Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the average of lines with the same first 4 letters Post 303021722 by kenshinhimura on Wednesday 15th of August 2018 01:00:04 PM
Old 08-15-2018
Code:
awk '
function print_total() {
        printf("\nTotal Sum of %s site is: %d Mbps\n ", last, total)
}
function print_average() {
        printf("\nTotal Sum of %s site is: %d Mbps\n ", last, average)
}

last != substr($1, 1, 7) {
        if(NR > 1) {
                print_total()
                printf("\n=======================\n")
        }
        last = substr($1, 1, 7)
        total = 0
        average = 0
}
{       print
        total += $2
        average total/NR
}
END {   print_total()
        print_average()
}' hhhh > datarate.log
cat datarate.log

trying different combination but to no avail. Thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

transposing letters

Hi, I've written a shell function in bash that reads letters into an array, then outputs them in one column with: for n in "${array}"; do echo $n done I was wondering if anyone knew how i would transpose the letters that are output by the for loop. Right now my output is: aabbcc... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: myscsa2004
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to delete lines that start with letters

Hi, I need to remove all lines from a file that do not start with numbers For instance, if the first three characters on any line are not numbers, delete those lines I've tried to do it with awk and it's not working, any ideas ? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sfisk
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Add letters

I want to add letters A,B,C,… in front of every line of input while printing them out using PERL. eg A file is parsed as a cmd line arg and its context will be displayed as A line1... B line 2.. I tried this..but I want better and perfect solution! !perl -p my $counter; BEGIN { $counter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadi_uni
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

print running field average for a set of lines

Hi everyone, I have a program that generates logs that contains sections like this: IMAGE INPUT 81 0 0.995 2449470 0 1726 368 1 0.0635 0.3291 82 0 1.001 2448013 0 1666 365 1 0.0649 0.3235 83 0 1.009 2444822 0 1697 371 1 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: euval
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl- Finding average "frequency" of occurrence of duplicate lines

Hello, I am working with a perl script that tries to find the average "frequency" in which lines are duplicated. So far I've only managed to find the way to count how many times the lines are repeated, the code is as follows: perl -ae' my $filename= $ENV{'i'}; open (FILE, "$filename") or... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: acsg
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to add lines of a file and average them

I'm reading in numbers from a file and trying to add them together. Here is the code so far. I know the 1+2+3.... part is wrong. The file has five numbers in it with each number on its own line. The numbers are decimals if that matters. Thanks. while read EachLine do echo $EachLine done <... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: AxlVanDamme
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Randomize letters

Hi, Is there a tool somewhat parallel to rev, but which randomizes instead of reverses? I've tried rl, but I can only get it to randomize words. I was hoping for something like this echo "hello" | ran leolh less simpler solutions are also welcome. Sorry if the question is... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeppe83
21 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine identical lines and average the one variable field

I have the following file 299899 chrX_299716_300082 196 78.2903 299991 chrX_299982_300000 18.2538 Tajd:0.745591 FayWu:-0.245701 T2:1.45 299899 chrX_299716_300082 196 78.2903 299991 chrX_299982_300000 18.2538 Tajd:0.745591 FayWu:-0.245701 T2:0.283 311027 chrX_310892_311162 300 91.6452... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfern
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Random letters

Hi there, first of all this is not homework...this is a new type of exercise for practicing vocabulary with my students. I have a file consisting of two columns, separated by a tab, each line consisting of a word and its definition, separated by a line break. What i need is to replace a... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: eldeingles
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk to average matching lines in file

The awk below executes and is close (producing the first 4 columns in desired). However, when I add the sum of $7, I get nothing returned. Basically, I am trying to combine all the matching $4 in f1 and output them with the average of $7 in each match. Thank you :). f1 ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
sa(8)							      System Manager's Manual							     sa(8)

Name
       sa, accton - print process accounting statistics

Syntax
       /etc/sa [ options ] [ file ]

/etc/accton [ file ]

Arguments
       file    With  an  argument naming an existing file, causes system accounting information for every process executed to be placed at the end
	       of the file.  If no argument is given, accounting is turned off.

Description
       The command reports on, cleans up, and generally maintains accounting files.

The is able to condense the information in into a summary file which contains a count of the number of times each command  was  called  and
       the time resources consumed.  This condensation is desirable because on a large system can grow by 100 blocks per day.  The summary file is
       normally read before the accounting file, so the reports include all available information.

If a file name is given as the last argument, that file will be treated as the accounting file.	The file is the default.

Output fields are labeled: "cpu" for the sum of user+system time (in cpu seconds), "re" for real time (also in cpu seconds), "k"  for  cpu-
       time  averaged  core usage (in 1k units), "avio" for average number of I/O operations per execution.  With options fields labeled "tio" for
       total I/O operations, "k*sec" for cpu storage integral (kilo-core seconds), "u" and "s" for user and system cpu time  alone  (both  in  cpu
       seconds) will sometimes appear.

Options
       -a      List  all  command names including those containing unprintable characters and those used only once. By default, places all command
	       names containing unprintable characters and those used only once under the name `***other.'

-b      Sort output by sum of user and system time divided by number of calls.  Default sort is by sum of user and system times.

-c      Besides total user, system, and real time for each command, print percentage of total time over all commands.

-d      Sort by average number of disk I/O operations.

-D      Print and sort by total number of disk I/O operations.

-f      Force no interactive threshold compression with option.

-i      Do not read in summary file.

-j      Instead of total minutes for each category, give seconds per call.

-k      Sort by cpu-time average memory usage.

-K      Print and sort by cpu-storage integral.

-l      Separate system and user time; normally they are combined.

-m      Print number of processes and number of CPU minutes for each user.

-n      Sort by number of calls.

-r      Reverse order of sort.

-s      Merge accounting file into summary file when done.

-t      For each command, report ratio of real time to the sum of user and system times.  If the sum of user and system times is too  small
	       to report, `*ignore*' appears in this field.

-u      Superseding all other flags, print for each command in the accounting file the user ID and command name.

-v      Followed  by  a number n, types the name of each command used n times or fewer.	Await a reply from the terminal; if it begins with
	       `y', add the command to the category `**junk**.' This is used to strip out garbage.

Restrictions
       Accounting is suspended when there is less than 2% free space on disk.  Accounting resumes when free space rises above 4%.

Files
       Raw accounting

Summary

Per-user summary

See Also
       acct(2), ac(8)

sa(8)