Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting csv file to flat file Post 303023609 by Don Cragun on Thursday 20th of September 2018 12:27:53 AM
Old 09-20-2018
Given that the sample output you provided is not formatted at all like you said you wanted and, instead, just changes the <comma>s in your CSV file to <space>s; I don't know whether you want the input data to be left-justified in the output or right-justified.

Assuming that you want left-justified text in your twenty character and ten character output fields, two (of many) simple ways to do what you want include an awk script:
Code:
awk -F, '{printf("%-20.20s%-10.10s\n",$1,$2)}' file.csv

and a shell while read loop:
Code:
while IFS=, read c i
do	printf '%-20.20s%-10.10s\n' "$c" "$i"
done < file.csv

if you want right-justified text instead of left-justified text, remove both of the minus signs from the printf format strings in either of the above scripts.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Pivot file to flat file

I have a file in this format. P1 P2 P3......................... A001 v11 v21 v31...................... A002 v12 v22 v32............................ A003 v13 v23 v33.......................... A004 v14 v24 v34.............................. . . . A00n... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vskr72
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to convert a flat file to CSV file

Hi , I have a file with contents as below: Contract Cancellation Report UARCNCL LOS CODE DATE REAS TYPE AMOUNT AMOUNT LETTER BY ========= ======= ==== ==== ==== ========= ==== ==== 8174739 7641509 1S NONE CRCD 30-JUN-2008 NPAR N .00 .00 CCAN 8678696 8091709 1S NONE DDEB 30-JUN-2008... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkumudha
14 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Column to Rows in a Flat file

Hi, Request To guide me in writing a shell program for the following requirement: Example:if the Input File contains the follwing data Input File Data: 80723240029,12,323,443,88,98,7,98,67,87 80723240030,12,56,6,,,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,12,56,6,7,2,3,88,98,7,98,67,87... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinikal
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem in converting password protected excel file to csv file in unix

I need to convert a password protected excel file which will be in UNIX server to a comma separated file. For this I need to open the excel file in UNIX box but the UNIX box doesn't prompt for password instead it is opened in an encrypted manner. I could manually ftp the excel file to local... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devivish
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting .csv file into .xls file and send it to inbox

Hi All, I wrote a script to extract data from Oracle DB and place it in a text file , and I have coverted .txt file into comma seperated .csv file and I sent it to my mail box . I can get .xls file in my inbox.I am getting all data in same column and in different rows , without column... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krthkmuthu
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cleaning up spaces from fixed width file while converting to csv file

Open to a sed/awk/or perl alternative so that i can stick command into my bash script. This is a problem I resolve using a combination of cut commands - but that is getting convoluted. So would really appreciate it if someone could provide a better solution which basically replaces all... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svn
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a flat file in XML

Hello Friends, I am new to UNIX shell scripting. Using bash....Could you please help me in converting a flat file into an XML style output file. Flat file: (Input File entries looks like this) John Miller: 617-569-7996:15 Bunting lane, staten Island, NY: 10/21/79: 60600 The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: humkhn
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Converting the date format in a flat file

Hi All, I am new to this forum, could any one help me out in resolving the below issue. Input of the flat file contains several lines of text for example find below: 5022090,2,4,7154,88,,,,,4/1/2011 0:00,Z,L,2 5022090,3,1,6648,88,,,,,4/1/2011 0:00,Z,,1... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_sagar
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting XML to Flat file

Hi Friends, I want to convert a XML file to flat file. Sample I/p: <?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' ?> <DataFile xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' contactCount='4999' date='2012-04-14' time='22:00:14' xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation='gen .xsd'> <Contact... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading a csv file and creating a flat file

hi i have written a script for reading a csv file and creating a flat file, suggest if this script can be optimized #---------------- FILENAME="$1" SCRIPT=$(basename $0) #-----------------------------------------// function usage { echo "\nUSAGE: $THIS_SCRIPT file_to_process\n"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mprakasheee
3 Replies
nl(1)							      General Commands Manual							     nl(1)

NAME
nl - line numbering filter SYNOPSIS
type] type] type] start#] incr] sep] width] format] num] delim] [file] DESCRIPTION
reads lines from the named file or the standard input if no file is named and reproduces the lines on the standard output. Lines are num- bered on the left in accordance with the command options in effect. views the text it reads in terms of logical pages. Line numbering is reset at the start of each logical page. A logical page consists of a header, a body, and a footer section. Empty sections are valid. Different line numbering options are independently available for header, body, and footer (e.g., no numbering of header and footer lines while numbering blank lines only in the body). The start of logical page sections are signaled by input lines containing nothing but the following delimiter character(s): | Line contents | Start of --------------+---------- ::: | header :: | body : | footer Unless told otherwise, assumes the text being read is in a single logical page body. Command options can appear in any order and can be intermingled with an optional file name. Only one file can be named. recognizes the following options: Specifies which logical page body lines are to be numbered. Recognized types and their meanings are: number all lines; number lines with printable text only; no line numbering; number only lines that contain the regular expression specified in string. Basic Regular Expression syntax is supported (see regexp(5)). The default type for logical page body is (text lines numbered). Same as except for header. Default type for logical page header is (no lines numbered). Same as except for footer. Default for logical page footer is (no lines numbered). Do not restart numbering at logical page delimiters. start# is the initial value used to number logical page lines. Default is incr is the increment value used to number logical page lines. Default is sep is the character or characters used in separating the line number and the corresponding text line. Default sep is a tab. width is the number of character columns to be used for the line number. Default width is format is the line numbering format. Recognized values are: left justified, leading zeroes suppressed; right justified, leading zeroes suppressed; right justified, leading zeroes kept. Default format is (right justified). num is the number of consecutive blank lines to be treated and numbered as a single line. For example, results in every third adjacent blank line being numbered if the appropriate and/or option is set. Default is The delimiter characters specifying the start of a logical page section can be changed from the default characters to two user-specified characters. If only one character is entered, the second character remains the default character No space should appear between the and the delimiter characters, how- ever, this restriction is not there for (see standards(5)) compliant To define a backslash as the delimiter, use two backslashes. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
For information about the UNIX Standard environment, see standards(5). Environment Variables determines the collating sequence used in evaluating regular expressions. determines the characters matched by character class expressions in regular expressions. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single-byte character code sets are supported. EXAMPLES
Number starting at line number 10, using an increment of ten. The logical page delimiters are and SEE ALSO
pr(1), environ(5), lang(5), regexp(5), standards(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
nl(1)