Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Random letters
Top Forums UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers Random letters Post 303022038 by RudiC on Thursday 23rd of August 2018 05:20:13 AM
Old 08-23-2018
Facts / data, please.
Where exactly do you need the <TAB> separation?
What and how "didn't come out well"?

For the space separated underscore chars, use " _ " for the T[...] assignment.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

capital letters GONE!

I have an odd issue. I am trying to copy some files/folders to my linux box via a burned CD which I created on my mac. When I browse the files on the mac (or my windows box), everything looks fine (some of the folder names start with a capital letter, which is needed for everything to work... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: blogg
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

transposing letters

Hi, I've written a shell function in bash that reads letters into an array, then outputs them in one column with: for n in "${array}"; do echo $n done I was wondering if anyone knew how i would transpose the letters that are output by the for loop. Right now my output is: aabbcc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: myscsa2004
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

trim letters

Hello, I have a list of words.. ranging from 4 to any characters long.. to not more than 20 though. How can I select only first seven letters of the list of words? example:- wwwwwwwwww eeeee wererreetf sdsarddrereewtewt sdsdsds sdsd ereetetttt ewtwertwrttrttrtrtwtrww I... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fed.linuxgossip
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to strip few letters

Hey guys.. Can experts help me in achieving my purpose.. I have a file which contains email address of some 100 to 1000 domains, I need only the domain names.. Eg: abc@yahoo.com hd@gamil.com ed@hotmail.com The output should contain only Yahoo.com ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: achararun
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add letters

I want to add letters A,B,C,… in front of every line of input while printing them out using PERL. eg A file is parsed as a cmd line arg and its context will be displayed as A line1... B line 2.. I tried this..but I want better and perfect solution! !perl -p my $counter; BEGIN { $counter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
4 Replies

6. Ubuntu

expect script for random password and random commands

Hi I am new to expect. Please if any one can help on my issue its really appreciable. here is my issue: I want expect script for random passwords and random commands generation. please can anyone help me? Many Thanks in advance (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
0 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Random insertion of letters to password

Hi,, Here i have attached a text file where iam facing problem in my code. Please read the file and help me out of this issue.. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanid
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomize letters

Hi, Is there a tool somewhat parallel to rev, but which randomizes instead of reverses? I've tried rl, but I can only get it to randomize words. I was hoping for something like this echo "hello" | ran leolh less simpler solutions are also welcome. Sorry if the question is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
21 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate a file with random data. /dev/[u]random doesn't exist.

Need to use dd to generate a large file from a sample file of random data. This is because I don't have /dev/urandom. I create a named pipe then: dd if=mynamed.fifo do=myfile.fifo bs=1024 count=1024 but when I cat a file to the fifo that's 1024 random bytes: cat randomfile.txt >... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devyn
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to cut only letters?

I was wondering how I could cut only the names of items from the following list: spoons50 cups29 forks50 plates29 I used "man cut" and thought -c would help, but the items have different character lengths. Please note that there is no space between the item and number (so I can't use... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: PTcharger
10 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-cdu] [-f fields] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the standard input comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the standard output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Don't output lines that are not repeated in the input. -f fields Ignore the first fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adja- cent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first fields fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Don't output lines that are repeated in the input. If additional arguments are specified on the command line, the first such argument is used as the name of an input file, the second is used as the name of an output file. The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
January 6, 2007 BSD