Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep string in a file and paste next line in a specific way Post 303021927 by baris35 on Monday 20th of August 2018 04:36:34 PM
Old 08-20-2018
Grep string in a file and paste next line in a specific way

Hello,
I know there are many questions and replies regarding grep command.
What I would like to do is a bit different.

File A:
Code:
hello world welcome to my page
this is my test site
how are you
I am fine, thank you
where have you been
I was in hospital
really hope you are fine now
Thanks, all black days are away now
What about your family
Thank you so much, All good
Sounds nice
Cheers
You too
Cheers2

FileB:
Code:
how are you
where have you been
What about your family
Sounds nice
You too

Code:
grep -A1 'world' FileA | grep -A1 'page'

It will grep next one of the line containing world and page words and then it will paste it to FileB after matching line.

Expected output should be:
Code:
this is my test site
how are you
where have you been
What about your family
Sounds nice

Really appreciated if you could lead me how to solve this.

Thanks
Boris

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use CODE (not QUOTE!) tags as required by forum rules!

Last edited by RudiC; 08-20-2018 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Changed QUOTE to CODE tags.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

copy and paste a specific line

Hi I am having some trouble cut and paste a file based on the content of another file. I have a file called draft. I need to cut and paste its content to another file based on the content of a file called proc.txt The content of proc.txt is like the following:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger99
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep on specific line of the file

Hi, how can we search for a word (with case ignore )on specific line numbers ex: Awk /^regEX/ with condition on first line or second line Awk/^ regex1/ on line 1 Awk /^regEX2/ on line 3 thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rider29
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep a specific line from a file

Is there a way to grep only one line from a file listing name of files? If I use head -1 it's ok(the first line only) If I use head -2 it's not good because I have already checked the first line. I'd like something like this: while test $i -le $max do grep "$3" `head -$i temp.txt` >... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Max89
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a line from a file based on one specific string instance?

Hello! I need to delete one line in a file which matches one very precise instance of a string only. When searching the forum I unfortunately only found a solution which would delete each line on which a particular string occurs. Let's assume I have a file composed of thousands of lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Black Sun
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a specific line from grep output string

Dear All I want to search string "1000" from input file and if it found i want remove line that contain 1000 and also remove 3 line above it and 2 line below it. INPUT FILE: BHAT-D 2 aaa ID CODE GS UPDATE MODE LANG MCO MCL NUMPAGES 50 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
7 Replies

6. Programming

How to grep the specific string or user's list from the file

I have a file on UNIX system from where I want to grep the list of all users associated to the particular repository.If the user's list is in single line then I fetch all list but if it is in two separate lines it doesn't.I use the below command a=KESTREL-DEV;b=users;cat access_file|grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep an empty line in a specific column of a file?

Suppose i have the following data : cat file.txt 12431,123334,55353,546646,14342234,4646,35234 123123,3535,123434,132535,1234134,13535,123534 123213,545465,23434,45646,2342345,4656,31243 2355425,2134324,53425,342,35235,23434,234535 3423424,234234,65465,,2344,35436,234524,234... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ravi Tej
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Commenting a line matched with a specific string in a file

Hi, I would like to comment a line that matched a string "sreenivas" in a file without opening it. Thanks in advance. Regards, Sreenivas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: raosr020
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep pattern after specific line number in a file

Hi guys, I am running a while loop in a script ro read a file line by line. Now I want to run a grep only on the lines below the line I am that is being read by the while loop. Eg: If my while loop is on line 4 of the file, the grep only runs below line 4 and does not include line 1,2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
PASTE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  PASTE(1)

NAME
paste - paste multiple files together SYNOPSIS
paste [-s] [-d list] file... OPTIONS
-d Set delimiter used to separate columns to list. -s Print files sequentially, file k on line k. EXAMPLES
paste file1 file2 # Print file1 in col 1, file2 in col 2 paste -s f1 f2 # Print f1 on line 1 and f2 on line 2 paste -d : file1 file2 # Print the lines separated by a colon DESCRIPTION
Paste concatenates corresponding lines of the given input files and writes them to standard output. The lines of the different files are separated by the delimiters given with the option -s. If no list is given, a tab is substituted for every linefeed, except the last one. If end-of-file is hit on an input file, subsequent lines are empty. Suppose a set of k files each has one word per line. Then the paste output will have k columns, with the contents of file j in column j. If the -s flag is given, then the first file is on line 1, the second file on line 2, etc. In effect, -s turns the output sideways. If a list of delimiters is given, they are used in turn. The C escape sequences , , \, and are used for linefeed, tab, backslash, and the null string, respectively. PASTE(1)