Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A better way to manipulate text Post 303022791 by da1 on Friday 7th of September 2018 07:16:23 AM
Old 09-07-2018
Code:
#!/bin/bash

AMI_TAGS="env=prod,city=xxx,country=XXX"

AMI_TAGS="${AMI_TAGS//,/ Key#}"
AMI_TAGS="Key=${AMI_TAGS//=/,Value=}"
aws ec2 create-tags --resources ami-1234 --tags "${AMI_TAGS//#/=}"

Executing with "bash -x" gets:
Code:
+ AMI_TAGS=env=xxx,city=xxx,country=XXX
+ AMI_TAGS='env=xxx Key#city=xxx Key#country=XXX'
+ AMI_TAGS='Key=env,Value=xxx Key#city,Value=xxx Key#country,Value=XXX'
+ aws ec2 create-tags --resources ami-1234 --tags 'Key=env,Value=prod Key=city,Value=xxx Key=country,Value=XXX'

Notice the single quotes after the "--tags" keywork. Weirdly enough, amazon doesn't accept this format and the tags are not being set.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to manipulate date?

Hi can u pls help me out with this as i am relatively new to unix. I need to use 4 different types of dates in my shell script * first day of the last(previous) month * last day of the last(previous) month * first day of the current month * (sysdate-1) yesterday's date for the current... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate files

Hi everybody: I have a problem. I have a output files which have this pattern: number1 --space block1a - 7rows/10columns/65elements --space block1b - 7rows/10columns/65elements --space block1c - 7rows/10columns/65elements --space number2 --space block2a - 7rows/10columns/65elements... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to manipulate text in files

Hi, I have a slight problem in trying to manipulate the text within a file using the "sed" command in that the text i need changed has "/" slashes in. I have a .sh script that scans the "/db/sybbackup/" directories for any .dmp file older than 2 days and then to >> the information to a file called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jefferson333
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to manipulate logfile text

Hi guys, I was wandering if a Shell guru could give me some advice on tackling a problem. I have used a mixture of grep, cut and awk to get data from a log file in the following format: 14/11/08 10:39: Checking currenly : Enabled 14/11/08 10:39: Records allocated : 221... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosspaddock
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

manipulate text for openldap import/export question.

Hey guys.. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this - but here goes. I need to manipulate an openldap export to match a different schema so that I can import into that system. Basically - its just text manipulation. I have gotten alot of it done just by using simple sed, but I am sorta... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2ambler
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on how to manipulate a SIMPLE text file (using awk?)

I have a simple txt files that looks something like this (The title is a part of the text file) Student Grades --------------- 1 Tim Purser 89 2 John Wayne 56 3 Jenn Hawkins 95 4 Harry Potter 75 Here are my questions: How would I ONLY print the names of students... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjagod123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate the text file in UNIX

Hi All, I have a file like below and i have 2 questions on this (They are 3 lines starts with 01 , 02 and 03. but is 01abc333644554 234 2334535 34534535355353 sfsdf345455 353 4543 jgkg tty 7676 02cdesdfsdfsdf 234 wesdfsdf 345345 234234 234234 2342342 dfgdfg sdfgg dgdgdg fgvfs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva.pitchai
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I remove partial duplicates and manipulate text?

Hello, How can I remove partial duplicates and manipulate text in bash using either awk, grep or sed? Thanks. Input: ted,"foo,bar,zoo" john-son,"foot,ben,zoo" bob,"bar,foot" Expected Output: foo,ted bar,ted zoo,ted foot,john-son ben,john-son (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to manipulate a text file and store each version for every changes in a directory?

I attached both picturehttps://1drv.ms/t/s!Aoomvi55MLAQh1jODfUxa-xurns_ and *.txt file of a sample work file. In this file Reactions which only start with "r1f", "r2f", "r3f"......and so on. And for each reaction the reaction rates is situated couple of lines later with a "+" sign. For each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Manipulate condition to send mail based on output text in file

Hi All, I have a working script as below. echo "Files loaded with $(cat /var/tmp/script.X1.out)" | mail -s "Files loaded with return code" mailid This script takes the output from script.X1.out file and appends the text "Files loaded with return code" and sends the email. Now what I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun3108
5 Replies
MORE(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           MORE(1)

NAME
more - file perusal filter for crt viewing SYNOPSIS
more [options] file... DESCRIPTION
more is a filter for paging through text one screenful at a time. This version is especially primitive. Users should realize that less(1) provides more(1) emulation plus extensive enhancements. OPTIONS
Options are also taken from the environment variable MORE (make sure to precede them with a dash (-)) but command-line options will over- ride those. -d Prompt with "[Press space to continue, 'q' to quit.]", and display "[Press 'h' for instructions.]" instead of ringing the bell when an illegal key is pressed. -l Do not pause after any line containing a ^L (form feed). -f Count logical lines, rather than screen lines (i.e., long lines are not folded). -p Do not scroll. Instead, clear the whole screen and then display the text. Notice that this option is switched on automatically if the executable is named page. -c Do not scroll. Instead, paint each screen from the top, clearing the remainder of each line as it is displayed. -s Squeeze multiple blank lines into one. -u Suppress underlining. -number The screen size to use, in number of lines. +number Start displaying each file at line number. +/string The string to be searched in each file before starting to display it. --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. COMMANDS
Interactive commands for more are based on vi(1). Some commands may be preceded by a decimal number, called k in the descriptions below. In the following descriptions, ^X means control-X. h or ? Help; display a summary of these commands. If you forget all other commands, remember this one. SPACE Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. z Display next k lines of text. Defaults to current screen size. Argument becomes new default. RETURN Display next k lines of text. Defaults to 1. Argument becomes new default. d or ^D Scroll k lines. Default is current scroll size, initially 11. Argument becomes new default. q or Q or INTERRUPT Exit. s Skip forward k lines of text. Defaults to 1. f Skip forward k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. b or ^B Skip backwards k screenfuls of text. Defaults to 1. Only works with files, not pipes. ' Go to the place where the last search started. = Display current line number. /pattern Search for kth occurrence of regular expression. Defaults to 1. n Search for kth occurrence of last regular expression. Defaults to 1. !command or :!command Execute command in a subshell. v Start up an editor at current line. The editor is taken from the environment variable VISUAL if defined, or EDITOR if VISUAL is not defined, or defaults to vi if neither VISUAL nor EDITOR is defined. ^L Redraw screen. :n Go to kth next file. Defaults to 1. :p Go to kth previous file. Defaults to 1. :f Display current file name and line number. . Repeat previous command. ENVIRONMENT
The more command respects the following environment variables, if they exist: MORE This variable may be set with favored options to more. SHELL Current shell in use (normally set by the shell at login time). TERM The terminal type used by more to get the terminal characteristics necessary to manipulate the screen. VISUAL The editor the user prefers. Invoked when command key v is pressed. EDITOR The editor of choice when VISUAL is not specified. SEE ALSO
less(1), vi(1) AUTHORS
Eric Shienbrood, UC Berkeley Modified by Geoff Peck, UCB to add underlining, single spacing Modified by John Foderaro, UCB to add -c and MORE environment variable HISTORY
The more command appeared in 3.0BSD. This man page documents more version 5.19 (Berkeley 6/29/88), which is currently in use in the Linux community. Documentation was produced using several other versions of the man page, and extensive inspection of the source code. AVAILABILITY
The more command is part of the util-linux package and is available from Linux Kernel Archive <https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util- linux/>. util-linux February 2014 MORE(1)