Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help with output 32bit signed integer Post 303024290 by jim mcnamara on Friday 5th of October 2018 09:33:49 AM
Old 10-05-2018
Do you have a big Endian 32-bit integer you want to convert?
There are ways to do this, but they depend on what you are trying to do. I could guess, but to give you a good answer requires knowing what you are doing and what UNIX tools you have access to.
What UNIX: [answer here]
What Shell: [answer here]
What I am trying to do: [answer here]

Short answer -
you can write a C macro
You can use dd conv=swab to convert binary files

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capturing the output of grep as integer variable

Hi, I have an expression using grep and nawk that captures the ID number of a given Unix process. It gets printed to screen but I don't know how to declare a variable to this returned value! For example, ps -ef|grep $project | grep -v grep | nawk '{print $2}' This returns my number. How... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: babariba
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

So, like, I signed on with a new hosting company...

... and there was absolutely nothing installed except fedora and ssh. I used yum to install vsftp and httpd, both start and ps shows they're running, and yet I can't connect with either of them. Where on earth or in redhat do I begin looking to unravel this one? I've overseen a server before but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bobby
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add signed and unsigned numbers- awk help

Hi All, I have written the below to add the numbers in a column. Postive numbers are unsigned and negative numbers are signed in the file. After the below cmd I am getting -0.00 , instead of 0.00. Can someone guide me on what I am missing in the cmd. grep '^L' $FileName| awk -F"|" ' {... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsjdrr
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

"Signed Linux" - Only executing signed programs

Hey folks, not sure whether this or the security board is the right forum. If I failed, please move :) So here's the problem: I need to build a Linux environment in which only "signed" processes are allowed to run. When I say signed I don't mean a VeriSign signature like you know it from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: disaster
5 Replies

5. Programming

[ASM] Adding SIGNED numbers?

Hi guys, I want to add a list of SIGNED numbers... but I don't know how to tell the computer to ADD THEM as signed, let me explain further: when adding 200 + (-100) , it becomes 100, but in asm the computer always add them as unsigned, so I always get the 300. Do I have to add them in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamachejo
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Live User Signed Into All tty's 1-6

Why is my Live user signed into tty1 - 6? A few details explaining the only changes I've made: I downloaded Linux Mint 12. Burned, booted, and installed to hard drive. Performed updates. Downloaded Remastersys from repos. Remastered with updates (so I don't have to download them any... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bambuntu
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare string integer with an integer?

hi, how to I do this? i="4.000" if ; then echo "smaller" fi how do I convert the "4.000" to 4? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: h0ujun
4 Replies

8. Programming

Signed and unsigned intergers

when a date type is considered signed and unsigned is that simple referring to - for signed and positive numbers for unsigned? Further if that is the case would mutiplying and dividing ect where 2 signed numbers, like (-2)*(-2) = 4 result in a unsigned. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
3 Replies

9. OS X (Apple)

Unsigned to signed, error?...

Hi guys... Macbook Pro, 13", circa August 2012, OSX 10.7.5, default bash terminal. I require the capability to convert +32767 to -32768 into signed hex words... The example piece code below works perfectly except... #/bin/bash # sign.sh # Unsign to sign... while true do # I have used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies

10. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Self signed ca-bundle.crt expired

Hi, I have an issue with openssl. Basically I have a ca certificate which has expired and I have regenerated a new ca.cert from the ca.key file and I have concatenated the output of the new ca.crt file and ca-bundle.crt to a new ca-bundle.crt. Have restarted apache, however I still get the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
1 Replies
FAXANSWER(8C)															     FAXANSWER(8C)

NAME
faxanswer - tell a HylaFAX server to answer the telephone SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/faxanswer [ -q queue-dir ] [ -h how ] modem DESCRIPTION
faxanswer sends a message to the HylaFAX faxgetty(8C) process servicing modem telling it to answer the telephone. This is useful, for example, when a modem is used on a shared phone line and the server is configured to not normally answer the phone. The specified modem can either be the name (typically the last component of the terminal port the modem is attached to), or the full name of the associated FIFO named pipe file, e.g. ``FIFO.ttym2''. OPTIONS
-q dir Use a spooling area other than /var/spool/fax. -h Specify exactly how the phone should be answered. By default, the server process is instructed to answer the phone and accept any kind of call (voice, data, fax). Discrimination of the type of call is dependent on a modem's adaptive-answer support. The -h option can be used to force the server to answer the phone for particular type of call: one of fax, data, voice, any, extern (to force faxgetty to invoke an external application to to handle the call), or dialX (where X is a dialstring to dial before initiating a fax reception). If using dialX, the specified dialstring will likely need to end with a semicolon (``;''). FILES
/var/spool/fax default spooling area /var/spool/fax/FIFO fifo for contacting faxq Consult hylafax-server(5F) for a complete discussion of the structure and content of the spooling area. SEE ALSO
hylafax-server(5F), faxgetty(8C) May 23, 1996 FAXANSWER(8C)