Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bypass crontab??
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Bypass crontab?? Post 303023443 by apmcd47 on Monday 17th of September 2018 04:40:38 AM
Old 09-17-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuntyScrunt
The crontab is trying to run a graphical application, but it gets run before the desktop is initialised, therefore the app fails. At this point the boot process stops, there is no PATH, there are no os variables, there are no shares, no smb no cifs, no nothing.

This is also the case with ssh, so when I login I have the prompt, but the os is completely dumb. I have to know where every command is on disk, and I don't.

So surely the easiest way around this is to know where the offending crontab file is, nano/vim and sudo. Without Sudo I can't do anything.

The jumper sounds interesting, os is Jessie based, or at least Debian based. I'll look into that now. Thanks.
Try logging in with ssh and typing this into the command prompt
Code:
PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
export PATH

You should then be able to type in the commands without their full path names.

Andrew

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to bypass error in shell script?

Hi again, I have a script that moves files based on filelist: ------------------------------ filelist1=./rated.txt for file in $(< $filelist1) do mv ./$file ./Backup/$file done ------------------------------ If the file in filelist is not found from the folder the script fails.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tmikahan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I bypass the Prompt in SFTP

I am on a sun solaris server and trying to create a script that will test if SFTP is up and running on a remote server (which could be unix or windows). My thought was to simply invoke sftp and if I get the prompt ofr "Password" then that is an indication that the service is running and I am... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pierluigi22
2 Replies

3. Solaris

can't bypass password authentication

I can able to SFTP from my web server unix to apps server unix end. but the other way from APPS server to Web server is still asking me the password. I have done same procedure both side. still i am having same problem. Any one help on this. thanks, regards (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijill
3 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

authentication bypass vulnerability

what does it mean? I searched in google but I could not find a clear document that explain to me what does it mean. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: programAngel
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to bypass the password field

Hello all Im trying to write a script that can get past the "enter password" field.Coming to the details, Im planning to write a script that can actually check for the validity of certificates in websphere. There is a utility "keytool" that helps provide this information.However if we want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolkid
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Division By Zero Bypass

Hi Friends, I don't understand why "a" is always being printed as zero, when I execute the following command. awk '{if($6||$8||$10||$12==0)a=b=c=d=0;else (a=$5/$6);(b=$7/$8);(c=$9/$10);(d=$11/$12); {print... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
6 Replies

7. HP-UX

Bypass stale PE ?

Hello, I have an ancient HP-UX 11.11 system where I have a logical volume marked stale and I can't get it sync'd. I have tried lvsync and lvreduce/lvextend to no avail. It is just one 4Mb PE on the disk that I can't get current. # lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol5 | grep stale LV Status ... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: port43
17 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding 'ls' to bypass system alias

Heyas Just asking, is there a better to make sure the script will use the binary and not some alias? LS=$(locate "ls"|grep /bin/ls$ | head -n 1) Thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to bypass rm command when there are no files to delete?

Hi, Below command works fine when we have other files apart from hello.txtls | ggrep -v hello* | xargs rm -rfBut, if there is only one file i.e hello.txt the rm command does not find anything to delete and the script hangs. While there could be trivial ways to check using if conditions if... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
cron(1M)                                                  System Administration Commands                                                  cron(1M)

NAME
cron - clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
cron starts a process that executes commands at specified dates and times. You can specify regularly scheduled commands to cron according to instructions found in crontab files in the directory /var/spool/cron/crontabs. Users can submit their own crontab file using the crontab(1) command. Commands which are to be executed only once can be submitted using the at(1) command. cron only examines crontab or at command files during its own process initialization phase and when the crontab or at command is run. This reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. As cron never exits, it should be executed only once. This is done routinely by way of the svc:/system/cron:default service. The file /etc/cron.d/FIFO file is used as a lock file to prevent the execution of more than one instance of cron. cron captures the output of the job's stdout and stderr streams, and, if it is not empty, mails the output to the user. If the job does not produce output, no mail is sent to the user. An exception is if the job is an at(1) job and the -m option was specified when the job was submitted. cron and at jobs are not executed if your account is locked. Jobs and processses execute. The shadow(4) file defines which accounts are not locked and will have their jobs and processes executed. Setting cron Jobs Across Timezones The timezone of the cron daemon sets the system-wide timezone for cron entries. This, in turn, is by set by default system-wide using /etc/default/init. If some form of daylight savings or summer/winter time is in effect, then jobs scheduled during the switchover period could be executed once, twice, or not at all. Setting cron Defaults To keep a log of all actions taken by cron, you must specify CRONLOG=YES in the /etc/default/cron file. If you specify CRONLOG=NO, no log- ging is done. Keeping the log is a user configurable option since cron usually creates huge log files. You can specify the PATH for user cron jobs by using PATH= in /etc/default/cron. You can set the PATH for root cron jobs using SUPATH= in /etc/default/cron. Carefully consider the security implications of setting PATH and SUPATH. Example /etc/default/cron file: CRONLOG=YES PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb: This example enables logging and sets the default PATH used by non-root jobs to /usr/bin:/usr/ucb:. Root jobs continue to use /usr/sbin:/usr/bin. The cron log file is periodically rotated by logadm(1M). FILES
/etc/cron.d Main cron directory /etc/cron.d/FIFO Lock file /etc/default/cron cron default settings file /var/cron/log cron history information /var/spool/cron Spool area /etc/cron.d/queuedefs Queue description file for at, batch, and cron /etc/logadm.conf Configuration file for logadm ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
svcs(1), at(1), crontab(1), sh(1), logadm(1M), svcadm(1M), queuedefs(4), shadow(4), attributes(5), smf(5) NOTES
The cron service is managed by the service management facility, smf(5), under the service identifier: svc:/system/cron:default Administrative actions on this service, such as enabling, disabling, or requesting restart, can be performed using svcadm(1M). The ser- vice's status can be queried using the svcs(1) command. DIAGNOSTICS
A history of all actions taken by cron is stored in /var/cron/log and possibly in /var/cron/olog. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 cron(1M)