Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Writing umlauts to a file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Writing umlauts to a file Post 303023692 by RudiC on Friday 21st of September 2018 04:11:48 AM
Old 09-21-2018
Did you consider using the iconv tool to convert the files between all the encodings?
And, provided a program was compiled "locale-aware", you can force it to work e.g. in the C locale by setting the LC_ALL variable for just this single run:

Code:
LC_ALL=C program arg1 ... argn

These 2 Users Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

writing to a file

Hi All. I have the following simple shell program. It reads a number from the "/user/amit/bldno"; for example: file "bldno" contains value "100" After execution of the program the content should change to 101. --------- #!/usr/bin/tcsh V= `cat /user/amit/bldno` echo $V `rm -rf ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitrajvarma
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem writing file path to txt file

if test -z "$1" then echo "you must give a filename or filepath" else path=`dirname $1` f_name =`basename $1` if path="." then path=`pwd` fi fi cat $f_name $path >> index.txt The only problem I am encountering with this is writing $path to index.txt Keeps going gaga: cat:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vintage_hegoog
1 Replies

3. Programming

Writing a file in C

Hi All I am new to C and trying to write a code to get a file as an output. My text file should look like: <var1>tab<var2>tab<var3>...upto the elements in an array <varb1>tab<varb2>tab<varb3>...upto the elements in an array Can someone please guide me how to write the code or a sample... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitsinha
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for Log / Bad file and Reading and writing to a flat file

Need to develop a unix shell script for the below requirement and I need your assistance: 1) search for file.log and file.bad file in a directory and read them 2) pull out "Load_Start_Time", "Data_File_Name", "Error_Type" from log file 4) concatinate each row from bad file as... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlpathir
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing rows in same file and writing the result in new file

Help needed... Can you tell me how to compare the last two couple entries in a file and print their result in new file..:confused: I have one file Check1.txt \abc1 12345 \abc2 12327 \abc1 12345 \abc2 12330 I want to compare the entries in Check1 and write to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kichu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing file name and date from LS command into a file to be imported into mysql

I am looking to do a ls on a folder and have the output of the ls be structured so that is is modificaiton date, file name with the date in a format that is compatible with mysql. I am trying to build a table that stores the last modification date of certain files so I can display it on some web... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: personalt
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a file extracting information writing to a file

Hi I am trying to extract information out of a file but keep getting grep cant open errors the code is below: #bash #extract orders with blank address details # # obtain the current date # set today to the current date ccyymmdd format today=`date +%c%m%d | cut -c24-31` echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bruble
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help in not fetching a file while file writing operation is not completed

Hi All, We have a Unix program in oracle when we run the program this connects to specified ftp and will get the file into local server. We are facing a problem like when file writing operations is not completed, this program is getting the incomplete file. Could anyone please help me... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: world.apps
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing a script that will take the first line from each file and store it in an output file

Hi, I have 1000 files names data1.txt through data1000.txt inside a folder. I want to write a script that will take each first line from the files and write them as output into a new file. How do I go about doing that? Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - writing matching pattern to a new file and deleting it from the current file

Hello , I have comma delimited file with over 20 fileds that i need to do some validations on. I have to check if certain fields are null and then write the line containing the null field into a new file and then delete the line from the current file. Can someone tell me how i could go... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: goddevil
2 Replies
setlocale(3)						     Library Functions Manual						      setlocale(3)

NAME
setlocale - Changes or queries the program's current locale LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc) SYNOPSIS
#include <locale.h> char *setlocale( int category, const char *locale); STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: setlocale(): XSH5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. PARAMETERS
Specifies the category of the locale to set or query. The category can be LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, LC_MONETARY, LC_NUMERIC, or LC_TIME. Points to a string that specifies the locale. DESCRIPTION
The setlocale() function sets or queries the appropriate portion of the program's locale as specified by the category and locale parame- ters. The LC_ALL value for the category parameter names the entire locale; the other values name only a portion of the program locale, as follows: Affects the behavior of collation functions and regular expressions. Affects the behavior of character classification functions, character conversion functions, and regular expressions. Affects the language used to display application program and utilities messages (when translations of the messages are available) and the strings expected as affirmative and negative responses. Affects the behavior of functions that handle monetary values. Affects the radix character for the formatted input/output functions and the string conversion functions. Affects the behavior of the time conversion functions. The behavior of the language information function defined in the nl_langinfo() function is also affected by settings of the category param- eter. The locale parameter points to a character string that identifies the locale that is to be used to set the category parameter. The locale parameter can specify either the name of a locale, such as fr_CA.ISO8859-1, or one of the following: Sets the locale to be the minimal environment for C-language translation. If setlocale() is not invoked, the C locale is the default. Operational behavior within the C locale is defined separately for each interface function that is affected by the locale string. Equivalent to C. Specifies that the locale should be set based on the user's current values for the locale environment variables. Queries the program's current locale setting and returns the name of the locale; does not change the current setting. If the locale parameter is set to the empty string (""), setlocale() checks the user's environment variables in the following order: First it checks the value of the LC_ALL environment variable. If it is set, setlocale() sets the specified category of the international envi- ronment to that value and returns the string corresponding to the locale set (that is, the value of the environment variable, not "", the null string). If the environment variable LC_ALL is not set or is set to the empty string, setlocale() next checks the corresponding envi- ronment variable for the category specified. If the environment variable for the category is set, setlocale() sets the specified category of the international environment to that value. If the environment variable corresponding to the specified category is not set or is set to the empty string, then setlocale() checks the LANG environment variable. If the LANG environment variable is set, then setlocale() sets the category to the locale specified by the LANG environment variable. Lastly, if the LANG environment variable is not set or is set to the empty string, the setlocale() function sets the category to the POSIX (C) locale. If the locale parameter is a pointer to NULL, the setlocale() function returns the name of the program's current locale for the specified category but does not change the locale. If the locale specified by the locale parameter or by the environment variable is invalid, setlocale() returns a null pointer and does not change the program's locale. EXAMPLES
The following example sets all categories in the international environment based on the user's environment variables: (void)setlocale (LC_ALL, ""); To satisfy this request, the setlocale() function first checks all the environment variables. If any environment variable is invalid, setlocale() returns a null pointer and the international environment is not changed by this function call. If all the rel- evant environment variables are valid, setlocale() sets the international environment to reflect the values of the environment vari- ables. The following example sets a specific category in the international environment to an explicit locale. (void)setlocale(LC_MESSAGES,"fr_FR.ISO8859-1"); The following subroutine queries and saves the current program locale, then explic- itly sets the locale to the C locale, performs some operations in the C locale, and finally, restores the locale to one saved. The main program typically uses setlocale() to set the program's locale to the one specified by the user's environment. However, if a subroutine needs to execute in a specific locale, the subroutine must save and later restore the setting made by the main program. #include <locale.h> #include <string.h> void Do_stuff(void) { char *test_l, *saved_l; test_l=setlocale(LC_ALL,NULL); saved_l=strdup(test_l); test_l=setlocale(LC_ALL,"C"); /* Perform operations in the C locale */ /* Restore the original locale */ test_l=setlocale(LC_ALL,saved_l); return; } NOTES
There is only one locale per process and the locale state is common to all threads within that process. A threaded application should call setlocale() in the main part of the application before any threads are created. If a call to setlocale() changes the setting of the LC_MESSAGES category, this operation has no effect on any message catalogs that are currently open. RETURN VALUES
If the setlocale() function succeeds in setting the program's locale to the one specified by the locale parameter, the function returns the string associated with the specified category parameter for the new locale. Note that the locale parameter can specify the locale name explicitly or, if locale is an empty string, the locale is specified by the value of the corresponding environment variable. If the setlo- cale() function cannot set the program's locale as requested, the function returns a null pointer and leaves the program's locale unchanged. If the category parameter has a value of LC_ALL, the return value is a series of locale names separated by spaces. The locale names corre- spond to the categories in the following order: LC_COLLATE LC_CTYPE LC_MONETARY LC_NUMERIC LC_TIME LC_MESSAGES If the locale parameter is a null pointer, the setlocale() function returns the string associated with the category parameter for the pro- gram's current locale, and leaves the program's locale unchanged. The string returned by the setlocale() function is such that a subsequent call with that string and its associated category restores that part of the program's locale. The string returned must not be modified by the program, but is overwritten by a subsequent call to the set- locale() function. RELATED INFORMATION
Functions: atof(3), catclose(3), catgets(3), catopen(3), ctype(3), localeconv(3), nl_langinfo(3), printf(3), scanf(3), strfmon(3), strf- time(3), string(3), wctype(3), wprintf(3), wscanf(3) Files: locale(4) Others: i18n_intro(5), l10n_intro(5), standards(5) Writing Software for the International Market delim off setlocale(3)