Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen Post 303023917 by Corona688 on Tuesday 25th of September 2018 02:35:13 PM
Old 09-25-2018
One file descriptor can't write to two streams by itself. You'll need tee or something else to accomplish this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr & stdout to a file and the right exit code

Hi all, I need to redirect stdout and stderr to a file in a ksh shell. That's not a problem. But I need also the correct exit code for the executed command. In the example below I redirect correctly the stdout & stderr to a file, but I have the exit code of tee command and not for the mv... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: up69
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR message to STDOUT & file at same time

Friends I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file. 2 > &1 | tee file works but it also displays the non error messages to file, while i only need error messages. Can anyone help?? (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikashtulsiyan
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout/stderr to a file globally

Hi I am not if this is possible: is it possible in bach (or another shell) to redirect GLOBALLY the stdout/stderr channels to a file. So, if I have a script script.sh cmd1 cmd2 cmd3 I want all stdout/stderr goes to a file. I know I can do: ./script.sh 1>file 2>&1 OR ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: islegmar
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

Redirect STDOUT and STDERR of chsh

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Forgot to put backslashes in my perl script to not process literals! Hi everyone. I am trying to have this command pass silently. (no output) chsh -s /bin/sh news Currently it outputs. I've tried.... &> /dev/null 1> /dev/null 2>&1 /dev/null 1>&2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirect stdout and stderr to file wrong order problem with subshell

Hello I read a lot of post related to this topic, but nothing helped me. :mad: I'm running a ksh script with subshell what processing some ldap command. I need to check output for possible errors. #!/bin/ksh ... readinput < $QCHAT_INPUT |& while read -p line do echo $line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Osim
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Prepend TimeStamp to STDERR & STDOUT to a file

Currently I am redirecting STDERR and STDOUT to a log file by doing the following { My KSH script contents } 2>&1 | $DEBUGLOG Problem is the STDERR & STDOUT do not have any date/time associated. I want this to be something that i can embed into a script opposed to an argument I use... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect STDOUT & STDERR to file and then on screen

Dear all, redirecting STDOUT & STDERR to file is quite simple, I'm currently using: exec 1>>/tmp/tmp.log; exec 2>>/tmp/tmp.logBut during script execution I would like the output come back again to screen, how to do that? Thanks Lucas (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting STDERR to file and screen, STDOUT only to file

I have to redirect STDERR messages both to screen and also capture the same in a file but STDOUT only to the same file. I have searched in this formum for a solution, but something like srcipt 3>&1 >&2 2>&3 3>&- | tee errs doesn't work for me... Has anyone an idea??? (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: thuranga
18 Replies
multitee(1)						      General Commands Manual						       multitee(1)

NAME
multitee - send multiple inputs to multiple outputs SYNTAX
multitee [ -bsize ] [ -vQq ] [ fd-fd,fd,fd... ] ... DESCRIPTION
multitee sends multiple inputs to multiple outputs. Given an argument of the form fdin-fdout,fdout,fdout... it will send all input on file descriptor fdin to each descriptor fdout. It will exit when all fdin are closed. Several arguments may specify outputs from the same fdin. -fdout and ,fdout are equivalent. If there is an error of any sort (including SIGPIPE) in writing to fdout, multitee prints a warning on stderr and forgets fdout entirely. (This doesn't affect reads on fdin.) If -fdout is replaced by :fdout then multitee will exit upon any SIGPIPEs from that descriptor. Furthermore, efd means that as soon as fdin reaches end of file, fd is considered to reach EOF as well. multitee will warn about any input errors and then treat them like EOF. Unlike tee, multitee tries its best to continue processing all descriptors even while some of them are blocked. However, it will get stuck reading if someone else is reading the descriptor and grabs the input first; it will get stuck writing if an input packet does not fit in an output pipe. (If the output descriptor has NDELAY set, and multitee receives EWOULDBLOCK, it writes one byte at a time to avoid pipe synchronization problems.) While it is tempting to set the descriptors to non-blocking mode, this is dangerous: other processes using the same open file may not be able to deal with NDELAY. It is incredible that none of the major UNIX vendors or standards committees has come up with true per-process non-blocking I/O. (Under BSD 4.3 and its variants, multitee could send timer signals to itself rapidly to inter- rupt any blocking I/O. However, this cannot work under BSD 4.2, and is generally more trouble than it's worth.) A program can set NDELAY before invoking multitee if it knows that no other processes will use the same open file. multitee will also temporarily stop reading an input descriptor if more than 8192 bytes are pending on one of its output descriptors. This does not affect independent fdin-fdout pairs. multitee has several flags: -bsize Change input buffer size from 8192 to size. Unlike the previous version of multitee, this version does not require output buf- fers, and does not copy bytes anywhere between read() and write(). -v Verbose. -q Quiet. multitee will not use stderr in any way (except, of course, if descriptor 2 is specified in an argument). -Q Normal level of verbosity. EXIT VALUE
0 normally. 1 for usage messages. 3 if multitee runs out of memory. 4 in various impossible situations. DIAGNOSTICS
fatal: out of memory multitee has run out of memory. warning: cannot read descriptor Self-explanatory. warning: cannot write descriptor Self-explanatory. EXAMPLES
multitee 0-1,4,5 4>foo 5>bar Same as tee foo bar except for better blocking behavior. multitee 0:1 3:1 4:1,2 6:7 Merge several sources into the output, meanwhile copying 6 to 7 and recording 4's input in 2. tcpclient servermachine smtp multitee 0:7 6:1e0 Same as mconnect on Suns. The e0 tells multitee to quit as soon as the network connection closes. RESTRICTIONS
multitee expects all descriptors involved to be open. Currently a closed descriptor acts like an open descriptor which can never be writ- ten to. BUGS
None known. VERSION
multitee version 3.0, 7/22/91. AUTHOR
Placed into the public domain by Daniel J. Bernstein. SEE ALSO
tee(1) multitee(1)