Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Fields in the Output of ls -ltr for a directory Post 303023208 by bakunin on Thursday 13th of September 2018 01:18:48 AM
Old 09-13-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalhell
By Size in Blocks - would this give an idea of how much size it occupies in GB ?
In principle: yes. Blocksize depends on the filesystem type, though. Originally in UNIX this was 512 bytes and this is still true for many FSes. XENIX filesystem had a blocksize of 2048 bytes and that too has been adopted by some others (although considerably less). Sometimes block sizes of 4096 bytes are used too and probably there are some others i just don't remember off the top of my head. Issue the mount command, most systems will show which type of FS they (think to) have mounted. Take it from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infernalhell
But i see the parent directory of this dir has a lower block size.. So i am a little confused.
There are several possible explanations for this: the parent directory could be on another FS or your system doesn't fully understand the networked FS it mounted (enough to handle the file access but can't grok the FS statistics).

I hope this helps.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting fields from an output 8-)

I am getting a variable as x=2006/01/18 now I have to extract each field from it. Like x1=2006, x2=01 and x3=18. Any idea how? Thanks a lot for help. Thanks CSaha (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get an output by combining fields from two different files

Hi guys, I couldn't find solution to this problem. If anyone knows please help me out. your guidance is highly appretiated. I have two files - FILE1 has the following 7 columns ( - has been added to make columns visible enough else columns are separated by single space) 155.34 - leg - 1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cut 2 fields and write to a output file

Hi, I am writing a code where the file is a pipe delimited and I would need to extract the 2nd part of field2 if it is "ATTN", "C/O" or "%" and check to see if field9 is populated or not. If field9 is already populated then leave it as is but if field9 is not populated then take the 2nd part of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: msalam65
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Compare files, different fields, output

Hi All, Looking for a quick AWK script to output some differences between two files. FILE1 device1 1.1.1.1 PINGS device1 2.2.2.2 PINGS FILE2 2862 SITE1 device1-prod 1.1.1.1 icmp - 0 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stacky69
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare diff output by fields

Diff output as follows: < AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE 123 > PPP QQQ RRR SSS TTT 111 > VVV WWW XXX YYY ZZZ 333 > AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE 124 How can i use awk to compare the last field to determine if the counter has increased, and need to ensure that the first 4 fields must have the same... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 CSV fields from same diff output

Attached is a file called diff.txt It is the output from this command: diff -y --suppress-common-lines --width=5000 1.txt 2.txt > diff.txt I have also attached 1.txt and 2.txt for your convenience. Both 1.txt and 2.txt contain one very long CSV string. File 1.txt is a CSV dump of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get output of fields starting from 2nd line

Hi All, I am using the following command in Linux: sar -r 30 3 Linux 2.6.18-194.3.1.7.3.el5xen 02/07/2013 02:55:47 PM kbmemfree kbmemused %memused kbbuffers kbcached kbswpfree kbswpused %swpused kbswpcad 02:56:17 PM 128646024 22348920 14.80 230232 15575860 75497464 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

What fields we need to consider ntpq -p output?

In our environment we used to lot of events for ntp issues. I am unable to find the what needs to consider here. :( ntpq -p fields. remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter ---------- Post updated at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:47 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Naveen.6025
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

I have two commands “ls -h” and “ls -ltr”. How do i make sure “ls -ltr” is run after “ls -h” is suc

help me (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonu pandey
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match output fields agains two patterns

I need to print field and the next one if field matches 'patternA' and also print 'patternB' fields. echo "some output" | awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i ~ /patternA/){print $i, $(i+1)}elif($i ~ /patternB/){print $i}}}' This code returnes me 'syntax error'. Pls advise how to do properly. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
xfs_growfs(8)                                                 System Manager's Manual                                                xfs_growfs(8)

NAME
xfs_growfs, xfs_info - expand an XFS filesystem SYNOPSIS
xfs_growfs [ -dilnrxV ] [ -D size ] [ -e rtextsize ] [ -L size ] [ -m maxpct ] [ -t mtab ] [ -R size ] mount-point xfs_info [ -t mtab ] mount-point DESCRIPTION
xfs_growfs expands an existing XFS filesystem (see xfs(5)). The mount-point argument is the pathname of the directory where the filesystem is mounted. The filesystem must be mounted to be grown (see mount(8)). The existing contents of the filesystem are undisturbed, and the added space becomes available for additional file storage. xfs_info is equivalent to invoking xfs_growfs with the -n option (see discussion below). OPTIONS
-d | -D size Specifies that the data section of the filesystem should be grown. If the -D size option is given, the data section is grown to that size, otherwise the data section is grown to the largest size possible with the -d option. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. -e Allows the real-time extent size to be specified. In mkfs.xfs(8) this is specified with -r extsize=nnnn. -i The new log is an internal log (inside the data section). [NOTE: This option is not implemented] -l | -L size Specifies that the log section of the filesystem should be grown, shrunk, or moved. If the -L size option is given, the log section is changed to be that size, if possible. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. The size of an internal log must be smaller than the size of an allocation group (this value is printed at mkfs(8) time). If neither -i nor -x is given with -l, the log contin- ues to be internal or external as it was before. [NOTE: These options are not implemented] -m Specify a new value for the maximum percentage of space in the filesystem that can be allocated as inodes. In mkfs.xfs(8) this is specified with -i maxpct=nn. -n Specifies that no change to the filesystem is to be made. The filesystem geometry is printed, and argument checking is performed, but no growth occurs. See output examples below. -r | -R size Specifies that the real-time section of the filesystem should be grown. If the -R size option is given, the real-time section is grown to that size, otherwise the real-time section is grown to the largest size possible with the -r option. The size is expressed in filesystem blocks. The filesystem does not need to have contained a real-time section before the xfs_growfs operation. -t Specifies an alternate mount table file (default is /proc/mounts if it exists, else /etc/mtab). This is used when working with filesystems mounted without writing to /etc/mtab file - refer to mount(8) for further details. -V Prints the version number and exits. The mount-point argument is not required with -V. xfs_growfs is most often used in conjunction with logical volumes (see md(4) and lvm(8) on Linux). However, it can also be used on a regu- lar disk partition, for example if a partition has been enlarged while retaining the same starting block. PRACTICAL USE
Filesystems normally occupy all of the space on the device where they reside. In order to grow a filesystem, it is necessary to provide added space for it to occupy. Therefore there must be at least one spare new disk partition available. Adding the space is often done through the use of a logical volume manager. EXAMPLES
Understanding xfs_info output. Suppose one has the following "xfs_info /dev/sda" output: meta-data=/dev/sda isize=256 agcount=32, agsize=16777184 blks = sectsz=512 attr=2 data = bsize=4096 blocks=536869888, imaxpct=5 = sunit=32 swidth=128 blks naming =version 2 bsize=4096 log =internal bsize=4096 blocks=32768, version=2 = sectsz=512 sunit=32 blks, lazy-count=1 realtime =none extsz=524288 blocks=0, rtextents=0 Here, the data section of the output indicates "bsize=4096", meaning the data block size for this filesystem is 4096 bytes. This section also shows "sunit=32 swidth=128 blks", which means the stripe unit is 32*4096 bytes = 128 kibibytes and the stripe width is 128*4096 bytes = 512 kibibytes. A single stripe of this filesystem therefore consists of four stripe units (128 blocks / 32 blocks per unit). SEE ALSO
mkfs.xfs(8), md(4), lvm(8), mount(8). xfs_growfs(8)