Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting While read won't run keyboard function Post 303022176 by annacreek on Sunday 26th of August 2018 09:56:31 PM
Old 08-26-2018
Thanks, I think you answered my question.
The whiptail menu while read "searches" are indeed redirected and pause expect stdio.

It will take me a while to fix that after I'll take a harder look at "redirection".

------ Post updated at 08:56 PM ------

OK, I thought I can fix this myself, but I guess not.

Code:

"${24}" "${25}" off \
 464  2>results        "redirected" stderr to file results 

function "pause"  uses stdio and test works fine here 

465 echo "TOK HERE # $LINENO TEST PAUSE @line $LINEN0 TOK cut_TEST"
 466 pause 
 467 echo "TOK HERE # $LINENO TEST PAUSE @line $LINEN0 TOK cut_TEST"
 468 pause 
 469 echo "START read all positionining parameters" 
 470 #pause
 471 counter=1
 472 while read choice
 473  do

reading from file "results "   (?) 

474  echo "$LINENO TEST PAUSE @line $LINEN0 TOK cut_TEST"
 475  pause 

"pause" skips here 

476  echo "$LINENO TEST PAUSE @line $LINEN0 TOK cut_TEST"
 477  pause 
 478  echo "STOP HERE %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% @line $LINENO Execute pause func$
 479  pause 
 480  echo "@line $LINENO Execute pause function "

Now for the stupid question - all info about redirection talks about redirecting FILES.

What is the correct syntax to redirect FUNCTION ?
I assume I will have to change the redirection after the pause returns the flow back to the "while do/done "

Here is the copy of pause , it just waits for "enter" key when working correctly

Code:
pause(){
  echo "STOP HERE " 
  read -p "Press [Enter] key to continue..."  
}

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why won't my script run?

On the following script that I get an error when I try to execute as root: #./mv_log.sh bash: /root/util/mv_log.sh: Permission denied #!/usr/bin datetag=`date --date='1 day ago' +"%b%d%Y"` logname=`find /opt/bea/wlserver6.1/config/*/logs/ -iname 'access.log0*' -mtime -1 -print` mv... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron won't run properly

I am new to unix, and this is my 1st post on this board. Looking for some advice about a cron job in my server. I am running a cron task that references a script which runs several other scripts and compiles them into a report and emails it to me. If I run the script manually, I will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steeler_fan
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Made command into a script but now won't run

Hello, After seeing in a Unix cheatsheet that I could add commands into a file and run that file as a command to save on typing, i tried it with this: #! /bin/csh # Backup website excluding directories that do not change rsync -e "ssh -p 2222" -axzvc --progress --stats --compress-level=9... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: patwa
9 Replies

4. Solaris

smc won't run on a regular user

Hi All, I'm getting this all the time with a regular user (after I do su - and smc): It appears you are attempting to run the graphical Solaris Management Console from a terminal which does not have a suitable 'DISPLAY' environment. Please check your 'DISPLAY' settings and that the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: itik
5 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Toshiba Laptop Won't Run Bluetooth with Ubuntu

I am running Ubuntu 8.1 on a Toshiba Satellite P105-S9337 with built-in Bluetooth hardware. I cannot get the Bluetooth hardware to work with my Microsoft Bluetooth mouse. I have installed the tosh software with no luck. Does anyone have an idea as to what to try. I have several kernel mods... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tjloeb
0 Replies

6. SCO

SCO 6.0-Keys in keyboard function differently

Sir I have HP installed with SCO 6.0. The problems are (1) some keys in board like 'del' 'backspace', 'pageup/dn" do not function and display some special characters on conole. (2) Files transferred from Windows machine invariably contain control Z/M characters. How to resolve these issues. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chssastry
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read from terminal/keyboard > /dev/tty

Hi, I need to provide more than one character to "> /dev/tty" through terminal/keyboard input, I have this: ok=false while do echo " Enter r1 to reformat " > /dev/tty read choice case $choice in ) echo " bla bla bla " ;; done However, in this way,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
3 Replies

8. HP-UX

CDE Login on console won't use keyboard

Hi all, I'm installing a HP r2660 machine with HP-UX 11.23 (this version fixed by customer's product) and I've troubles using the VGA console as workstation display. At first it worked just as TEXT console, then I fixed /etc/dt/config/Xservers and now I've the CDE prompt for login. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: larry100
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run command if no mouse or keyboard input

I would like a script that would run pm-suspend if there has been no keyboard or mouse input for a specified time. ------ Post updated at 11:17 AM ------ Never mind. I found a setting in power management that does what I need. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: drew77
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Bash script won't run because hardware won't produce display

Can anyone offer any advice on how to modify the script below to work on a new system we have, that has no graphics capability? We admin the system through a serial RAS device. I've tried running the below script through the RAS and through an ssh -X session. It failed with something like "GTK... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yelirt5
3 Replies