Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Source port on AIX for NAS is same? Post 303021728 by MichaelFelt on Wednesday 15th of August 2018 01:47:16 PM
Old 08-15-2018
I know this is an old discussion - but your problem is, imho, self-inflicted.

Code:
michael@x071:[/home/michael]nfso -h nfs_use_reserved_ports
Purpose:
Specifies using nonreserved IP port number.
Values:
        Default: 0
        Range: 0 - 1
        Type: Dynamic
        Unit: On/Off
Tuning:
Value of 0 will use nonreserved IP port number when the NFS client communicates with the NFS server.

The default is zero (0)
Code:
michael@x071:[/home/michael]nfso -o nfs_use_reserved_ports
nfs_use_reserved_ports = 0

In the early 1980's there was this idea that port numbers less than 1024 could be "trusted" because only the super-user (aka root) could access them. This trust has been misplaced since the late 1980's as too many processes can access this so-called trusted ports. Why trust NFS (on port 2049)? It is well above 1024. Why it that number above 2049 trust-worthy and not other numbers.

In short, "trusted ports" exist in that it is still specified that a kernel privilege is needed to "open" aka request a connection from/to any other port.

If someone, even from your local security, says they MUST be 1023 and smaller - of course you can comply - BUT they are causing another security concept to become breached - availability. Not enough ports means no connectivity.

In short, port numbers - there is no added trust because a specific port number is being used. There might be a technical reason (e.g., firewall rules) to stay in a particular range - but the port number itself neither adds nor subtracts from the application security.

My 4 cents - hope it gets you decent coffee Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

How to open a port in AIX

Hi Guys, i am trying to open a port in AIX. but i am not able to get the command for this. AIX is not having the iptables file present. So please any body can tell me how to open a port in AIX... Thanks sanju (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanju_d1231
2 Replies

2. Programming

Source code for serial port

Hi, I am working with sun Solaris 5.9 and in my application,I have to communicate with Serial port(i.e /dev/term/a). So I need source code to by which I can do the following things-- 1)check the port is available or not.If it dosn't find the port,it should throw the error message(i.e. port not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to port a package to huge source code having its own make and compilers

In general for intalling a package like we do ./configure, make , make install But if we want to integrate the package with a huge source base what are the things to be taken care could some one have a light on purpose of ./configure , make and make install along with above question. I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopi Krishna P
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIX(VIO/LPAR) with Free NAS ISCSI solution

Hi, I was looking on Google for AIX-VIO/LPAR with ISCSI solution and found following really nice tutorial about how to setup ISCSI with free NAS. 1) Build Your Own Open Source NAS Device Using FreeNAS | Train Signal Training - Free Computer Training Videos 2) Build Your Own Open Source... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kabir
4 Replies

5. AIX

Compiling samba from source in AIX 5.3

Hello all. I have never had any issues like this when compiling applications from source. When I try to compile samba-3.5.0pre2, configure runs with no issues, but when the time comes to make, this happens: make: make 1254-025 There must be an existing description file or specify a target. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
4 Replies

6. AIX

Who's using my port in AIX

Hello Gurus, I was trying to find who's using my port and got below answer from a IBM website. But the problem with the below answer is I need a root to run the rmsock, is there any other alternative to find out who is using my port with out a root access?? 1. netstat -Aan | grep <port... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tenderfoot
1 Replies

7. Programming

Changing source port number of a TCP client packet

Hi all, I need to change the source port number of an outgoing TCP packet. First I have to bind the socket to a particular port(suppose 9001) but when I send the TCP packet I want to change the source port number lets say to 9002 still letting the socket to be bound to the same old port (9001).... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragrai134
0 Replies

8. AIX

XVFB Source package for AIX

Please send me link for XVFB Source package for AIX (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathap.g
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to release port on AIX?

Hello all, I need your help with any command to release a port on AIX. Thanks for all. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mcipamo
5 Replies
nfs_portmon(5)							File Formats Manual						    nfs_portmon(5)

NAME
nfs_portmon - enable/disable the NFS server's source port verification check VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values DESCRIPTION
controls some security checking that the NFS server can do in an attempt to enforce integrity on the part of its clients. The NFS server can check to see whether the source port from which a request was sent is a reserved port; a reserved port is a port whose port number is less then 1024. For BSD-based systems, these ports are reserved for processes being run by privileged users. This checking helps prevent users from writing their own RPC-based applications which defeat the access checking that the NFS server uses. Who Is Expected to Change This Tunable? The distributed file system administrator should examine the value of this parameter if he or she wishes to prevent malicious users from gaining access to files by using an NFS server they would not ordinarily be able to access. Restrictions on Changing The tunable is dynamic; any change will take effect immediately on the running system. The reserved port notion is not universally supported. Therefore, interoperability problems might result if this checking is enabled. What Are the Side Effects of Enabling This Check? Some NFS clients may not be able to connect to the NFS server. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by Sun Microsystems, Inc. SEE ALSO
kctune(1M), sam(1M), gettune(2), settune(2). Tunable Kernel Parameters nfs_portmon(5)