Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace string2 by string3 where string1 is found in line Post 303022150 by Don Cragun on Sunday 26th of August 2018 09:34:47 AM
Old 08-26-2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by baris35
Dear Don,
Thanks for your reply.
I am running under ubuntu 18.04.
Let me specificially give an example for my case:

Let's say, string1 is keyword, string2 is .
I wish to remove dot sign when keyword is found in line:
I do:
Code:
sed '/keyword/s/.//g' TextFile > output

Double quotes is also not sorting it out.

There is no below line in output file:
Code:
Second line with keyword &.

Of course there isn't. In the command:
Code:
sed '/keyword/s/.//g'

keyword and . are not just strings, they are regular expressions. And the regular expression . matches any single character. And globally replacing every character in a line with an empty string changes every line that contains keyword into an empty line.

To match a literal period character, try:
Code:
sed '/keyword/s/\.//g' TextFile > output

or:
Code:
sed '/keyword/s/[.]//g' TextFile > output

This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing string1 with string2 in many files

I have 70 files and want to replace string1 with string2. How can i do that?. Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashikandi
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace a line below where the pattern found

Hi All, I have a file say abc.xml. In this file, I need to search for a pattern “SAP_GATEWAY_HOST”; if this pattern found and the next line also contain the pattern “nwprc03.cos” then I need to replace this pattern “nwprc03.cos” with some other pattern “nwdrc03.apjp”. $ cat abc.xml... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ritesh.patni84
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ps -ef | grep "string1" "string2" " "string3"

Hi all, can any one suggest me the script to grep multiple strings from ps -ef pls correct the below script . its not working/ i want to print OK if all the below process are running in my solaris system. else i want to print NOT OK. bash-3.00$ ps -ef | grep blu lscpusr 48 42 ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace line with found unknown pattern

Hi, I have a file with the following content: --------- a 3242 tc_5 gdfg4 random text a 3242 tc_6 gdfg4 random text a 3242 tc_7 gdfg4 random text a 3242 tc_4 gdfg4 --------- I want to replace the lines containing tc_? (tc_5, tc_6 etc. even with unknown numbers) with the found... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: joas
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines before string1 and after string2

Hello All... I have a text file (.ics) which I need to read into a variable but ONLY the part including and after 'BEGIN:VEVENT' and ending with END:VEVENT Anything before BEGIN:VEVENT or after END:VEVENT should be ignored. Thanks for input Jeff BEGIN:VCALENDAR VERSION:2.0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uptimejeff
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - print record with both string1 and string2

How do I use awk to find the records in a file that contains two specific strings? I have tried piping and using awk two times, but I don't know how to do it in one action. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read file and replace a particular line if found

Hi All There is another challenge which stand in front of me. And want all to have the experience with that I have a file in Unix say a.txt. What I was trying is to read the file line by line and matching the line to particular pattern, and if that pattern found I want to replace that line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace string2 with string3 on all lines starting with string1

My OS is Windows 10 and I am using Cygwin. The file 1 content is: USE solution 2; -4.000 USE solution 3; -4.000 … USE solution 29; -4.000 USE solution 30; -4.000 USE solution 31; -4.000 …. USE solution 89; -4.000 ... USE solution 202; -4.000 etc... I need to replace... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: supernono06
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find string1, when true find string2 in reverse direction

Hello, This is a bit complicated for me. My scenario in MyFile: Search string1, When string1 is found, grep the line containing string1, go back over that line in upward direction and grep the first line containing string2. Here is an example: MyFile His email address... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace string2 by string3 where string1 is found in line

I found this in the forum that searches a file for string1, substitute all occurrences of string2 with string3. (Title: Replace string2 by string3 where string1 is found in line) >> sed -i '/string1/s/string2/string3/g' TextFile How will I perform the same sed command and only substitute... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
3 Replies