Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Getting unique sequences from multiple fasta file Post 303022717 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 5th of September 2018 04:25:20 PM
Old 09-05-2018
Code:
awk '{ a[$0]} END{for (i in a) print i ORS}' RS= my_file.fasta

or better yet:
Code:
awk '!a[$0]++' RS= ORS='\n\n' my_file.fasta

Last edited by vgersh99; 09-06-2018 at 10:57 AM..
These 2 Users Gave Thanks to vgersh99 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to grep -v multiple changing sequences from a file

Hello All - I am looking for help on how to solve a re-occuring problem. I have a file with certain sequences in it that need to be removed. The sequences are always different but the fix is always the same remove those sequences and leave the rest. Another team ID's the bad sequences and then I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyluv030
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Breaking a fasta formatted file into multiple files containing each gene separately

Hey, I've been trying to break a massive fasta formatted file into files containing each gene separately. Could anyone help me? I've tried to use the following code but i've recieved errors every time: for i in *.rtf.out do awk '/^>/{f=++d".fasta"} {print > $i.out}' $i done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ann Mc Cartney
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for changing the accession number of DNA sequences in a FASTA file

Hi, I am having a file of dna sequences in fasta format which look like this: >admin_1_45 atatagcaga >admin_1_46 atatagcagaatatatat with many such thousands of sequences in a single file. I want to the replace the accession Id "admin_1_45" similarly in following sequences to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: margarita
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sequences from a FASTA file based on another file

I have two files. File1 is shown below. >153L:B|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE RTDCYGNVNRIDTTGASCKTAKPEGLSYCGVSASKKIAERDLQAMDRYKTIIKKVGEKLCVEPAVIAGIISRESHAGKVL KNGWGDRGNGFGLMQVDKRSHKPQGTWNGEVHITQGTTILINFIKTIQKKFPSWTKDQQLKGGISAYNAGAGNVRSYARM DIGTTHDDYANDVVARAQYYKQHGY >16VP:A|PDBID|CHAIN|SEQUENCE... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nelsonfrans
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count and search by sequence in multiple fasta file

Hello, I have 10 fasta files with sequenced reads information with read sizes from 15 - 35 . I have combined the reads and collapsed in to unique reads and filtered for sizes 18 - 26 bp long unique reads. Now i wanted to count each unique read appearance in all the fasta files and make a table... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|O15090|FABP4_HUMAN Fatty acid-binding protein, adipocyte OS=Homo sapiens GN=FABP4 PE=1 SV=3 MCDAFVGTWKLVSSENFDDYMKEVGVGFATRKVAGMAKPNMIISVNGDVITIKSESTFKN TEISFILGQEFDEVTADDRKVKSTITLDGGVLVHVQKWDGKSTTIKRKREDDKLVVECVM KGVTSTRVYERA >sp|L18484|AP2A2_RAT AP-2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexypaul
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Select distinct sequences from fasta file and list

Hi How can I extract sequences from a fasta file with respect a certain criteria? The beginning of my file (containing in total more than 1000 sequences) looks like this: >H8V34IS02I59VP SDACNDLTIALLQIAREVRVCNPTFSFRWHPQVKDEVMRECFDCIRQGLG YPSMRNDPILIANCMNWHGHPLEEARQWVHQACMSPCPSTKHGFQPFRMA... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marion MPI
6 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to count the length of fasta sequences?

I could calculate the length of entire fasta sequences by following command, awk '/^>/{if (l!="") print l; print; l=0; next}{l+=length($0)}END{print l}' unique.fasta But, I need to calculate the length of a particular fasta sequence specified/listed in another txt file. The results to to be... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shorten header of protein sequences in fasta file to only organism name

I have a fasta file as follows >sp|Q8WWQ8|STAB2_HUMAN Stabilin-2 OS=Homo sapiens OX=9606 GN=STAB2 PE=1 SV=3 MMLQHLVIFCLGLVVQNFCSPAETTGQARRCDRKSLLTIRTECRSCALNLGVKCPDGYTM ITSGSVGVRDCRYTFEVRTYSLSLPGCRHICRKDYLQPRCCPGRWGPDCIECPGGAGSPC NGRGSCAEGMEGNGTCSCQEGFGGTACETCADDNLFGPSCSSVCNCVHGVCNSGLDGDGT... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jerrild
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to add specific bases at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences?

Hi, I have to add 7 bases of specific nucleotide at the beginning and ending of all the fasta sequences of a file. For example, I have a multi fasta file namely test.fasta as given below test.fasta >TalAA18_Xoo_CIAT_NZ_CP033194.1:_2936369-2939570:+1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
1 Replies
PRODA(1)																  PRODA(1)

NAME
proda - multiple alignment of protein sequences with repeats and rearrangements SYNOPSIS
proda [option] [mfafile] [> output] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the proda command. proda (Protein Domain Aligner) is public domain software for generating multiple alignments of protein sequences with repeats and rearrangements, e.g. proteins with multiple domains. Given a set of protein sequences as input, ProDA first finds local pairwise alignments between all pairs of sequences, then forms blocks of alignable sequence fragments, and finally generates multiple alignments of the blocks. ProDA relies on many techniques used in probcons (<http://probcons.stanford.edu>), a recent multiple aligner that shows high accuracy in a number of popular benchmarks. INPUT FORMAT
Proda accepts input files in the MFA format. The MFA format is specified below: o the MFA format consists of multiple sequences; o each sequence in the MFA format begins with a single-line description, followed by lines of sequence data; o the description line is distinguished from the sequence data by a greater-than (">") symbol in the first column. OUTPUT FORMAT
For a set of input sequences, Proda usually outputs several blocks in turn, each consists of alignable sequence fragments. Each block is followed by its multiple alignment. A block is specified by listing its sequence fragments. Each fragment is output as sequence_name(start-end), where sequence_name is the name of the original sequence and start and end are positions at which the fragment begins and ends respectively. Proda produces block alignments in the ClustalW (ALN) format described below: o the ClustalW format consists of a single header line followed by sequence data in blocks of 50 alignment positions; o each block consists of: o one line of data for each of the sequences in the alignment - in particular, the name of the sequence; o 50 characters of the alignment; o one annotation line indicating fully conserved (*), strongly-conserved (:), or weakly-conserved columns (.); o the description line is distinguished from the sequence data by a greater-than (">") symbol in the first column. FASTA format for output If the -fasta option is specified, then, in addition to regular output, ProDA produces a file containing block alignments in the FASTA format. The output file has the same name as the first input file and extension ".fasta". Two consecutive block alignments are separated by a line containing character '#'. The FASTA format is described below: o the FASTA format consists of all the sequences given in the input files; o each sequence in the FASTA format begins with a single-line description, followed by lines of sequence data; o the description line is distinguished from the sequence data by a greater-than (">") symbol in the first column; o aligned residues are in upper case, unaligned residues are in lower case. Since a final alignment contains each sequence only once, this option should be used only if input sequences do not contain repeats. OPTIONS
-L [min_length] Set minimal alignment length equal to [min_length]. ProDA finds alignments of length greater than or equal to a threshold L. By default, L = 30. This option sets the threshold to [min_length]. -posterior Use posterior decoding when computing local pairwise alignments. ProDA computes local pairwise alignments between two sequences using a pair-HMM and either Viterbi decoding or posterior decoding. The default option is using Viterbi decoding which is faster than posterior decoding but may be less accurate. Turning on this option instructs the aligner to use posterior decoding instead. In the example above, the output was generated with -posterior option turned on. -silent Do not report progress while aligning. Turning on this option instructs the aligner not to report the progress while aligning. By default, ProDA reports the progress on all pairwise alignments, block generation, and on block alignment. Since some stages of the algorithm, especially pairwise alignment, may take long time, reporting progress makes the program look alive while running. -tran Use transitivity when forming blocks of alignable sequence fragments. Two sequence fragments are directly alignable if they are parts of a local pairwise alignment. By default, two fragments are considered alignable if and only if they are directly alignable. Turning on this option instructs the aligner to consider two fragments alignable when they are directly alignable or when both of them are directly alignable to a third fragment. -fasta Use FASTA output format in addition to the ClustalW format. When this option is turned on, the aligner generates output in the FASTA format and stores in a file with the same name as the first input file and extension ".fasta", in addition to the normal output to stdout. This option should be used only if input sequences do not contain repeats. SEE ALSO
probcons(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by David Paleino <d.paleino@gmail.com> for the Debian(TM) system (but may be used by others). This man page is released under the same conditions as the software, that is Public Domain. This software has been released in Public Domain by Phuong T.M., Do C.B., Edgar R.C. and Batzoglou S. in "Multiple alignment of protein sequences with repeats and rearrangements", Nucleic Acids Research 2006 - 34(20), 5932-5942 COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2007 David Paleino april 25, 2007 PRODA(1)