Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash functions sequence ?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash functions sequence ? Post 303022475 by annacreek on Saturday 1st of September 2018 12:14:46 PM
Old 09-01-2018
Thanks Bakunin.
I need to restate my "primary objective" was and still is to modify existing bash script,
I started with 2000+ lines and now it is doubled!

I realize I am asking stupid and basic questions, however I have no intention to make carrier out of writing bash scripts.

But I am thankful for all the support I have recieved so far.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: Nested functions and including other scripts

Hello. I have the following problem with bash code: function fl1_load_modules_and_get_list() ........... for module in $FL_MODULES_TO_PROCESS do source "${FL_MODULE_DIR}/${module}/module.sh" done ........... } function fl1_handle_install { local... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: FractalizeR
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

[bash] reassigning referenced variables in functions

Hello all, Problem. ---------- I'm trying to reassign a referenced variable passed to a 'local' variable in a function but the local variable refuses to be assigned the content of the referenced variable. Any ideas would be appreciated. Objective. ----------- Eliminate all $VAR... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ASGR
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mathematical functions in bash shell

Hi, How can i do the mathematical calculations in bash shell? Are the mathematical functions available in bash shell? Ex: pow ceil floor sqrt (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash functions arguments

This script is called fuu; #!/bin/bash speak() { case $1 in 1)echo one ;; 2)echo two ;; 3)echo three ;; esac } speak exit 0 when i run fuu 2 i expect "two" like... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tártaro
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Functions, exit, and kill in bash

Hello Okay, for reasons related to sourcing a script from another script, I've had to put my main loop into a function, and from there I call other functions. My problem then is exiting from deep within the function call stack. I used to simply call exit, and that would accomplish what I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: brsett
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create time sequence in bash

hi all, hope someone can assist in this. I'm trying to make a sequence of time in bash so that the output prints the following; 1950-01-01 1950-02-01 1950-03-01 ... 1999-11-01 1999-12-01 In R, i can issue the following command; t1 <- ISOdate(1950,1,1,0,0,0) t2 <-... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Muhammad Rahiz
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bash script to parse sequence...

Hi, I have 4000 list files and 4000 sequence data files. Each list file contains a number of 'headers' and data file contains 'header and data'. I would like to extract data from the data file using the list file and write into a new file. As each of the files are quite large, an efficient piece... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Press Any Key script sequence using bash - HELP

hi to all. im a newbie in unix shell scripts. i want to make a simple unix shell script using the bash shell that asks a user to press any key after a series of commands, or an x if he wishes to exit. here's a sample script that i made: #!/usr/bin/bash pause(){ /usr/bin/echo "\t\t Press... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: booghaw
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

functions and variables in bash

I have a bash script with some functions as below and am wondering if I can use the variables declared in setup in the other functions and in the rest of the bash script. setup(){ none=0; low=1; medium=2; high=3; debug=4 var1="red" var2="fred" } create_basemap() { ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calling Bash Functions in the BG

I'm trying to call some functions in the background so that I can multitask in this script. Not working so hot. The functions I call don't ever seem to get called. I'm doing it the exact same way in another script and it's working like a champ so I'm very confused. Here's a pretty simple repro: ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonkers
7 Replies
SYSLOGOUT(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      SYSLOGOUT(8)

NAME
syslogout - modular centralized shell logout mechanism DESCRIPTION
syslogout is a generic approach to enable centralized shell logout actions for all users of a given system in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysadmins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/syslogout shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are con- tained in the /etc/syslogout.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by the /etc/syslogout script. For shell sessions, the contents of /etc/syslogout.d/" will be sourced by every user at logout if the following lines are present in his $HOME/.bash_logout: if [ -f /etc/syslogout ]; then . /etc/syslogout fi If used for X sessions it is advisable to include the former statement into the Xreset script of the X display manager instead to prevent that closing of an terminal emulator window yields unexpected results in your running X session if your X11 terminal emulator is using a login shell. Be sure then to run it under the user-id of the X session's user. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ for illustration. Users not wanting /etc/syslogout to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosyslogout in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/syslogout.d/ can simply be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.syslogout.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/syslogout.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syslo- gout.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private scripts to be automagically executed by /etc/syslogout at logout time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /usr/share/doc/syslogout/ and the manual page for bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at login time check out the related package sysprofile(8) which is a very close compan- ion to syslogout. BUGS
syslogout in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
syslogout was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSLOGOUT(8)