Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Discussion (Thread) Tagging Upgrades Post 303022461 by Neo on Saturday 1st of September 2018 07:00:15 AM
Old 09-01-2018
Yes, I fully understand the arguments and engineering trade-offs in the areas of tagging and taxonomies.

In our case, on this site, here is my estimate of the problem of tagging on UNIX.COM today:
  1. 90% Lack of members tagging threads.
  2. 10% Issues with similar tags (not fully harmonized)

So, I'm more interested in focusing on the 90% problem and not the 10% (or less issue).

When the balance reverses (and becomes a serious problem), we can address the problem of harmonization and similar tags; but for the foreseeable future, the focus should be tagging without any worry or concern about similar tags, etc.

When I see there is a bonafide problem in the tag space, I will address; but for now, I really think it is not an issue.

Also, moderators and admins can add and delete (and change) tags. It's fun and just takes a second to delete misspelled tags, delete unnecessary tag variations or add additional tags to thread.

Thanks.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

CVS Tagging Script

Hi All, We have to tag all source code files to prepare a release kit. We have one CVS Project under which all files have to be tagged. We use the following cvs command to tag a specific version of a file: 'cvs rtag -r X.XX -F "newbuild" somefile' This command asks for the CVS Login... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

ID3 tagging script

I'm trying to get a little script working with DropScript 0.5 that edits the ID3 tags of an MP3. Here's what I've got: #!/bin/sh # Strip directory part but leave extension. in_base=`basename "$@"` # Strip extension. in_noext=`echo "$in_base" | sed 's/\.*$//'` /opt/local/bin/id3v2... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SimonDorfman
4 Replies

3. AIX

How can I manage redundant HMC upgrades with firmware upgrades?

Lets says I have 2 HMC's A and B, connected to a p570 managed system. Right now the firmware level of the p570 is EM320_076 and that needs to be upgraded to EM340_095. Now the HMC's are at V7R3.3 and as per the code matrix the HMC's needs to be upgraded to V7R3.4 Servicepack 2. Now my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balaji_prk
5 Replies
M_TAG(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual						  M_TAG(9)

NAME
m_tag, m_tag_get, m_tag_free, m_tag_prepend, m_tag_unlink, m_tag_delete, m_tag_delete_chain, m_tag_delete_nonpersistent, m_tag_find, m_tag_copy, m_tag_copy_chain, m_tag_init, m_tag_first, m_tag_next -- mbuf tagging interfaces SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mbuf.h> struct m_tag * m_tag_get(int type, int len, int wait); void m_tag_free(struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_prepend(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_unlink(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_delete(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_delete_chain(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); void m_tag_delete_nonpersistent(struct mbuf *); struct m_tag * m_tag_find(struct mbuf *m, int type, struct m_tag *t); struct m_tag * m_tag_copy(struct m_tag *m); int m_tag_copy_chain(struct mbuf *to, struct mbuf *from); void m_tag_init(struct mbuf *m); struct m_tag * m_tag_first(struct mbuf *m); struct m_tag * m_tag_next(struct mbuf *m, struct m_tag *t); DESCRIPTION
The m_tag interface is used to ``tag'' mbufs. FUNCTIONS
m_tag_get(type, len, wait) Allocate an mbuf tag. type is one of the PACKET_TAG_ macros. len is the size of the data associated with the tag, in bytes. wait is either M_WAITOK or M_NOWAIT. m_tag_free(t) Free the mbuf tag t. m_tag_prepend(m, t) Prepend the mbuf tag t to the mbuf m. t will become the first tag of the mbuf m. When m is freed, t will also be freed. m_tag_unlink(m, t) Unlink the mbuf tag t from the mbuf m. m_tag_delete(m, t) The same as m_tag_unlink() followed by m_tag_free(). m_tag_delete_chain(m, t) Unlink and free mbuf tags beginning with the mbuf tag t from the mbuf m. If t is NULL, m_tag_delete_chain() unlinks and frees all mbuf tags associated with the mbuf m. m_tag_delete_nonpersistent(m) Unlink and free all non persistent tags associated with the mbuf m. m_tag_find(m, type, t) Find an mbuf tag with type type after the mbuf tag t in the tag chain associated with the mbuf m. If t is NULL, search from the first mbuf tag. If an mbuf tag is found, return a pointer to it. Otherwise return NULL. m_tag_copy(t) Copy an mbuf tag t. Return a new mbuf tag on success. Otherwise return NULL. m_tag_copy_chain(to, from) Copy all mbuf tags associated with the mbuf from to the mbuf to. If to already has any mbuf tags, they will be unlinked and freed beforehand. Return 1 on success. Otherwise return 0. m_tag_init(m) Initialize mbuf tag chain of the mbuf m. m_tag_first(m) Return the first mbuf tag associated with the mbuf m. Return NULL if no mbuf tags are found. m_tag_next(m, t) Return the next mbuf tag after t associated with the mbuf m. Return NULL if t is the last tag in the chain. CODE REFERENCES
The mbuf tagging interfaces are implemented within the file sys/kern/uipc_mbuf2.c. The PACKET_TAG_ macros are defined in the file sys/sys/mbuf.h. SEE ALSO
intro(9), malloc(9), mbuf(9) BUGS
The semantics of the term "persistent tag" are vague. BSD
September 7, 2004 BSD