Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Forum Update New Steps for UNIX.com Post 303021972 by Neo on Wednesday 22nd of August 2018 12:24:30 AM
Old 08-22-2018
Forum Update New Steps for UNIX.com

Dear Everyone,

Thank you for all the great comments, feedback and patience during our recent modernization efforts at unix.com.

Now, I need to decide where to go next, as we move into the next phase.

Some of the ideas I have are:

• Make the UserCP experience and all those non-public UserCP pages responsive for mobile and other devices other than the desktop. This seems like a low priority since these pages are not public.

• Redesign the user profile pages. However, this does not seems like a high priority for members and others have suggested we use the "blue side bars" feature for this and do not redesign and do unnecessary work.

• Add new code to make it easier to upload attachments. This seems like a "higher priority" item, because uploading attachments is not easy, so I am considering some new code to make it very easy for users to upload attachments.

• Add new code so guests can give thanks / thumbs up for posts. This seems like somewhat a low priority.

• Add new code so guest can post questions and replies. This seems like a good idea, but I have mixed feelings because of the possibility for increased spam and a work load increase on moderators. This is related to the next bullet point:

• Add new code to permit login with FB and other social media accounts. I hesitate to do this because I'm not very happy with what is going on in the world of social media these days and the lack of privacy and transparency. Personally, I have disabled all FB and other social media logins on all websites. I am working to decrease my personal dependency on social media and not increase it.

If anybody has any "burning ideas", "strong feelings" or features they want to see, please post them in this thread so I can think of the path forward for the next phase of site modernization.

Thanks

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. SCO

Installation steps (request how to install UNIX)

Hello hey ppl I wanna use Unix SCO, and I have a Unix SCO 5.05 bootable CD. Now plz can any one help me or guide me the steps of Unix installation. I want to install myself so plz If anyone experts in Unix installation & knows simple configuration... so plz mail me or reply me here , step by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohsin
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script with mutiple steps/commands, on UNIX servers

Hi, I wrote a simple script, which will call other scripts or run commands on a UNIX server. my script has multiple steps/commands with some delay in between. I usually get some email notifications after the successful execution of each step. **My intention is to get email alerts when it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: System Admin 77
5 Replies

3. Solaris

Need steps for Netbackup Update from 7.1 to 7.5

Hello Friends, I need a document with steps to upgrade Symantec Netbackup from 7.1 to 7.5. Would you please help me on this. I have Symantec provided pdf but looks like reference book. I need only steps which is needed to be followed. Please guide me. Information about my Server My... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: manalisharmabe
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Steps to download and install UNIX in windows7 32 bit.

Can anyone tell the steps to download and install unix OS in windows 7 32 bit. I want to install unix and practice commands there. Any version is ok (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Little
4 Replies

5. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Update: Disabled Home Page Forum Statistics for Guests (Not Registered)

Just a quick update; to speed up the forums, I have disabled the forum statistics on the home page for non registered users. No changes for registered users. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Forum Twitter Update @unixlinux

Hi Everyone, In the future, I will will be sending out a Tweet or two @unixlinux when working on optimizing the site database or other admin tasks which might cause site performance problems. For example, when we optimize the database (normally on the weekend) there can be a fairly serious... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?