Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Segmentation fault while trying to recover file with extundelete Post 303022954 by Aia on Sunday 9th of September 2018 10:06:33 PM
Old 09-09-2018
A segmentation fault core dump is not due to user unfamiliarity. It is a program misbehavior outside the user control. In this case it appears that the extundelete utility has fallen out of maintenance and that it requires a version of e2fsprogs that is too old for up to day system.
Have you given a try to testdisk or Photorec?
This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

Hi, While comparing primary key data of two tables thr bteq script I am getting this Error. This script is a shell script. *** Error: The following error was encountered on the output file. Script.sh: 3043492 Segmentation fault(coredump) Please let me know how to get through it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
5 Replies

2. Programming

segmentation fault

Hi, I am having this segmentation fault not in the following program, bt. in my lab program . My lab program is horrible long so cannot post it here bt. I am using the following logic in my program which is giving the segmentation fault. Bt. if I run this sample program as it is it dosen't give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
3 Replies

3. Programming

segmentation fault

What is segmentation fault(core dumped) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokult
1 Replies

4. Programming

segmentation fault.

This code is causing a segmentation fault and I can't figure out why. I'm new to UNIX and I need to learn how to avoid this segmentation fault thing. Thank you so much. Thanks also for the great answers to my last post.:):b: int main() { mysqlpp::Connection conn(false); if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sepoto
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation fault

#include<stdio.h> #include<malloc.h> #include<unistd.h> #include<stdlib.h> void *start_1(void *argv) { printf("thread 0x%x\n",(unsigned int)pthread_self()); pthread_exit((void*)1); } void *start_2(void *argv) { printf("thread 0x%x\n",(unsigned int)pthread_self()); return (void*)2; }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vincent__tse
2 Replies

6. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

7. Solaris

Segmentation fault

Hi Guys, I just installed and booted a zone called testzone. When I logged in remotely and tried changing to root user I get this error: "Segmentation fault" Can someone please help me resolve this? Thanks alot (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cjashu
2 Replies

8. Programming

Segmentation fault

I keep getting this fault on a lot of the codes I write, I'm not exactly sure why so I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the idea to me. For example this code #include <stdio.h> main() { unsigned long a=0; unsigned long b=0; int z; { printf("Enter two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sizzler786
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count Segmentation fault and write to the file

Hi everyone Need to get version of npm application that have several output like this: root: nmp -version 10 root: nmp -version 10 root: nmp-new -version 3.1 root: nmp-old -version Segmentation fault count them , after that write to the file like this: 10 2 3.1 1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: indeed_1
1 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
savecore(8)						      System Manager's Manual						       savecore(8)

Name
       savecore - save a core dump of the operating system

Syntax
       /etc/savecore [ options ] dirname [ system ] [ corename ]

Description
       The  command  is  meant	to  be called near the end of the file.  The command saves the core dump of the system (assuming one was made) and
       writes a reboot message in the shutdown log.

The command checks the core dump to be certain it corresponds with the current running ULTRIX.  If it does, it saves the core image in  the
       file  dirname/vmcore.n and saves the namelist in the file dirname/vmunix.n.  The trailing .n in the pathnames is replaced by a number which
       increments each time is run in that directory.

After saving the core and namelist images, will save the error logger buffer into a predetermined file.	The error logger  buffer  contains
       information about why the crash occurred.  After completes, the daemon will extract the error logger file and translate its contents into a
       form familiar to the program.

Before writes out a core image, it reads a number from the file dirname/minfree.  If there are fewer free blocks  on  the  filesystem  that
       contains  dirname  than the number obtained from the file, a core dump is not done.  If the file does not exist, savecore always writes out
       the core file (assuming that a core dump was taken).

The command also writes a reboot message in the shut down log.  If the system crashed as a result of a panic, also records the panic string
       in the shut down log.

For  partial  crash  dumps,  creates  a	sparse	core image file in dirname/vmcore.n.  If this sparse core image file is copied or moved to
       another location, the file expands to its true size which can take too much file system space.  Hence, to copy or move  sparse  core  image
       files, you must use the command. The command has a conversion option to create sparse output files.

Options
       -c   Clears  the core dump.  This option is useful when the core dump is corrupted in a way that will not allow to save it safely.  Use the
	    option with caution, because once it clears the core dump, the core dump cannot be retrieved.

-d dumpdev dumplo
	    Specifies the dump device and the dump offset when running on a system image other than the currently running system image.  The  pro-
	    gram  assumes  that  the running system image is and it reads the dump device and dump device offset are different in the system image
	    that crashed, the option provides the correct dump device and dump device offset.

-e   Saves only the error logger buffer into a file.  If used, core or namelist images are not saved.

-f corename
	    Takes the i corefile name as the file from which to extract the the crash dump data instead of the default dump device.   This  option
	    is used only for diskless workstations.

If  the	core  dump was from a system other than /vmunix, the name of that system must be supplied as system.  The program assumes that the
       running image is

After successful completion, the core dump is cleared.  Also, a message is written in the file which tells whether the  dump  succeeded	or
       failed.

Files
       Shut down log

Current running ULTRIX system

See Also
       dd(1), uerf(8)

savecore(8)