Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: A rant...
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? A rant... Post 303023589 by Corona688 on Wednesday 19th of September 2018 01:38:26 PM
Old 09-19-2018
They have to start somewhere, and have to want to. Having the vague idea they want to program won't motivate them to crack books thicker than their wrist. Most people never learn this stuff, and they're only nine!

Whatever they begin with should be simple and interactive. Mindstorm(or whatever Lego calls it now) might do the trick and won't kill them. I learned QBASIC and even now still use it a few times a year to rapidly visualize something - drawing one graphical line in QBASIC is "MODE 12", "LINE (X,X)-(Y,Y),color". Name a "real" language which can do that without five times as much preamble!

Anyway, young also means sharp. They will quickly discover the limitations of whatever tinkertoy language you give them, and that may motivate them to learn something better. I hated that couldn't do STRING=print a,b,c in BASIC. But I found that feature in C as "sprintf", which ended up leading me to Linux, UNIX, Web Development, networking, shell, and my career up to now.

Last edited by Corona688; 09-19-2018 at 02:48 PM..

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I rant?

First of all, apologies to the admins for not reading the rules totally and missing the bit about ranting off about other OSs. But that raises a question. Where do you go to have a good rant, to vent your disgust at various corporations and thier hideous behaviour? :confused: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: u6ik
2 Replies

2. What is on Your Mind?

One liners, quick rant...

Hi fellas and fella-esses... There are numerous threads on here where people ask for, and often expect, solutions to difficult problems solved using _one_liners_. Why do they insist as such when it is virtually no different in execution time with well thought out indented code? Is it me... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
12 Replies
libspectrum(3)							     Emulators							    libspectrum(3)

NAME
libspectrum - Sinclair ZX Spectrum support library DESCRIPTION
libspectrum is a library for reading and writing some of the file formats used by emulators of the Sinclair ZX Spectrum. It also contains routines providing information about the various Spectrum clones which were available. The file formats currently supported by libspectrum are: o Snapshots: .z80, .szx, .sna (all read/write), .zxs, .sp., .snp and +D snapshots (read only). o Tape images: .tzx, .tap, .spc, .sta, .ltp (read/write) and Warajevo .tap, Z80Em and CSW version 1 (read only). o Input recordings: .rzx (read/write). o Disk images: .dsk (both plain and extended), .fdi, .sad, .scl, .td0, .trd and .udi (identification only). o Timex cartridges: .dck (read only). o IDE hard disk images: .hdf (read/write). o Microdrive cartridge images: .mdr (read/write). Additionally, any files compressed with bzip2(3) or gzip(3) can be read and will be transparently decompressed. Full documentation for libspectrum is provided in `libspectrum.txt'. SEE ALSO
bzip2(3), fuse(1), fuse-utils(1), gzip(3) The comp.sys.sinclair Spectrum FAQ, at http://www.worldofspectrum.org/faq/index.html. AUTHOR
Philip Kendall (philip-fuse@shadowmagic.org.uk) Version 1.0.0 16th December, 2010 libspectrum(3)