Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Code that has to end no matter what Post 303022485 by drew77 on Saturday 1st of September 2018 05:32:12 PM
Old 09-01-2018
It did not cause a reboot, but the stress test never ended resulting in an unchecked rise in my cpu temp.

I made some corrections.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Ubuntu_Mate 18.04 LTS
#-----------------------------------
# Much help from https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-and-scripting/
# https://ubuntuforums.org/ https://askubuntu.com/ https://ubuntu-mate.community                                 
#                                 
# don't use ALLCAPS for variable names
#-----------------------------------

LogFile="/home/andy/bin/CPU_Stress_Test.txt"
maxruntime=15s
command=(/usr/bin/stress --cpu 8 --io 4 --vm 2 --vm-bytes 128M --timeout "$maxruntime")
# remove logfile if it exists
if [ -f "$Scripts" ];
then
rm $Scripts
fi

"${command[@]}" & watchpid=$!

date +"%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S" >> $LogFile
sensors -f | grep "temp4" >> $LogFile
sensors -f | grep "fan1" >>  $LogFile

/bin/sleep "$maxruntime"

if [ -d "/proc/$watchpid" ]
then
        echo "Max runtime exceeded, killing PID $watchpid"

if /bin/kill -9 "$watchpid" >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
        then
                echo "Killed."
                exit 0
        else
                echo "Could not kill, please investigate manually."
                exit 1
        fi
fi
date +"%Y-%m-%d-%H:%M:%S" >> $LogFile
sensors -f | grep "temp4" >> $LogFile
sensors -f | grep "fan1" >>  $LogFile

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Need help with this matter

I have a PC that was built in Europe pre-installed with Windows 2000. The HDD is 40GB, but, its split up as two 20GB (Taken up by Windows). I want to take over my Mandrake 9.1 CDs and install Linux on that machine. My question is, how would I proceed to install Linux this way??? Now, If... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wardialer
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete matter in between two lines

help I am having text file like this... ------------------------END OF UPDATION ------------------ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy 1 row updated ------------------------END OF UPDATION ------------------ TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal to the front no matter what

Is there a way to bring the terminal script to the front? I am running this script through OMCEdit which is then running it through Terminal. I have some dialog boxes (using osascript) and the dialog boxes are not coming to the front...Terminal bounces and I have to click on Terminal to see the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mainegate
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep matter between braces

#include<header.h> void classname :: pvvd_init ( abcd ,efgh ,ijkl ,mnop ) { rvcl_tabl_name_tabl.pvvd_init ( xxxx ,"tabl_mame" ) ; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ultimatix
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange system activity no matter what I try

When I choose to encrypt my drive during a Linux install, it encryps it, but I receive errors in dmesg and in ~/.xsessions-errors during use. The first error is in dmesg where it sometimes shows errors writing to the encypted device. The second error is in ~/.xsessions-errors with an error about... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: justgoogleit
0 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)