Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Logical Error With Type Conversion In C Post 303021933 by Azrael on Monday 20th of August 2018 07:05:32 PM
Old 08-20-2018
Very odd. I had tried using letters in place of the numbers I had in the switch/case before, but I could not get it to work. Now it works with the exert I provided earlier. I didn't show in that exert, but I also included digits, letters and special characters with the rest of the code. Perhaps I just didn't escape some special character properly, but I can come back to that later.

If I print out the m_array with something like this:

Code:
for (i = 0; i < DATA_SIZE; i++){
            printf("%x\n", m_array[i]);
    }

I get back an array of random numbers that I generated from another function:

Code:
 ./test | tail 
8885ffc9
77a822d5
bf34d05d
bc229af3
fc171fb9
ab7d3609
4815ef59
83facdc3
7d77bf58
881d17ea

Then I have another function that should randomly select an element from that array, or for any of the arrays from characters that match, and use one number to replace the letter given. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

With using the characters in the switch/case I guess the whole conversion of char arrays to ints won't be needed. I could just create a new array with the numbers that are switched for the letters I guess.

I'm sure you're right about this part, but I'd like to understand why:

Code:
data[j] = ranit(m_array);

That function should just grab one random element that's a number from the m_array. I guess I'm assigning it wrong there?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Error in creating logical partition

Dear Members, I am using SCO-Unix 5.0.5. I have created 2 logical drives but some of the blocks are overlapped and are now giving warning during startup. I have used fsck to settle the problems but to no avail. Kindly help me to sort out the problem. Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagendrajaiswal
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Does KSH support data type conversion?

Hello,everyone here. I'm coding with KSH to achieve exploring the disk space and judging whether it closes to overflow.But It seems that no one way to convert a string variable to integer. df | read A B C D E F G H I J K L print ${L} Can I convert L to integer type? Thanks for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: joshuaduan
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

error during run: St9bad_alloc - Getting this error while using some conversion progr

Hi all, It will be very useful If you spare some time with me for this worrying error. I am calling a conversion program which is written in C++ for converting a file format to different format. It was working fine for this past 2 yrs. But now it is not working since the file size has been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathu_pec
1 Replies

4. AIX

Type of Logical Volume lost after vgexport/gvimport process

Hi, I have the next doubt about of lost of characteristic of LV in my original configuration # lsvg -l ifxvg ifxvg: LV NAME TYPE LPs PPs PVs LV STATE MOUNT POINT aw64m_01 jfs 1 1 1 open/syncd N/A aw64m_02 jfs 1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cerber0
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Build Error: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type

I'm getting the following Error: prepare_pcap.c: In function `prepare_pkts': prepare_pcap.c:127: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type prepare_pcap.c:138: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type ==================================== This is the part of the relevant... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: katwala
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logical error

I have this script to uvscan-update. Seems like that i am getting logical error at the end of the script. It is updating the script and also giving the error message to update it manually. I have deleted the DAT files to see if it will create new and it does. Below is the error and the script: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mk07md
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Military type format date/time conversion

Hello All, I have a requirement to convert a 12 hour format to 24 hour time format and the sample input /out put is below Input Time format : Nov 2 2011 12:16AM Out Put Format : Nov 2 2011 0:16 Input : Nov 2 2011 4:16PM Out Put: Nov 2 2011 16:16 I have done this using a... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
6 Replies

8. Programming

type conversion C, atoi()

In the book "The C programming language"; second edition, chapter 2.7 there is a snippet which is supposed to: "convert a string of digits into its numeric equivalent". int atoi(char s) { int i, n; n = 0; for ( i = 0; s >= '0' && s <= '9'; ++i) n = 10 * n + (s -... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tornow
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Logical if error

Hi All, I am writing a simple script to read a file and display the lines with char count between 20 and 25. I am stuck with the if condition here. Tried a lot but still getting an error on the if condition # if && if && My script is very simple as below, not able to understand... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
7 Replies
libtalloc_dts(3)						      talloc							  libtalloc_dts(3)

NAME
libtalloc_dts - Chapter 3: Dynamic type system Dynamic type system Generic programming in the C language is very difficult. There is no inheritance nor templates known from object oriented languages. There is no dynamic type system. Therefore, generic programming in this language is usually done by type-casting a variable to void* and transferring it through a generic function to a specialized callback as illustrated on the next listing. void generic_function(callback_fn cb, void *pvt) { /* do some stuff and call the callback */ cb(pvt); } void specific_callback(void *pvt) { struct specific_struct *data; data = (struct specific_struct*)pvt; /* ... */ } void specific_function() { struct specific_struct data; generic_function(callback, &data); } Unfortunately, the type information is lost as a result of this type cast. The compiler cannot check the type during the compilation nor are we able to do it at runtime. Providing an invalid data type to the callback will result in unexpected behaviour (not necessarily a crash) of the application. This mistake is usually hard to detect because it is not the first thing which comes the mind. As we already know, every talloc context contains a name. This name is available at any time and it can be used to determine the type of a context even if we lose the type of a variable. Although the name of the context can be set to any arbitrary string, the best way of using it to simulate the dynamic type system is to set it directly to the type of the variable. It is recommended to use one of talloc() and talloc_array() (or its variants) to create the context as they set its name to the name of the given type automatically. If we have a context with such as a name, we can use two similar functions that do both the type check and the type cast for us: o talloc_get_type() o talloc_get_type_abort() Examples The following example will show how generic programming with talloc is handled - if we provide invalid data to the callback, the program will be aborted. This is a sufficient reaction for such an error in most applications. void foo_callback(void *pvt) { struct foo *data = talloc_get_type_abort(pvt, struct foo); /* ... */ } int do_foo() { struct foo *data = talloc_zero(NULL, struct foo); /* ... */ return generic_function(foo_callback, data); } But what if we are creating a service application that should be running for the uptime of a server, we may want to abort the application during the development process (to make sure the error is not overlooked) and try to recover from the error in the customer release. This can be achieved by creating a custom abort function with a conditional build. void my_abort(const char *reason) { fprintf(stderr, "talloc abort: %s0, reason); #ifdef ABORT_ON_TYPE_MISMATCH abort(); #endif } The usage of talloc_get_type_abort() would be then: talloc_set_abort_fn(my_abort); TALLOC_CTX *ctx = talloc_new(NULL); char *str = talloc_get_type_abort(ctx, char); if (str == NULL) { /* recovery code */ } /* talloc abort: ../src/main.c:25: Type mismatch: name[talloc_new: ../src/main.c:24] expected[char] */ Version 2.0 Tue Jun 17 2014 libtalloc_dts(3)