Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX NAGIOS Service not able to open port on AIX 7.1 Post 303022626 by wibhore on Tuesday 4th of September 2018 12:22:33 PM
Old 09-04-2018
NAGIOS Service not able to open port on AIX 7.1

I have an AIX 7.1 LPAR where Nagios agent was installed for monitoring. The issue is that when I start the nagios service (ncpa_listener), it starts but does not open the 5693 port it requires for communication. On all other LPARs the service opens the port and is listening. I tried reinstalling the agent. Sometimes, when I try to stop the service it goes into a stopping state and has to be killed forcefully. The oslevel is 7100-05-01-1731. The LPAR has about 120GB of memory and 6 CPUs as entitled capacity. This is an Oracle DB DR server. Please let me know if more details are required.

I tried to see if there is anything using the port using netstat -an | grep 5693. I also checked the services file to see if any service is already using this port, but there was nothing in both cases.

------ Post updated at 12:22 PM ------

I just wanted to add one more thing. If I do a "telnet localhost 5693", I don't get a telnet prompt. But on all other LPARs, the telnet connects and gives a prompt. I can't seem to think of a reason why the service should not be able to open an unused port.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to open a port in AIX

Hi Guys, i am trying to open a port in AIX. but i am not able to get the command for this. AIX is not having the iptables file present. So please any body can tell me how to open a port in AIX... Thanks sanju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanju_d1231
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

Unknown open port: "6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker" found with nmap

Hi. I ran nmap on my server, and I get the following: Starting Nmap 4.76 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2009-03-19 16:33 EDT Interesting ports on -------- (-----): Not shown: 997 closed ports PORT STATE SERVICE 22/tcp open ssh 80/tcp open http 6881/tcp open bittorrent-tracker The... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rledley
0 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

Using SMF to register & start a (Nagios) service

I'm trying to register & start a service using SMF on Solaris 10. It's nsca, part of the Nagios monitoring system. I've got nsca running fine as a detached process, and can manually create passive checks via send_nsca. But when I try to run nsca as a daemon, I need some advice. The nsca... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lyle
0 Replies

4. Web Development

Need to run Nagios Web Interface on a different port

Hi, During Nagios install we added the following piece of config to apache httpd.conf file and it runs on the regular port 80, now if I want to run this on a different port then what needs to changed to make it run on lets say port 8080. I tried adding Virtual servers but was getting... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacki
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing Nagios service config files with awk

Hope someone can help, I've been pulling my hair out with this one... I've written a shell script that does a sanity check on our quite extensive Nagios configuration for anything that needs cleaning up but wouldn't make the Nagios daemon necessarily bork or complain. One section of the script... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinbob
2 Replies

6. AIX

How to open port 1001 on AIX 6.1

Hi all, I have problem while starting Oracle Listener on port 1001(I think it's well known ports). It's error "Permission denied" I can start it on port 1111 and no any service started on port 1001(netstat -an). Can I start on this port ??, How ?? Thank you aRm (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arm_naja
5 Replies

7. Programming

Using Different port for Daytime Service

Hi all, is it possible to use a different port number for daytime service. By default the port number of daytime service is 13, so what if I want to get the time from a different port number e.g say 9000 (or any other port). I guess this would remain the same on the server side !... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manisum
2 Replies

8. IP Networking

Tcp ip port open but no such process (merged: Release A Port)

i want to kill a tcp connection by killing its pid with netstat -an i got the tcp ip connection on port 5914 but when i type ps -a or ps-e there is not such process running on port 5914 is it possible that because i do not log on with proper user account i can not see that process running? (30 Replies)
Discussion started by: alinamadchian
30 Replies

9. Solaris

Cabling and adapters to communicate to service processor serial port from Windows PC with USB port.

Hello, I have an unloaded T5140 machine and want to access the ILOM for the first time and subsequently the network port after that., and then load Solaris 10 the final January 2011 build. The first part is what confuses me -the cabling. I am coming from a Windows machine (w/appropriate... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joboy
5 Replies

10. AIX

Nagios for AIX 7.1

Hello All, I am new to Nagios. I have a requirement to monitor AIX 7.1 using Nagios xi, could any one guide me steps to go in right direction. I know Nagios doesn't have precompiled agent and plugin for aix 7.1. Appreciate your help (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsivavani
2 Replies
nnslog(3tcl)															      nnslog(3tcl)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
nnslog - Name service facility, Commandline Logging Client Application SYNOPSIS
nnslog ?-host host? ?-port port? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Please read Name service facility, introduction first. The application described by this document, nnslog, is a simple command line client for the nano name service facility provided by the Tcllib packages nameserv, and nameserv::server. It essentially implements "nns search -continuous *", but uses a different output formatting. Instead of continuously showing the current contents of the server in the terminal it simply logs all received add/remove events to stdout. This name service facility has nothing to do with the Internet's Domain Name System, otherwise known as DNS. If the reader is looking for a package dealing with that please see either of the packages dns and resolv, both found in Tcllib too. USE CASES nnslog was written with the following main use case in mind. [1] Monitoring the name service for all changes and logging them in a text terminal. COMMAND LINE nnslog ?-host host? ?-port port? The command connects to the specified name service, sets up a search for all changes and then prints all received events to stdout, with each events on its own line. The command will not exit until it is explicitly terminated by the user. It will especially sur- vive the loss of the connection to the name service and reestablish the search and log when the connection is restored. The options to specify the name service will be explained later, in section OPTIONS. OPTIONS This section describes all the options available to the user of the application -host name|ipaddress If this option is not specified it defaults to localhost. It specifies the name or ip-address of the host the name service to talk to is running on. -port number If this option is not specified it defaults to 38573. It specifies the TCP port the name service to talk to is listening on for requests. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the application it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category nameserv of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either application and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
nameserv(3tcl), nameserv::common(3tcl) KEYWORDS
application, client, name service CATEGORY
Networking COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2008 Andreas Kupries <andreas_kupries@users.sourceforge.net> Name service facility 1.0 nnslog(3tcl)