Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Insert content from file 1 to file 2 in specific criteria meet Post 303024065 by RudiC on Friday 28th of September 2018 04:22:51 AM
Old 09-28-2018
Your question is not clear. Please rephrase detailedly.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract content from a file and insert to another file

please help for the following task... I have to extract the mac address & IP address from the file1: ... 0100004512EEF4 03 192.168.0.7 192.168.0.1 -1 ... 0100779hF5D212 03 192.168.0.8 192.168.0.1 -1 ... 0100789lF5D212 03 192.168.0.9 192.168.0.1 -1 ... ... change the format (addidng... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: fredao
15 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file after a certain line in another file

Hi, it's my first post to this forum. I just started bash and I'm stuck at one issue. I want to include content of a file in another file after a certain line. I'm using sed for inserting one line but how to insert all content of a file ? For example i have a file list.txt with a few lines and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktm
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract error records based on specific criteria from Unix file

Hi, I look for a awk one liner for below issue. input file ABC 1234 abc 12345 ABC 4567 678 XYZ xyz ght 678 ABC 787 yyuu ABC 789 7890 777 zxr hyip hyu mno uii 678 776 ABC ty7 888 All lines should be started with ABC as first field. If a record has another value for 1st... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ratheesh2011
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file into another file before given pattern

I need to insert file x2 into x1 right before first BBB line. $ cat x1 AAA 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 BBB 1 BBB 2 BBB 3 $ cat x2 XXX - insert 1 XXX - insert 2 I need to get AAA 1 AAA 2 AAA 3 XXX - insert 1 XXX - insert 2 BBB 1 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file to another file at a line number which is given by third file

Hi friends, here is my problem. I have three files like this.. cat file1.txt ======= unix is best unix is best linux is best unix is best linux is best linux is best unix is best unix is best cat file2.txt ======== Windows performs better Mac OS performs better Windows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print specific line in file based on criteria

In the file below I am trying to extract a specific instance of path, if the adjacent plugin": "/rundb/api/v1/plugin/49/. Thank you :). file "path": "/results/analysis/output/Home/Auto_user_S5-00580-4-Medexome_65_028/plugin_out/FileExporter_out.52", "plugin": "/rundb/api/v1/plugin/49/",... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of file before the first occurrence of a line starts with a pattern in another file

Hi all, I'm new to scripting.. facing some problems while inserting content of a file into another file... I want to insert content of a file (file2) into file1, before first occurrence of "line starts with pattern" in file1 file1 ====== working on linux its unix world working on... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagadeesh Kumar
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert content of a file right after pattern in another file

suppose i have original file: original.txt: hello how are you you are wonderful what time is it I went to the store last night. and some apple juice then i have another file: anotherfile.txt: with my friends mary, john and harry. We had a great time. We bought food Suppose... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Only print specific xml values that meet two criteria in python

I have a large XML file that I want to parse, and only print one specific value if two values are met. This is the code so far: #!/usr/local/bin/python import xml.etree.ElementTree as ET tree = ET.parse('onedb-dhcp.xml') root = tree.getroot() # This successfully gets all... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brianjb
1 Replies
paste(1)						      General Commands Manual							  paste(1)

Name
       paste - merge file data

Syntax
       paste file1 file2...
       paste -dlist file1 file2...
       paste -s [-dlist] file1 file2...

Description
       In  the	first  two forms, concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.	It treats each file as a column or
       columns of a table and pastes them together horizontally (parallel merging).

In the last form, the command combines subsequent lines of the input file (serial merging).

In all cases, lines are glued together with the tab character, or with characters from an optionally specified  list.   Output  is  to  the
       standard output, so it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if - is used in place of a file name.

Options
       -       Used in place of any file name, to read a line from the standard input.	(There is no prompting).

-dlist  Replaces  characters  of  all but last file with nontabs characters (default tab).  One or more characters immediately following -d
	       replace the default tab as the line concatenation character.  The list is used circularly, i. e. when exhausted, it is reused.	In
	       parallel  merging  (i. e. no -s option), the lines from the last file are always terminated with a new-line character, not from the
	       list.  The list may contain the special escape sequences: 
 (new-line), 	 (tab), \ (backslash), and  (empty string, not a null
	       character).   Quoting  may  be  necessary,  if characters have special meaning to the shell (for example, to get one backslash, use
	       -d"\\" ).
	       Without this option, the new-line characters of each but the last file (or last line in case of the -s option) are  replaced  by  a
	       tab character.  This option allows replacing the tab character by one or more alternate characters (see below).

-s      Merges  subsequent  lines  rather  than	one  from  each input file.  Use tab for concatenation, unless a list is specified with -d
	       option.	Regardless of the list, the very last character of the file is forced to be a new-line.

Examples
       ls | paste -d" " -
       list directory in one column
       ls | paste - - - -
       list directory in four columns
       paste -s -d"	
" file
       combine pairs of lines into lines

Diagnostics
       line too long
		 Output lines are restricted to 511 characters.

too many files
		 Except for -s option, no more than 12 input files may be specified.

See Also
       cut(1), grep(1), pr(1)

paste(1)