Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Cut Over to New Data Center and Upgraded OS Done. :) Post 303022894 by Aia on Sunday 9th of September 2018 02:15:39 AM
Old 09-09-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
That's all great, and well written, but it has little to do with UNIX.COM moving our legacy server over to a new data center and upgrading.

If I moved it to the cloud, I would consider that a downgrade, not an upgrade, LOL

We have been on the cloud before... it's not an upgrade for UNIX.COM and our server.

Moving UNIX.COM to "the cloud" would be a downgrade, at least based on my experience.

And in closing moving to the cloud would not provide UNIX.COM:

This I know as a fact from years of experience.
Cheers.
I am sorry if I ever gave you the impression that I was somewhat inferring that you or UNIX.COM should be in the Cloud. My post was prompted as a personal opinion following in the same spirit of bakunin's post #9. It was not even a response to his comments but rather a conversational comment based on my experience.

You validate my commentaries. If you do not CI/CD you do not need the Cloud, otherwise your experience might not be what you expected. And this is common with a lot of customers.

Originally, I asked you about the Cloud and unix.com based on the hero effort you have to do to move to another datacenter. You responded why not and that was it for me concerning the matter and I gave you thanks for responding me, I did not engage you any more about that response.
This User Gave Thanks to Aia For This Post:

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Cloud Enabling Computing for the Next Generation Data Center

Hear how the changing needs of massive scale-out computing is driving a transfomation in technology and learn how HP is supporting this new evolution of the web. More... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Linux Bot
1 Replies

2. HP-UX

Need to set up a HP cluster system in a data center

What are the server requirements, Software requirements, Network requirements etc, Please help me.. as 'm new 'm unable to get things done @ my end alone. Please refrain from typing subjects completely in upper case letters to get more attention, ty. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sounddappan
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Failure rate of a node / Data center

Hi, Please, i have a history of the state of each node in my data center. an history about the failure of my cluster (UN: node up, DN: node down). Here is some lines of the history: 08:51:36 UN 127.0.0.1 08:51:36 UN 127.0.0.2 08:51:36 UN 127.0.0.3 08:53:50 DN 127.0.0.1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
6 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Resolved: Issue in Server Data Center

Dear All, There was a problem in the data center data, which caused the server to be unreachable for about an hour. Server logs show the server did not crash or go down. Hence, I assume there was a networking issue at the data center. Still waiting for final word on what happened. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

OUTAGE: Data Center Problem Resolved.

There was a problem with our data center today, creating a site outage (server unreachable). That problem has been resolved. Basically, it seems to have been a socially engineered denial-of-service attack against UNIX.com; which I stopped as soon as I found out what the problem was. Total... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
2 Replies
GETPEEREID(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					     GETPEEREID(3)

NAME
getpeereid -- get the effective credentials of a UNIX-domain peer LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <unistd.h> int getpeereid(int s, uid_t *euid, gid_t *egid); DESCRIPTION
The getpeereid() function returns the effective user and group IDs of the peer connected to a UNIX-domain socket. The argument s must be a UNIX-domain socket (unix(4)) of type SOCK_STREAM on which either connect(2) or listen(2) have been called. The effective used ID is placed in euid, and the effective group ID in egid. The credentials returned to the listen(2) caller are those of its peer at the time it called connect(2); the credentials returned to the connect(2) caller are those of its peer at the time it called listen(2). This mechanism is reliable; there is no way for either side to influence the credentials returned to its peer except by calling the appropriate system call (i.e., either connect(2) or listen(2)) under different effective credentials. One common use of this routine is for a UNIX-domain server to verify the credentials of its client. Likewise, the client can verify the cre- dentials of the server. IMPLEMENTATION NOTES
On FreeBSD, getpeereid() is implemented in terms of the LOCAL_PEERCRED unix(4) socket option. RETURN VALUES
The getpeereid() function returns the value 0 if successful; otherwise the value -1 is returned and the global variable errno is set to indi- cate the error. ERRORS
The getpeereid() function fails if: [EBADF] The argument s is not a valid descriptor. [ENOTSOCK] The argument s is a file, not a socket. [ENOTCONN] The argument s does not refer to a socket on which connect(2) or listen(2) have been called. [EINVAL] The argument s does not refer to a socket of type SOCK_STREAM, or the kernel returned invalid data. SEE ALSO
connect(2), getpeername(2), getsockname(2), getsockopt(2), listen(2), unix(4) HISTORY
The getpeereid() function appeared in FreeBSD 4.6. BSD
July 15, 2001 BSD