Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to find string and delete before just in line? Post 303022230 by baris35 on Tuesday 28th of August 2018 10:43:20 AM
Old 08-28-2018
How to find string and delete before just in line?

Hello,

When my lines contain question mark, I use below command to delete the portion of the matching line coming after question mark:

Code:
sed 's/?.*//' SampleFile

SampleFile:
Code:
helloworldfirstline?mdksmyymsss
hellosecondlineworld?mdksmkkmsss
thirdhelloworld?mdksmccmsss

Output:
Code:
helloworldfirstline
hellosecondlineworld
thirdhelloworld

What if I wish to delete before the question mark in each line?

Expected output1:
Code:
mdksmyymsss
mdksmkkmsss
mdksmccmsss

or ...

Expected output2:
Code:
mdksmyymsss?
mdksmkkmsss?
mdksmccmsss?

With or without question mark, both are welcome.

Many Thanks
Boris

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a Line with a string X

Hi guys, I am new here. I have done many scripts in VisualBasic and batch. Now going to *inux and learning bash and perl, quite amazing commands I find in linux, like sed, grep, awk and so on... the task is simple, find a string in folders and remove the line where that string exists. I can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 4scriptmoni
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete a string from line

hi i have a file contains data session terminated Line timeout: 120 Change state START->SIGNON_REPLY, RC=0 Change state SIGNON_REPLY->SIGNON, RC=0 i need to remove "Change state" and write to the same file please help thanks Satya (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find Pattern delete line and next line

I am trying to delete the line with pattern and the next line. Found the below command in forum which also deleted the previous line. how should i modify that to make sure that only the line with pattern and the next line are deleted but not the previous line? awk '/key... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rdhanek
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find specific line and delete line after.

I'm looking for a way to search a file, in this case init.rc for a specific match, service adbd /sbin/adbd, and delete the a specific line after it Original: # adbd is controlled by the persist.service.adb.enable system property service adbd /sbin/adbd disabled After deletion: #... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: GabrialDestruir
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: delete a string from last line

I am using a while loop to read a file and i have to delete a string from the last line. Here is the code so far: 1. Read line by line from file new.html using while loop and store in a variable data 2.Now, need to replace '||chr( from last line in data I am able to replace that character from... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chella15
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed find exact string and delete line with variable

All, I am trying to read in a variable and search a file then delete based on that string, but i want to match exact word. This works but it matches all, i don't want to match anthing that contains the string, just the exact string. sed -i "/$feedname/d" file I tried sed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: markdjones82
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find number in string and delete it AWK

Hi all, i have some logs on my linux server that looks like this: CDR.2012-04-30:30-04-2012 14:09:36;123456456654;A;Greetings! Your amount is 42.24 dollars (without VAT) until 30/04/2012 11:00. CDR.2012-04-30:30-04-2012 14:09:36;12154878454212;A;Greetings! Your amount is 4203.2 dollars... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: arrals_vl
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find a string in a line in UNIX file and delete that line and previous 3 lines ?

Hi , i have a file with data as below.This is same file. But actual file contains to many rows. i want to search for a string "Field 039 00" and delete that line and previous 3 lines in that file.. Can some body suggested me how can i do using either sed or awk command ? Field 004... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vadlamudy
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string,delete the line and replace with new string in a file

Hi Everyone, I have a requirement in ksh where i have a set of files in a directory. I need to search each and every file if a particular string is present in the file, delete that line and replace that line with another string expression in the same file. I am very new to unix. Kindly help... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
10 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)