Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Insert a user input string after matched string in file Post 303022513 by RudiC on Sunday 2nd of September 2018 06:43:07 AM
Old 09-02-2018
That's NOT suitable for a case statement; use an array and a for loop:
Code:
ARR1=( 0 text1 text2 text3 text4 text5 )
uservar=4
for (( i=1; i<=uservar; i++)); do echo  ${ARR1[i]}; done
text1
text2
text3
text4

Last edited by RudiC; 09-02-2018 at 04:40 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

String extraction from user input - sh

Hi, I have a shell script to build components of a product. The follow snippet will explain what I am doing. # !/bin/sh for choice in "$@" ; do case $choice in "o") echo "Calling $choice" ; o ;; "i") echo... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: vino
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

save every line in log file with matched string

i have been doing this script to match every line in a current log file (access_log) with strings that i list from a path (consist of 100 of user's name ex: meggae ).. and then make a directory of every string from the text file (/path/meggae/) --->if it matched.. then print every line from the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: meggae
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting particular string in a file and storing matched string in output file

Hi , I have input file and i want to extract below strings <msisdn xmlns="">0492001956</ msisdn> => numaber inside brackets <resCode>3000</resCode> => 3000 needs to be extracted <resMessage>Request time getBalances_PSM.c(37): d out</resMessage></ns2:getBalancesResponse> => the word... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushmab82
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

input a string and copy lines from a file with that string on it

i have a file1 with many lines. i have a script that will let me input a string. for example, APPLE. what i need to do is to copy all lines from file1 where i can find APPLE or any string that i specify and paste in on file 2 thanks in advance! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: engr.jay
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching string from input to string of file

Hi, i want to know how to compare string of file with input string im trying following code: file_no=`paste -s -d "||||\n" a.txt | cut -c 1` #it will return collection number from file echo "enter number" read " curr_no" if ; then echo " current number already present" fi ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: a_smith
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

String generation from user input

Hi I have one thing I need advice on, and I don't know where to start so I have no sample code. I want the user to provide input like: 1-3,6,7,9-11 When the input is like this, I want a string to be generated including all the numbers. In the example above, the string would look like: 1... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tobbev
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commenting a line matched with a specific string in a file

Hi, I would like to comment a line that matched a string "sreenivas" in a file without opening it. Thanks in advance. Regards, Sreenivas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search String, Out matched text and input text for no match.

I need to search a string for some specific text which is no big deal using grep. My problem is when the search fails to find the text. I need to add text like "na" when my search does not match. I have tried this command but it does not work when I put the command in a loop in a bash script: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojojmac5
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert String every n lines, resetting line counter at desired string

I need to read a text file and insert a string every n lines, but also have the line counter restart when I come across a header string. Line repeating working every 3 lines using code: sed '0~3 s/$/\nINSERT/g' < INPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt > OUTPUT/PATH/FILE_NAME.txt I cannot seem to find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skonectthedots
1 Replies
File::Queue(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					  File::Queue(3pm)

NAME
File::Queue - Persistent FIFO queue implemented in pure perl! SYNOPSIS
use strict; # always! use File::Queue; my $q = new File::Queue (File => '/var/spool/yourprog/queue'); $q->enq('some flat text1'); $q->enq('some flat text2'); $q->enq('some flat text3'); # Get up to first 10 elements my $contents = $q->peek(10); my $elem1 = $q->deq(); my $elem2 = $q->deq(); # empty the queue $q->reset(); DESCRIPTION
This module allows for the creation of persistent FIFO queue objects. File::Queue only handles scalars as queue elements. If you want to work with references, serialize them first! The module was written with speed in mind, and it is very fast, but it should be used with care. Please refer to the CAVEATS section. Interface File::Queue implements a OO interface. The object methods and parameters are described below. Methods File::Queue supports all of the queue-related functions a developer should expect. o new() Instantiates your File::Queue object. Parameters are described in the next sub-section. o enq() Enqueues a string element to the queue. o deq() Dequeues a string element from the queue, and returns the element. If the queue is empty, nothing is returned. o peek(n) Returns an arrayref containing the next n elements in the queue. If the queue size is less than n, all elements are returned. If the queue is empty, an empty arrayref is returned. o reset() Emptys the queue. o close() Closes the filehandles belonging to the queue object ('.dat' and '.idx'). o delete() Deletes the files belonging to the queue object ('.dat' and '.idx'). Parameters There are a number of parameters that can be passed when constructing your File::Queue objects. Parameters are case-insensitive. o File (required) File::Queue creates two files using this parameter as the base. In the case of the example in the SYNOPSIS, the two files are '/var/spool/yourprog/queue.dat' and '/var/spool/yourprog.idx'. The '.dat' file holds all of the data, the '.idx' file holds the byte index (pointer) of the starting point of the first element in the queue. o Mode (optional) The file bit mode to be shared by both the '.dat' and '.idx' files. Defaults to '0600'. o Seperator (optional) The character or byte sequence that is used to seperate queue elements in the '.dat' file. It should be something you can guarantee will NEVER appear in your queue data. Defaults to the newline character. o BlockSize (optional) This is the size of the byte chunks that are pulled at each iteration when checking for the end of a queued element. Defaults to 64, which will be fine for most cases, but can be tweaked or tuned for your specific case to squeeze out a few extra nanoseconds. CAVEATS
This module should never be used in situations where the queue is not expected to become empty. The '.dat' file is not truncated (emptied) until the queue is empty. Even the data you've already dequeued remains in the '.dat' file until the queue is empty. If you keep enqueueing elements and never FULLY dequeue everything, eventually your disk will fill up! SEE ALSO
Tie::File AUTHOR
Jason Lavold <jlavold [ at ] gmail.com> perl v5.10.0 2008-12-22 File::Queue(3pm)