Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Split file using awk
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Split file using awk Post 303022207 by rosebud123 on Monday 27th of August 2018 12:27:40 PM
Old 08-27-2018
Correct...How to run the AWK inside a shell script by passing parameters

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file using awk

I am trying to read a file and split the file into multiple files. I need to create new files with different set of lines from the original file. ie, the first output file may contain 10 lines and the second 100 lines and so on. The criteria is to get the lines between two lines starting with some... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pvar
8 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Split a file with no pattern -- Split, Csplit, Awk

I have gone through all the threads in the forum and tested out different things. I am trying to split a 3GB file into multiple files. Some files are even larger than this. For example: split -l 3000000 filename.txt This is very slow and it splits the file with 3 million records in each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhunk
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

split file with awk

I did a lot of search on this forum on spiting file; found a lot, but my requirement is a bit different, please guide. Master file: x:start:5 line1:23 line2:12 2:90 x:end:5 x:start:2 45:56 22:90 x:end:2 x:start:3 line1:23 line2:12 x:end:3 x:start:2 line5:23 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: uwork72
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - split file

How can I split a text file (in awk) in n others with number of record given in input? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinguc
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a file using awk

Hi , I just need to split a file and outputfiles are redirected to gzip file need: Input file - A.gz content of A.gz is 100|sfdds|dffdds|200112|sdfdf 100|sfdds|dffdds|200112|sdfdf 100|sfdds|dffdds|200112|sdfdf 100|sfdds|dffdds|200212|sdfdf 100|sfdds|dffdds|200212|sdfdf... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_xunil
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to split a file using AWK?

Hello, I have a file like the following: david,a,b,c,20,r thomas,a,b,c,30,r willaiam,a,b,c,80,r barbara,a,b,c,100,r I would like to split the file into other files using a condition for the contents of column 5. The condition should be a if the contents of column 5 is in a range... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: keenboy100
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK File Split

Hi All, Input.txt XYZONEABC                  CZXTWOJJJ KKKSIXOOO asdfhajlsdhfajs asdfasfasdf Output Files: ONE.txt XYZONEABC                 TWO.txt CZXTWOJJJ SIX.txt KKKSIXOOO I had a script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kmsekhar
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split a file with awk

Hi! I have a file like this: a,b,c,12,d,e a,b,c,13,d,e a,b,c,14,d,e a,b,c,15,d,e a,b,c,16,d,e a,b,c,17,d,e I need to split that file in two: If field 4 is equal or higher than 14 that row goes to one file and if it is equal or higher than 15 to another. Can anyone point me in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tr0cken
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split File by Pattern with File Names in Source File... Awk?

Hi all, I'm pretty new to Shell scripting and I need some help to split a source text file into multiple files. The source has a row with pattern where the file needs to be split, and the pattern row also contains the file name of the destination for that specific piece. Here is an example: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cul8er
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk file split

Hi all, First of all I' like to mention that I'm pretty new to unix scripting. :( I'm trying to split an large xml with awk and rename it based on the values of two attributes. Example XML <RECORD> <element1>11</element1> <element2>22</element2> <element3>33</element3>... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: f0usk4s
18 Replies
split(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							  split(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
split - Split a string into a proper Tcl list SYNOPSIS
split string ?splitChars? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns a list created by splitting string at each character that is in the splitChars argument. Each element of the result list will con- sist of the characters from string that lie between instances of the characters in splitChars. Empty list elements will be generated if string contains adjacent characters in splitChars, or if the first or last character of string is in splitChars. If splitChars is an empty string then each character of string becomes a separate element of the result list. SplitChars defaults to the standard white-space char- acters. EXAMPLES
Divide up a USENET group name into its hierarchical components: split "comp.lang.tcl.announce" . -> comp lang tcl announce See how the split command splits on every character in splitChars, which can result in information loss if you are not careful: split "alpha beta gamma" "temp" -> al {ha b} {} {a ga} {} a Extract the list words from a string that is not a well-formed list: split "Example with {unbalanced brace character" -> Example with {unbalanced brace character Split a string into its constituent characters split "Hello world" {} -> H e l l o { } w o r l d PARSING RECORD-ORIENTED FILES Parse a Unix /etc/passwd file, which consists of one entry per line, with each line consisting of a colon-separated list of fields: ## Read the file set fid [open /etc/passwd] set content [read $fid] close $fid ## Split into records on newlines set records [split $content " "] ## Iterate over the records foreach rec $records { ## Split into fields on colons set fields [split $rec ":"] ## Assign fields to variables and print some out... lassign $fields userName password uid grp longName homeDir shell puts "$longName uses [file tail $shell] for a login shell" } SEE ALSO
join(n), list(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
list, split, string Tcl split(n)