Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen Post 303023926 by vgersh99 on Tuesday 25th of September 2018 04:26:52 PM
Old 09-25-2018
I usually use this paradigm at the top of a script:
Code:
# Redirect the stdout/stderr to screen AND log file

mkfifo /tmp/$$-err /tmp/$$-out
# to merge stdout/stderr to log file AND screen
( exec tee -a ${FILE_LOG} </tmp/$$-out ) &
( exec tee -a ${FILE_LOG} </tmp/$$-err >&2 ) &

exec 1>/tmp/$$-out
exec 2>/tmp/$$-err
rm -f /tmp/$$-out /tmp/$$-err

Last edited by vgersh99; 09-25-2018 at 05:58 PM..
This User Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr & stdout to a file and the right exit code

Hi all, I need to redirect stdout and stderr to a file in a ksh shell. That's not a problem. But I need also the correct exit code for the executed command. In the example below I redirect correctly the stdout & stderr to a file, but I have the exit code of tee command and not for the mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: up69
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redirect STDOUT and STDERR of chsh

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Forgot to put backslashes in my perl script to not process literals! Hi everyone. I am trying to have this command pass silently. (no output) chsh -s /bin/sh news Currently it outputs. I've tried.... &> /dev/null 1> /dev/null 2>&1 /dev/null 1>&2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend TimeStamp to STDERR & STDOUT to a file

Currently I am redirecting STDERR and STDOUT to a log file by doing the following { My KSH script contents } 2>&1 | $DEBUGLOG Problem is the STDERR & STDOUT do not have any date/time associated. I want this to be something that i can embed into a script opposed to an argument I use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file

I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file but STDOUT only to the same file. I have searched in this formum for a solution, but something like srcipt 3>&1 >&2 2>&3 3>&- | tee errs doesn't work for me... Has anyone an idea??? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuranga
18 Replies
xfs_estimate(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   xfs_estimate(8)

NAME
xfs_estimate - estimate the space that an XFS filesystem will take SYNOPSIS
xfs_estimate [ -h? ] [ -b blocksize ] [ -i logsize ] [ -e logsize ] [ -v ] directory ... DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, xfs_estimate estimates the space that directory would take if it were copied to an XFS filesystem. xfs_esti- mate does not cross mount points. The following definitions are used: KB = *1024 MB = *1024*1024 GB = *1024*1024*1024 The xfs_estimate options are: -b blocksize Use blocksize instead of the default blocksize of 4096 bytes. The modifier k can be used after the number to indicate multiplica- tion by 1024. For example, xfs_estimate -b 64k / requests an estimate of the space required by the directory / on an XFS filesystem using a blocksize of 64K (65536) bytes. -v Display more information, formatted. -h Display usage message. -? Display usage message. -i, -e logsize Use logsize instead of the default log size of 1000 blocks. -i refers to an internal log, while -e refers to an external log. The modifiers k or m can be used after the number to indicate multiplication by 1024 or 1048576, respectively. For example, xfs_estimate -i 1m / requests an estimate of the space required by the directory / on an XFS filesystem using an internal log of 1 megabyte. EXAMPLES
% xfs_estimate -e 10m /var/tmp /var/tmp will take about 4.2 megabytes with the external log using 2560 blocks or about 10.0 megabytes % xfs_estimate -v -e 10m /var/tmp directory bsize blocks megabytes logsize /var/tmp 4096 792 4.0MB 10485760 % xfs_estimate -v /var/tmp directory bsize blocks megabytes logsize /var/tmp 4096 3352 14.0MB 10485760 % xfs_estimate /var/tmp /var/tmp will take about 14.0 megabytes xfs_estimate(8)