Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A better way to manipulate text Post 303022786 by RudiC on Friday 7th of September 2018 05:03:49 AM
Old 09-07-2018
By just adding the Key= string in front:
Code:
AMI_TAGS="Key=${AMI_TAGS//=/,Value=}"

You could do so in sed by adding the substitution s/^/Key=/. But: using sed in a "command substitution" requires an expensive process creation, while variable expansion is done within the shell only.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to manipulate date?

Hi can u pls help me out with this as i am relatively new to unix. I need to use 4 different types of dates in my shell script * first day of the last(previous) month * last day of the last(previous) month * first day of the current month * (sysdate-1) yesterday's date for the current... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate files

Hi everybody: I have a problem. I have a output files which have this pattern: number1 --space block1a - 7rows/10columns/65elements --space block1b - 7rows/10columns/65elements --space block1c - 7rows/10columns/65elements --space number2 --space block2a - 7rows/10columns/65elements... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonet
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using sed to manipulate text in files

Hi, I have a slight problem in trying to manipulate the text within a file using the "sed" command in that the text i need changed has "/" slashes in. I have a .sh script that scans the "/db/sybbackup/" directories for any .dmp file older than 2 days and then to >> the information to a file called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jefferson333
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to manipulate logfile text

Hi guys, I was wandering if a Shell guru could give me some advice on tackling a problem. I have used a mixture of grep, cut and awk to get data from a log file in the following format: 14/11/08 10:39: Checking currenly : Enabled 14/11/08 10:39: Records allocated : 221... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosspaddock
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

manipulate text for openldap import/export question.

Hey guys.. I am not sure if this is the right place to post this - but here goes. I need to manipulate an openldap export to match a different schema so that I can import into that system. Basically - its just text manipulation. I have gotten alot of it done just by using simple sed, but I am sorta... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: i2ambler
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question on how to manipulate a SIMPLE text file (using awk?)

I have a simple txt files that looks something like this (The title is a part of the text file) Student Grades --------------- 1 Tim Purser 89 2 John Wayne 56 3 Jenn Hawkins 95 4 Harry Potter 75 Here are my questions: How would I ONLY print the names of students... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninjagod123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulate the text file in UNIX

Hi All, I have a file like below and i have 2 questions on this (They are 3 lines starts with 01 , 02 and 03. but is 01abc333644554 234 2334535 34534535355353 sfsdf345455 353 4543 jgkg tty 7676 02cdesdfsdfsdf 234 wesdfsdf 345345 234234 234234 2342342 dfgdfg sdfgg dgdgdg fgvfs... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva.pitchai
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I remove partial duplicates and manipulate text?

Hello, How can I remove partial duplicates and manipulate text in bash using either awk, grep or sed? Thanks. Input: ted,"foo,bar,zoo" john-son,"foot,ben,zoo" bob,"bar,foot" Expected Output: foo,ted bar,ted zoo,ted foot,john-son ben,john-son (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tara123
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to manipulate a text file and store each version for every changes in a directory?

I attached both picturehttps://1drv.ms/t/s!Aoomvi55MLAQh1jODfUxa-xurns_ and *.txt file of a sample work file. In this file Reactions which only start with "r1f", "r2f", "r3f"......and so on. And for each reaction the reaction rates is situated couple of lines later with a "+" sign. For each... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Atta
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Manipulate condition to send mail based on output text in file

Hi All, I have a working script as below. echo "Files loaded with $(cat /var/tmp/script.X1.out)" | mail -s "Files loaded with return code" mailid This script takes the output from script.X1.out file and appends the text "Files loaded with return code" and sends the email. Now what I want... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: midhun3108
5 Replies
dbus-launch(1)						      General Commands Manual						    dbus-launch(1)

NAME
dbus-launch - Utility to start a message bus from a shell script SYNOPSIS
dbus-launch [--version] [--sh-syntax] [--csh-syntax] [--auto-syntax] [--exit-with-session] [--autolaunch=MACHINEID] [--config-file=FILE- NAME] [PROGRAM] [ARGS...] DESCRIPTION
The dbus-launch command is used to start a session bus instance of dbus-daemon from a shell script. It would normally be called from a user's login scripts. Unlike the daemon itself, dbus-launch exits, so backticks or the $() construct can be used to read information from dbus-launch. With no arguments, dbus-launch will launch a session bus instance and print the address and pid of that instance to standard output. You may specify a program to be run; in this case, dbus-launch will launch a session bus instance, set the appropriate environment vari- ables so the specified program can find the bus, and then execute the specified program, with the specified arguments. See below for exam- ples. If you launch a program, dbus-launch will not print the information about the new bus to standard output. When dbus-launch prints bus information to standard output, by default it is in a simple key-value pairs format. However, you may request several alternate syntaxes using the --sh-syntax, --csh-syntax, --binary-syntax, or --auto-syntax options. Several of these cause dbus- launch to emit shell code to set up the environment. With the --auto-syntax option, dbus-launch looks at the value of the SHELL environment variable to determine which shell syntax should be used. If SHELL ends in "csh", then csh-compatible code is emitted; otherwise Bourne shell code is emitted. Instead of passing --auto-syn- tax, you may explicity specify a particular one by using --sh-syntax for Bourne syntax, or --csh-syntax for csh syntax. In scripts, it's more robust to avoid --auto-syntax and you hopefully know which shell your script is written in. See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ for more information about D-Bus. See also the man page for dbus-daemon. Here is an example of how to use dbus-launch with an sh-compatible shell to start the per-session bus daemon: ## test for an existing bus daemon, just to be safe if test -z "$DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" ; then ## if not found, launch a new one eval `dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session` echo "D-Bus per-session daemon address is: $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" fi You might run something like that in your login scripts. Another way to use dbus-launch is to run your main session program, like so: dbus-launch gnome-session The above would likely be appropriate for ~/.xsession or ~/.Xclients. AUTOMATIC LAUNCHING
If DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not set for a process that tries to use D-Bus, by default the process will attempt to invoke dbus-launch with the --autolaunch option to start up a new session bus or find the existing bus address on the X display or in a file in ~/.dbus/ses- sion-bus/ Whenever an autolaunch occurs, the application that had to start a new bus will be in its own little world; it can effectively end up starting a whole new session if it tries to use a lot of bus services. This can be suboptimal or even totally broken, depending on the app and what it tries to do. There are two common reasons for autolaunch. One is ssh to a remote machine. The ideal fix for that would be forwarding of DBUS_SES- SION_BUS_ADDRESS in the same way that DISPLAY is forwarded. In the meantime, you can edit the session.conf config file to have your ses- sion bus listen on TCP, and manually set DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS, if you like. The second common reason for autolaunch is an su to another user, and display of X applications running as the second user on the display belonging to the first user. Perhaps the ideal fix in this case would be to allow the second user to connect to the session bus of the first user, just as they can connect to the first user's display. However, a mechanism for that has not been coded. You can always avoid autolaunch by manually setting DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS. Autolaunch happens because the default address if none is set is "autolaunch:", so if any other address is set there will be no autolaunch. You can however include autolaunch in an explicit session bus address as a fallback, for example DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS="something:,autolaunch:" - in that case if the first address doesn't work, pro- cesses will autolaunch. (The bus address variable contains a comma-separated list of addresses to try.) The --autolaunch option is considered an internal implementation detail of libdbus, and in fact there are plans to change it. There's no real reason to use it outside of the libdbus implementation anyhow. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: --auto-syntax Choose --csh-syntax or --sh-syntax based on the SHELL environment variable. --binary-syntax Write to stdout a nul-terminated bus address, then the bus PID as a binary integer of size sizeof(pid_t), then the bus X window ID as a binary integer of size sizeof(long). Integers are in the machine's byte order, not network byte order or any other canonical byte order. --close-stderr Close the standard error output stream before starting the D-Bus daemon. This is useful if you want to capture dbus-launch error messages but you don't want dbus-daemon to keep the stream open to your application. --config-file=FILENAME Pass --config-file=FILENAME to the bus daemon, instead of passing it the --session argument. See the man page for dbus-daemon --csh-syntax Emit csh compatible code to set up environment variables. --exit-with-session If this option is provided, a persistent "babysitter" process will be created that watches stdin for HUP and tries to connect to the X server. If this process gets a HUP on stdin or loses its X connection, it kills the message bus daemon. --autolaunch=MACHINEID This option implies that dbus-launch should scan for a previously-started session and reuse the values found there. If no session is found, it will start a new session. The --exit-with-session option is implied if --autolaunch is given. This option is for the exclusive use of libdbus, you do not want to use it manually. It may change in the future. --sh-syntax Emit Bourne-shell compatible code to set up environment variables. --version Print the version of dbus-launch AUTHOR
See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/doc/AUTHORS BUGS
Please send bug reports to the D-Bus mailing list or bug tracker, see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ dbus-launch(1)