Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bypass crontab??
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bypass crontab?? Post 303023443 by apmcd47 on Monday 17th of September 2018 04:40:38 AM
Old 09-17-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuntyScrunt
The crontab is trying to run a graphical application, but it gets run before the desktop is initialised, therefore the app fails. At this point the boot process stops, there is no PATH, there are no os variables, there are no shares, no smb no cifs, no nothing.

This is also the case with ssh, so when I login I have the prompt, but the os is completely dumb. I have to know where every command is on disk, and I don't.

So surely the easiest way around this is to know where the offending crontab file is, nano/vim and sudo. Without Sudo I can't do anything.

The jumper sounds interesting, os is Jessie based, or at least Debian based. I'll look into that now. Thanks.
Try logging in with ssh and typing this into the command prompt
Code:
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
export PATH

You should then be able to type in the commands without their full path names.

Andrew

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to bypass error in shell script?

Hi again, I have a script that moves files based on filelist: ------------------------------ filelist1=./rated.txt for file in $(< $filelist1) do mv ./$file ./Backup/$file done ------------------------------ If the file in filelist is not found from the folder the script fails.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmikahan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I bypass the Prompt in SFTP

I am on a sun solaris server and trying to create a script that will test if SFTP is up and running on a remote server (which could be unix or windows). My thought was to simply invoke sftp and if I get the prompt ofr "Password" then that is an indication that the service is running and I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pierluigi22
2 Replies

3. Solaris

can't bypass password authentication

I can able to SFTP from my web server unix to apps server unix end. but the other way from APPS server to Web server is still asking me the password. I have done same procedure both side. still i am having same problem. Any one help on this. thanks, regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijill
3 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

authentication bypass vulnerability

what does it mean? I searched in google but I could not find a clear document that explain to me what does it mean. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to bypass the password field

Hello all Im trying to write a script that can get past the "enter password" field.Coming to the details, Im planning to write a script that can actually check for the validity of certificates in websphere. There is a utility "keytool" that helps provide this information.However if we want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Division By Zero Bypass

Hi Friends, I don't understand why "a" is always being printed as zero, when I execute the following command. awk '{if($6||$8||$10||$12==0)a=b=c=d=0;else (a=$5/$6);(b=$7/$8);(c=$9/$10);(d=$11/$12); {print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
6 Replies

7. HP-UX

Bypass stale PE ?

Hello, I have an ancient HP-UX 11.11 system where I have a logical volume marked stale and I can't get it sync'd. I have tried lvsync and lvreduce/lvextend to no avail. It is just one 4Mb PE on the disk that I can't get current. # lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol5 | grep stale LV Status ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding 'ls' to bypass system alias

Heyas Just asking, is there a better to make sure the script will use the binary and not some alias? LS=$(locate "ls"|grep /bin/ls$ | head -n 1) Thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to bypass rm command when there are no files to delete?

Hi, Below command works fine when we have other files apart from hello.txtls | ggrep -v hello* | xargs rm -rfBut, if there is only one file i.e hello.txt the rm command does not find anything to delete and the script hangs. While there could be trivial ways to check using if conditions if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
CRONTAB(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						CRONTAB(1)

NAME
crontab -- maintain crontab files for individual users (V3) SYNOPSIS
crontab [-u user] file crontab [-u user] { -l | -r | -e } DESCRIPTION
The crontab utility is the program used to install, deinstall or list the tables used to drive the cron(8) daemon in Vixie Cron. Each user can have their own crontab, and though these are files in /var, they are not intended to be edited directly. If the allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the allow file does not exist but the deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, then depending on site-dependent configuration parameters, only the super user will be allowed to use this command, or all users will be able to use this command. The format of these files is one username per line, with no leading or trailing whitespace. Lines of other formats will be ignored, and so can be used for comments. The first form of this command is used to install a new crontab from some named file or standard input if the pseudo-filename '-' is given. The following options are available: -u Specify the name of the user whose crontab is to be tweaked. If this option is not given, crontab examines ``your'' crontab, i.e., the crontab of the person executing the command. Note that su(1) can confuse crontab and that if you are running inside of su(1) you should always use the -u option for safety's sake. -l Display the current crontab on standard output. -r Remove the current crontab. -e Edit the current crontab using the editor specified by the VISUAL or EDITOR environment variables. The specified editor must edit the file in place; any editor that unlinks the file and recreates it cannot be used. After you exit from the editor, the modified crontab will be installed automatically. FILES
/var/cron/allow List of users allowed to use crontab /var/cron/deny List of users prohibited from using crontab /var/cron/tabs Directory for personal crontab files DIAGNOSTICS
A fairly informative usage message appears if you run it with a bad command line. SEE ALSO
crontab(5), cron(8) STANDARDS
The crontab command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') with the exception that the dangerous variant of calling crontab without a file name in the first form of the command is not allowed by this implementation. The pseudo-filename '-' must be specified to read from standard input. The new command syntax differs from previous versions of Vixie Cron, as well as from the classic SVR3 syntax. AUTHORS
Paul Vixie <paul@vix.com> BSD
May 13, 2010 BSD