Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Tape Encryption
Operating Systems AIX Tape Encryption Post 303023732 by AixExplorer on Friday 21st of September 2018 10:10:33 AM
Old 09-21-2018
Thanks for your suggestions guys, I found this alternative once and works very well, the problem is that tar supports files under 2GB, and the filesystems backed up with restore are very, very big (some files more than 200GB) I did a test once with openssl and simply doesn't works.

Also since encryption add time to encrypt using another tool, maybe it's time to consider something native like IBM tape encryption solution or more.

Thanks anyway, I'd like to keep open this post and I'll be posting the advance.

Regards,
FerGo.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File encryption/Key encryption ????

My dilemma, I need to send, deemed confidential, information via e-mail (SMTP). This information is sitting as a file on AIX. Typically I can send this data as a e-mail attachment via what we term a "mail filter" using telnet. I now would like to somehow encrypt the data and send it to a e-mail... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hugow
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Space free on tape /delete a single file on tape

Hi, I' using a sun solaris server, I would like to known if there is the possibility to control how many space is free on a tape and how I can delete a single file on a tape. Thanks DOMENICO (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Minguccio75
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mounting DLT tape and to backup file to tape

Hi there: I'm new here Can anyone help me: I have DS15 Alpha server : Unix 5.1B Now i need to connect a DLVT VS80 1U Rackmount Tape Drive unit. What is the exact comman to mount the DLTape IV?? How do i make backuo @ copy file to the tape? Thanx to all (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ayzeayem
0 Replies

4. SCO

Tape Status shows 2 Hard errors and 5 Underruns on new tape

when I do a tape status /dev/rStp0 I get the following on a new tape and I have tried several: Status : ready beginning-of-tape soft errors : 0 hard errors: 2 underruns: 5 My BackupEdge has stopped backing up my system because it asks for a new volume yet my total system data is under 20... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psytropic
5 Replies

5. AIX

How to make a copy of a tape to another tape?

Hello, We need to make a copy of a backup tape, using the 2 tape recorders in IBM 3582 Tape Library We tried tu use "tcopy", it seems to work fine (no error messages) but we aren't sure if we can rely on it. my question is how to check if the copy succeded or not, but i also want to know... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying tape-to-tape on UNIX

I am using a 4mm tape to backup my Unix system. However, I wanted to make a copy all of the files and archive headers (or just the archive headers if that's possible) created on one of my tapes to another 4mm tape. I only have one tape drive. Is there a command that will complete such task? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: acoco
1 Replies

7. AIX

Ejecting tape on AIX & Some Tape commands

I am trying to use this command to eject the tape mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload but it gives me error mt -f /dev/rmt/0 unload mt: 0511-575 unload is not a recognized subcommand. Usage: mt Subcommand Valid subcommands are: weof eof fsf bsf ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: filosophizer
5 Replies

8. Cybersecurity

File encryption tools with MAC address as an encryption key

Hi all, I'm looking for secure file encryption tools that use MAC address as encryption key. FYI, I'm using Red Hat Enterprise Linux OS. For example: when A wants to send file to B A will encrypt the file with B's computer MAC/IP address as an encryption key This file can only be decrypted... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergionicosta
2 Replies
TAR(1)							      General Commands Manual							    TAR(1)

NAME
tar - tape archiver SYNOPSIS
tar [ key ] [ name ... ] DESCRIPTION
Tar saves and restores files on magtape. Its actions are controlled by the key argument. The key is a string of characters containing at most one function letter and possibly one or more function modifiers. Other arguments to the command are file or directory names specify- ing which files are to be dumped or restored. In all cases, appearance of a directory name refers to the files and (recursively) subdirec- tories of that directory. The function portion of the key is specified by one of the following letters: r The named files are written on the end of the tape. The c function implies this. x The named files are extracted from the tape. If the named file matches a directory whose contents had been written onto the tape, this directory is (recursively) extracted. The owner, modification time, and mode are restored (if possible). If no file argument is given, the entire content of the tape is extracted. Note that if multiple entries specifying the same file are on the tape, the last one overwrites all earlier. t The names of the specified files are listed each time they occur on the tape. If no file argument is given, all of the names on the tape are listed. u The named files are added to the tape if either they are not already there or have been modified since last put on the tape. c Create a new tape; writing begins on the beginning of the tape instead of after the last file. This command implies r. The following characters may be used in addition to the letter which selects the function desired. 0,...,7 This modifier selects the drive on which the tape is mounted. The default is 1. v Normally tar does its work silently. The v (verbose) option causes it to type the name of each file it treats preceded by the function letter. With the t function, v gives more information about the tape entries than just the name. w causes tar to print the action to be taken followed by file name, then wait for user confirmation. If a word beginning with `y' is given, the action is performed. Any other input means don't do it. f causes tar to use the next argument as the name of the archive instead of /dev/mt?. If the name of the file is `-', tar writes to standard output or reads from standard input, whichever is appropriate. Thus, tar can be used as the head or tail of a filter chain Tar can also be used to move hierarchies with the command cd fromdir; tar cf - . | (cd todir; tar xf -) b causes tar to use the next argument as the blocking factor for tape records. The default is 1, the maximum is 20. This option should only be used with raw magnetic tape archives (See f above). The block size is determined automatically when reading tapes (key letters `x' and `t'). l tells tar to complain if it cannot resolve all of the links to the files dumped. If this is not specified, no error messages are printed. m tells tar to not restore the modification times. The mod time will be the time of extraction. FILES
/dev/mt? /tmp/tar* DIAGNOSTICS
Complaints about bad key characters and tape read/write errors. Complaints if enough memory is not available to hold the link tables. BUGS
There is no way to ask for the n-th occurrence of a file. Tape errors are handled ungracefully. The u option can be slow. The b option should not be used with archives that are going to be updated. The current magtape driver cannot backspace raw magtape. If the archive is on a disk file the b option should not be used at all, as updating an archive stored in this manner can destroy it. The current limit on file name length is 100 characters. TAR(1)