Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Discussion (Thread) Tagging Upgrades Post 303022461 by Neo on Saturday 1st of September 2018 07:00:15 AM
Old 09-01-2018
Yes, I fully understand the arguments and engineering trade-offs in the areas of tagging and taxonomies.

In our case, on this site, here is my estimate of the problem of tagging on UNIX.COM today:
  1. 90% Lack of members tagging threads.
  2. 10% Issues with similar tags (not fully harmonized)

So, I'm more interested in focusing on the 90% problem and not the 10% (or less issue).

When the balance reverses (and becomes a serious problem), we can address the problem of harmonization and similar tags; but for the foreseeable future, the focus should be tagging without any worry or concern about similar tags, etc.

When I see there is a bonafide problem in the tag space, I will address; but for now, I really think it is not an issue.

Also, moderators and admins can add and delete (and change) tags. It's fun and just takes a second to delete misspelled tags, delete unnecessary tag variations or add additional tags to thread.

Thanks.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CVS Tagging Script

Hi All, We have to tag all source code files to prepare a release kit. We have one CVS Project under which all files have to be tagged. We use the following cvs command to tag a specific version of a file: 'cvs rtag -r X.XX -F "newbuild" somefile' This command asks for the CVS Login... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ID3 tagging script

I'm trying to get a little script working with DropScript 0.5 that edits the ID3 tags of an MP3. Here's what I've got: #!/bin/sh # Strip directory part but leave extension. in_base=`basename "$@"` # Strip extension. in_noext=`echo "$in_base" | sed 's/\.*$//'` /opt/local/bin/id3v2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SimonDorfman
4 Replies

3. AIX

How can I manage redundant HMC upgrades with firmware upgrades?

Lets says I have 2 HMC's A and B, connected to a p570 managed system. Right now the firmware level of the p570 is EM320_076 and that needs to be upgraded to EM340_095. Now the HMC's are at V7R3.3 and as per the code matrix the HMC's needs to be upgraded to V7R3.4 Servicepack 2. Now my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
5 Replies
SVNPATH(1)																SVNPATH(1)

NAME
svnpath - output svn url with support for tags and branches SYNOPSIS
svnpath svnpath tags svnpath branches svnpath trunk DESCRIPTION
svnpath is intended to be run in a Subversion working copy. In its simplest usage, svnpath with no parameters outputs the svn url for the repository associated with the working copy. If a parameter is given, svnpath attempts to instead output the url that would be used for the tags, branches, or trunk. This will only work if it's run in the top-level directory that is subject to tagging or branching. For example, if you want to tag what's checked into Subversion as version 1.0, you could use a command like this: svn cp $(svnpath) $(svnpath tags)/1.0 That's much easier than using svn info to look up the repository url and manually modifying it to derive the url to use for the tag, and typing in something like this: svn cp svn+ssh://my.server.example/svn/project/trunk svn+ssh://my.server.example/svn/project/tags/1.0 svnpath uses a simple heuristic to convert between the trunk, tags, and branches paths. It replaces the first occurrence of trunk, tags, or branches with the name of what you're looking for. This will work ok for most typical Subversion repository layouts. If you have an atypical layout and it does not work, you can add a ~/.svnpath file. This file is perl code, which can modify the path in $url. For example, the author uses this file: #!/usr/bin/perl # svnpath personal override file # For d-i I sometimes work from a full d-i tree branch. Remove that from # the path to get regular tags or branches directories. $url=~s!d-i/(rc|beta)[0-9]+/!!; $url=~s!d-i/sarge/!!; 1 LICENSE
GPL version 2 or later AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joey@kitenet.net> Debian Utilities 2013-12-23 SVNPATH(1)