Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Regex question
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Regex question Post 303023993 by Don Cragun on Wednesday 26th of September 2018 09:35:47 PM
Old 09-26-2018
Your statement of what you're trying to do is ambiguous. Writing a regular expression to match 01, 03, 05, 07, 10, or 11 in character positions 9 and 10 is easy (and RudiC has shown you REs that do that). But what you mean by "detect any records that contain" those strings is not at all clear. If you match one of those strings, what do you want to do?

Do you want to delete all lines that match those strings in that position?

Do you want to delete all lines that DO NOT match those strings in that position?

Do you want to delete those strings from if they occur in that position leaving the rest of the characters on the lines the matched unchanged?

And, this is a prime example where it is crucial that you tell us what operating system (or at least which version of sed) you're using. Some versions of sed accept non-standard RE forms that are used in some of RudiC's suggestions; other versions of sed will interpret those REs in a different way.

Please explain clearly the operating environment you're using and show us the output you're hoping to produce from the sample input you provided.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regex question

hi, i got a problem with understanding regular expressions. what i wanna do is scanning the wtmp logfile for ips and if a specific ip is echoed id like to be a part of a text to be assigned to it. the scanning is done with #! /bin/bash cat wtmp | strings | egrep -o "+\.+\.+\." | sort -u... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocketkids
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

I have a simple file test.out that contains data in the form of key1=A|shift1 key2=B|shift2 key3=C|shift3 and so on. I need to get it to print A B C I can do it using lookbehind assertion such as this ( ?<==)() yet I was wondering if there is another way of mutching single... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: arushunter
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

Hi I have a question on regex There is a line in a script like my_file="$(echo SunMonTueWed | sed "s//_&g") " My question what does the expression _&g do. Obviously in this example the output is _Sun_Mon_Tue_Wed Another question can i use some trick to get the result like... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xiamin
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

Hi, im sure this is really simple but i cant quite figure it out. how do i test against a word at the beginning of the line but up to the point of a delimiter i.e. ":" for example if i wanted to test against the user in the /etc/passwd file peter:x:101:100:peters account:/var/peter:/bin/sh ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on regex with * and .

I have a basic question regarding * and . while using regex: # echo 3 | grep ^*$ 3 I think I understood why it outputs "3" here (because '*' matches zero or more of the previous character) but I don't understand the output of the following command: # echo 3 | grep ^.$ # I thought I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirage
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

regex question

I have dates in mm/dd/yy format that I wish to convert to yy-mm-dd format. ()/()/() finds them, but when I try to replace with $3-$1-$2 both kate and kwrite treat it as a text literal. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: porphyry5
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

RegEX question

Hi, I am trying to write a regex for myscript and need some input from experts. here is what I must grep for TICKET{Sapce}{Space}{hyphen} so here is the example data TICKET 34554, CT-12345, TICKET 12345: some text here TICKET 2342, CT-12345, MA-12344: some text here TICKET... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rider29
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

Hi guys, I have a file in the following format: cmpr5551 cmpr6002 cmpr93 anne 5454 bbro 434 cmprsvc cmprsvc7 ffgi55 vefe99 cmprsvc8 cmprsvc9 I need to "grep" only the entries which start with "cmpr" followed by the number. All other entries should be excluded. I was trying to use... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

regex question

Hi guys, I am trying to "grep" or "egrep" the following entry out of the file using regex: MACCDB1 or MACCDB2 The problem is that the file might contain other entries which start with "MACCDB" string. I was trying to use regex to "grep" the exact pattern but it fails to output the correct... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex Question

Hi I am trying to match lines having following string BIND dn="uid= putting something like this is not working : /\sBIND dn="uid=/ Any suggestion. Thanks. John (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: john_prince
9 Replies
grep(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   grep(1)

Name
       grep, egrep, fgrep - search file for regular expression

Syntax
       grep [option...] expression [file...]

egrep [option...] [expression] [file...]

fgrep [option...] [strings] [file]

Description
       Commands  of  the family search the input files (standard input default) for lines matching a pattern.  Normally, each line found is copied
       to the standard output.

The command patterns are limited regular expressions in the style of which uses a compact nondeterministic algorithm.  The command patterns
       are  full  regular  expressions.  The command uses a fast deterministic algorithm that sometimes needs exponential space.  The command pat-
       terns are fixed strings.  The command is fast and compact.

In all cases the file name is shown if there is more than one input file.  Take care when using the characters $ * [ ^ | ( ) and   in  the
       expression because they are also meaningful to the Shell.  It is safest to enclose the entire expression argument in single quotes ' '.

The command searches for lines that contain one of the (new line-separated) strings.

The command accepts extended regular expressions.  In the following description `character' excludes new line:

A  followed by a single character other than new line matches that character.

The character ^ matches the beginning of a line.

The character $ matches the end of a line.

A .  (dot) matches any character.

A single character not otherwise endowed with special meaning matches that character.

A  string  enclosed in brackets [] matches any single character from the string.	Ranges of ASCII character codes may be abbreviated
	      as in `a-z0-9'.  A ] may occur only as the first character of the string.  A literal - must be placed where it can't be mistaken	as
	      a range indicator.

A  regular  expression  followed	by  an	* (asterisk) matches a sequence of 0 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular
	      expression followed by a + (plus) matches a sequence of 1 or more matches of the regular expression.  A regular expression  followed
	      by a ? (question mark) matches a sequence of 0 or 1 matches of the regular expression.

Two regular expressions concatenated match a match of the first followed by a match of the second.

Two regular expressions separated by | or new line match either a match for the first or a match for the second.

A regular expression enclosed in parentheses matches a match for the regular expression.

The  order  of  precedence  of  operators at the same parenthesis level is the following:  [], then *+?, then concatenation, then | and new
       line.

Options
       -b	   Precedes each output line with its block number.  This is sometimes useful in locating disk block numbers by context.

-c	   Produces count of matching lines only.

-e expression
		   Uses next argument as expression that begins with a minus (-).

-f file	   Takes regular expression (egrep) or string list (fgrep) from file.

-i	   Considers upper and lowercase letter identical in making comparisons and only).

-l	   Lists files with matching lines only once, separated by a new line.

-n	   Precedes each matching line with its line number.

-s	   Silent mode and nothing is printed (except error messages).	This is useful for checking the error status (see DIAGNOSTICS).

-v	   Displays all lines that do not match specified expression.

-w	   Searches for an expression as for a word (as if surrounded by `<' and `>').  For further information, see only.

-x	   Prints exact lines matched in their entirety only).

Restrictions
       Lines are limited to 256 characters; longer lines are truncated.

Diagnostics
       Exit status is 0 if any matches are found, 1 if none, 2 for syntax errors or inaccessible files.

See Also
       ex(1), sed(1), sh(1)

grep(1)