Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to escape colon sign from variable in shell? Post 303023253 by RudiC on Thursday 13th of September 2018 11:13:57 AM
Old 09-13-2018
That missing n could indicate some non-printing control char in your input file. Sure there's none? How did you create that file?

If you need the colons in your input file escaped, you could use

- "process substitution" for your input file, like done < <(sed 's/:/\\:/g' duration)
- "parameter expansion" for the COL2 variable, like inserting COL2=${COL2//:/\\:}; before the ffmpeg command.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sign on/Sign off logging script

I'd like to make a script that I can execute every time I sign on to my linux box that keeps track of the time and allows to me to add a remark to a file. So basically once I log in, I run the script, and it outputs the date and time to a text file (log.txt). But that isn't my problem. I need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Glider
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need help to escape special characters in Korn shell script

Hi, I would like to display the following message from my shell (Korn) script Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt" My code looks as follows print "Copy "old_file.txt" to "new_file.txt"" However, when I execute the script, I get the following output Copy old_file.txt to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogers42
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to escape from the shell

In a Script I need to push several messages to a function. My problem here is: I have to print the string v$LOCK on the resulting line which spits out the message. What I want here is not printing the contents of $LOCK I want to escape the shell and printout v$LOCK on the line. But don't know how... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdohn
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Variable with @ sign is driving me crazy

Ok so I am working on a command that is going to do a Dig @ a certain IP address which is enclosed in a variable. Now I thought I had this figure out because it works. The problem is that it does not ALWAYS work. the variable is IP=192.168.1.1 the commands I have tried are dig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrEddy
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk not escape my bash variable

I tried to parse data from switch configuration files vlan 1727 name SQ5506-15 by port tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 untagged ethe 1/13 ! vlan 2105 name SQ5620-7007(BR2) by port tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 untagged ethe 1/17 ! interface ethernet 1/13 port-name SQ5506-15.nic0 rate-limit... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: winggundamth
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL : check + or - sign in a variable

I have a variable $max = -3; It can be $max = +3; I need to check if this variable is a positive/negative value. if its positive, should print "positive" if not "negative" How can this be done? Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: irudayaraj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell not parsing $ sign from file

PFB my shell script which reads a csv file to process it ############################################### fn_java(){ echo JAVA_TOP is $JAVA_TOP echo "cp $filename $filepath/$filename" cp $filename $filepath/$filename } #########################################... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prasannag87
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store a escape character in a Variable.?

How to store escape character in the variable. Var=abc,def,ghi,jkl echo ${Var} | sed -e "s/,/|\\\\./g;s/^/\\\\./g" \.abc|\.def|\.ghi|\.hjk Var1=`echo ${Var} | sed -e "s/,/|\\\./g;s/^/\\\./g"` Actual: ------- echo $Var1 .abc|.def|.ghi|.jkl Expected: --------- echo $Var1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable has value with = or == sign

I have a script which is reading value from property file and doing replacement in source location which contains multiple files. property file has values abc=xyz; yux=1;version=3.0; bcd=123;apple==mango when my script does search and reads value from property file. its replacing value... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Shamkamde
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape characters in a variable

Debian 9 64x - LXDE How can i disable escape sequences in a variable? #!/bin/bash #mainscript . "./links.bash" echo "$red_start This text should be red $color_end"#!/bin/bash #links.bash #colors red_start="\eOutput that i get: \e Output expected: This text should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: int3g3r
5 Replies
RS(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     RS(1)

NAME
rs -- reshape a data array SYNOPSIS
rs [-CcSs[x]] [-GgKkw N] [-EeHhjmnTtyz] [rows [cols]] DESCRIPTION
rs reads the standard input, interpreting each line as a row of blank-separated entries in an array, transforms the array according to the options, and writes it on the standard output. With no arguments it transforms stream input into a columnar format convenient for terminal viewing. The shape of the input array is deduced from the number of lines and the number of columns on the first line. If that shape is inconvenient, a more useful one might be obtained by skipping some of the input with the -k option. Other options control interpretation of the input col- umns. The shape of the output array is influenced by the rows and cols specifications, which should be positive integers. If only one of them is a positive integer, rs computes a value for the other which will accommodate all of the data. When necessary, missing data are supplied in a manner specified by the options and surplus data are deleted. There are options to control presentation of the output columns, including transposition of the rows and columns. The options are as follows: -C[x] Output columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be '^I'. -c[x] Input columns are delimited by the single character x. A missing x is taken to be '^I'. -E Consider each character of input as an array entry. -e Consider each line of input as an array entry. -GN The gutter width has N percent of the maximum column width added to it. -gN The gutter width (inter-column space), normally 2, is taken to be N. -H Like -h, but also print the length of each line. -h Print the shape of the input array and do nothing else. The shape is just the number of lines and the number of entries on the first line. -j Right adjust entries within columns. -KN Like -k, but print the ignored lines. -kN Ignore the first N lines of input. -m Do not trim excess delimiters from the ends of the output array. -n On lines having fewer entries than the first line, use null entries to pad out the line. Normally, missing entries are taken from the next line of input. -S[x] Like -C, but padded strings of x are delimiters. -s[x] Like -c, but maximal strings of x are delimiters. -T Print the pure transpose of the input, ignoring any rows or cols specification. -t Fill in the rows of the output array using the columns of the input array, that is, transpose the input while honoring any rows and cols specifications. -wN The width of the display, normally 80, is taken to be the positive integer N. -y If there are too few entries to make up the output dimensions, pad the output by recycling the input from the beginning. Normally, the output is padded with blanks. -z Shrink column widths to fit the largest entries appearing in them. With no arguments, rs transposes its input, and assumes one array entry per input line unless the first non-ignored line is longer than the display width. Option letters which take numerical arguments interpret a missing number as zero unless otherwise indicated. EXAMPLES
rs can be used as a filter to convert the stream output of certain programs (e.g., spell, du, file, look, nm, who, and wc(1)) into a conve- nient ``window'' format, as in $ who | rs This function has been incorporated into the ls(1) program, though for most programs with similar output rs suffices. To convert stream input into vector output and back again, use $ rs 1 0 | rs 0 1 A 10 by 10 array of random numbers from 1 to 100 and its transpose can be generated with $ jot -r 100 | rs 10 10 | tee array | rs -T >tarray In the editor vi(1), a file consisting of a multi-line vector with 9 elements per line can undergo insertions and deletions, and then be neatly reshaped into 9 columns with :1,$!rs 0 9 Finally, to sort a database by the first line of each 4-line field, try $ rs -eC 0 4 | sort | rs -c 0 1 SEE ALSO
jot(1), pr(1), sort(1), vi(1) BUGS
Handles only two dimensional arrays. The algorithm currently reads the whole file into memory, so files that do not fit in memory will not be reshaped. Fields cannot be defined yet on character positions. Re-ordering of columns is not yet possible. There are too many options. BSD
April 14, 2012 BSD