Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut command with dynamic passing of delimiter and position values Post 303022997 by Don Cragun on Monday 10th of September 2018 09:43:58 AM
Old 09-10-2018
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Thread title changed from "Cut command with dynamic passing of delimited and postition value" hoping to get a better chance of finding other threads with related topics.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic delimiter in cut command

hello.. my prob is as follows: i have to read from a file which may have different formats depending upon the delimiter used in the data of the file.now i need that the user input the delimiter.the input delimiter is stored in a variable and is used on cut command to retrieve necessary... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tej.buch
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

scripting: multiple values from file passing to command

one of my colleagues has this question. he has a command, C_CMD which accepts 4 variables, $1 $2 $3 $4 he wants to load up a file with multiple rows, one row per set of variables and then iteratively execute the command based on the content of the file. example: at the command line you'd... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LisaS
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How can I use double character delimiter in the cut command

Hi All, Can the cut command have double character delimiter? If yes, how can we use it. if my data file contains : apple || mango || grapes i used cut -f1 -d"||" filename but got an error. Plz help.... Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AshishK
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing a list of dynamic names to a "PS" command in shell script?

Hi, I am new to shell script. This is my first post .I have written a small script which returns list of names starts with "ram" in /etc/passwd .Here is that:- #!/bin/ksh NAME_LIST="name_list.txt" cat /dev/null > $NAME_LIST evalcmd="cat /etc/passwd | grep "^ram?*" | cut -d: -f1" eval... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sachin.tendulka
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable values to awk command

Hi, I have a situation where I have to specify a different value to an awk command, I beleive i have the gist of this done, however I am not able to get this correct. Here is what I have so far echo $id 065859555 This value occurs in a "pipe" delimited file in postition 8. Hence I would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jerardfjay
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

CUT command delimiter in reverse

Hi, I've a situation where, a=xxx.yyy.zzz.txt EXTN=`echo $a | cut -d . -f2` Using the above code it delimites and will return "yyy.zzz.txt" to EXTN. But i need to get only the extension "txt". so as per the above code it delimits in the first "." itself. Can anyone help how to do... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: skcvasanth
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

set output delimiter as tab in cut command

I can not make it work, it prints \t rather than introduce tabs. cut -d "," -f 4,8 Samples.csv --output-delimiter="\t" | sort > out Since I am running this command within a shell script, I tried manually inserting tab in this command, still does not work. I am using bash shell Suggestions... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: analyst
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to cut by delimiter, and delimiter can be anything except numbers?

Hi all, I have a number of strings like below: //mnt/autocor/43°13'(33")W/ and i'm trying to get the numbers in this string, for example 431333 please help thanks ahead (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnydanniel
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing an argument to cut command

Can we pass an argument to cut command as below Suppose cut command is used in for or while loop and we need to pass the incremental counter cut -f$i Here $i is an argument. Like wise it has to come cut -f1 cut -f2 Where i=1,2,3,.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bashamsc
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in using cut command with pipe as a delimiter while using in a script

There is a text file in my project named as "mom.txt" in which i want to have contents like.................. LSCRM(Application Name): 1: This is my first application. 2: Today we did shell scripting automation for this app. 3: It was really a good fun in doing so. 4: Really good.| (Here i... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhijeet Anand
7 Replies
strace(1M)																strace(1M)

NAME
strace - write STREAMS event trace messages to standard output SYNOPSIS
mod sub pri DESCRIPTION
gets STREAMS event trace messages from STREAMS drivers and modules via the STREAMS log driver and writes these messages to standard output. By default, without arguments writes all STREAMS trace messages from all drivers and modules. with command-line arguments limits the trace messages received. The arguments, which must be specified in groups of three, are: mod Specifies the STREAMS module identification number from the streamtab entry. sub Specifies a subidentification number (often corresponding to a minor device). pri Specifies a tracing priority level. gets messages of a level equal to or less than the value specified by pri. Only posi- tive integer values are allowed. The value can be used for any argument in the command line to indicate that there are no restrictions for that argument. Multiple sets of the three arguments can be specified to obtain the messages from more than one driver or module. Only one process can open the STREAMS log driver at a time. When is invoked, the log driver compares the sets of command line arguments with actual trace messages, returning only messages that sat- isfy the specified criteria. STREAMS event trace messages have the following format: seq time tick pri ind mod sub text Components are interpreted as follows: seq Trace event sequence number. time Time the message was sent expressed in hh:mm:ss. tick Time the message was sent expressed in machine ticks since the last boot. pri Tracing priority level as defined by the STREAMS driver or module that originates the messages. ind Can be any combination of the following three message indicators: The message has also been saved in the error log. The message signaled a fatal error. The message has also been mailed to the system administrator. mod Module identification number of the trace message source. sub Subidentification number of the trace message source. text Trace message text. runs until terminated by the user. EXAMPLES
Display all trace messages received from the driver or module identified by mod Display trace messages of any tracing priority level from the driver or module identified by mod and its minor devices identified by the sub or Display the trace messages from the same driver or module and subs but limit the priority levels to 0 for subs 2 and 3; 1 for sub 4, driver or module WARNINGS
Running with several sets of arguments can impair STREAMS performance, particularly for those modules and drivers that are sending the mes- sages. Also be aware that may not be able to handle a large number of messages. If drivers and modules return messages to too quickly, some may be lost. FILES
NLS catalog for SEE ALSO
strclean(1M), strerr(1M), strlog(7). strace(1M)