY URGENT!! Trouble in getting user input, while using under CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trouble in getting user input while using CASE statement in UNIX

i want to get user input like this please tell which option to chose 1. mango 2. tango 3. rango if user chooses mango then it should execute a set of statements and again ask like this what do you want to do 1.add 2.subtract 3.exit when i choose exit it should goto my previous menu... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: s.deepak
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read command not working as expected

I was trying to write a simple script which will read a text file and count the number of vowels in the file. My code is given below - #!/bin/bash file=$1 v=0 if then echo "$0 filename" exit 1 fi if then echo "$file not a file" exit 2 fi while read -n... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_learner
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using bash case statement

I have the following bash script and it is not accepting the lines "--"|"--""-") "--""-"") while do echo "Current Argument is ${1}" case "$1" in "--"|"--""-") echo "Argument is ${1}" shift # Skip ahead one to the next argument. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

If statement with [[ ]] and regex not working as expected

Using BASH: $ if -- ::00" ]]; then echo "true"; else echo "false"; fi false Mike (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Case statement not working as expected

case "$freq" in " Hz") low=250; high=550;; "8 Hz") low=250; high=1000;; " Hz") low=400; high=1000;; "63 Hz") low=550; high=1000;; " Hz") low=400; high=550;; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Michael Stora
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - case statement

Hi Gurus, I have the below BASH code which does not works for upper case alphabets except Z (upper case Z). What may be the reason. Also escape sequences like \n, \t, \b, \033(1m \033(0m (For bold letter) are not working. case $var in ) echo "Lower case alphabet" ;; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaneshAnanth
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why this script is not working as 'expected' when doing ssh with while read ... really confused?

Hi, I have a script below that is running ssh <host> <command> on some servers. Below is more or less the script. I have to modify it somehow to get rid of the 'confidential' hostnames check_log.bash #!/bin/bash # myPID=$$ parse_log () { sub="parse_log" host=${1} ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies
continue(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands						      continue(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
continue - Skip to the next iteration of a loop SYNOPSIS
continue _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command is typically invoked inside the body of a looping command such as for or foreach or while. It returns a TCL_CONTINUE code, which causes a continue exception to occur. The exception causes the current script to be aborted out to the innermost containing loop command, which then continues with the next iteration of the loop. Catch exceptions are also handled in a few other situations, such as the catch command and the outermost scripts of procedure bodies. EXAMPLE
Print a line for each of the integers from 0 to 10 except 5: for {set x 0} {$x<10} {incr x} { if {$x == 5} { continue } puts "x is $x" } SEE ALSO
break(1T), for(1T), foreach(1T), return(1T), while(1T) KEYWORDS
continue, iteration, loop ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl continue(1T)