Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep a log file starting from a specific time to the end of file Post 303021654 by stomp on Tuesday 14th of August 2018 07:18:27 AM
Old 08-14-2018
Since you did not specify your environment, I assume Linux/Bash.

You may convert the timestamp to epoch(= time in seconds since 1.1.1970) and print only the lines where the value is higher:

Code:
start_date="July 29 2018 21:00:00"

start_seconds="$(date +"%s" --date="$start_date")"
while read month day year time rest;do 

current_line_seconds=$(date +"%s" --date="$month $day $year $time")
   [ $current_line_seconds -gt $start_seconds ] && \
       echo "$month $day $year $time $rest"; 
done <your_data_file.txt

Performance of this solution is only suited for small file sizes since one process is spawned for every line.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print starting 3rd line until end of the file.

Hi, I want to Print starting 3rd line until end of the file. Pls let me know the command. Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smc3
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep from a starting line till the end of the file

Hi Folks, I got to know from this forums on how to grep from a particular line say line 6 awk 'NR==6 {print;exit}' But how do i grep from line 6 till the end of the file or command output. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr. Zer0
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep starting from a specific position

Hello people, I'm scratch my head to find a solution to my problem, I'm absolutely sure this is very simple!!! :wall: I'm using the tcpdump to show on the screen in real time the UCP traffic: tcpdump -l -i bond1 -s 1514 -nntttt -A src or dst 192.168.1.5 and port 10000 | egrep "/51/"The output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lord Spectre
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the Content of a LOG File which has latest Date and Time

Hi All, Need a small help. I have a log file which keeps updating for every Minute with multiple number of lines. I just want to grep few properties which has latest Date and Time to it. How do i do it? I wanted to grep a property by name "Reloading cache with a maximum of" from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvindraneel
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need to grep contents of a file within specific time span. regex i am using is not working

Hi , I am trying to extract contents of a file between specified time stamp. but it does not seem to work. i am trying to extract output of /var/adm/messages between 15:00:00 to 15:23:59 . i have tried two regex the first one seems to kind of work. it displays some output. the second one is... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep in a log file within a time range (hour)

Hi, im trying to write a grep script that returns me the last inputs added in the last hour in the log file. Literally i have nothing yet but: grep 'Line im looking for' LOGFILE.log | tail -1 this only gives me the last input, but no necessarily from the last hour. Help Please. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: blacksteel1988
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add strings from one file at the end of specific lines in text file

Hello All, this is my first post so I don't know if I am doing this right. I would like to append entries from a series of strings (contained in a text file) consecutively at the end of specifically labeled lines in another file. As an example: - the file that contains the values to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gus74
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for logs traced between specific date and time from log file

HI, I want to search for a logs which are trace between specific date and time from logs file. My logs are generated like this :- Tue Jun 18 05:00:02 EEST 2013 | file_check.sh| Message:script has files to process. Thu Jun 20 05:00:02 EEST 2013 | file_check.sh| Message:script has files to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketanraut
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific line in an html file starting and ending with specific pattern to a text file

Hi This is my first post and I'm just a beginner. So please be nice to me. I have a couple of html files where a pattern beginning with "http://www.site.com" and ending with "/resource.dat" is present on every 241st line. How do I extract this to a new text file? I have tried sed -n 241,241p... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: dejavo
13 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)

SYNOPSIS
SVK::Log::Filter::Grep - search log messages for a given pattern DESCRIPTION
The Grep filter requires a single Perl pattern (regular expression) as its argument. The pattern is then applied to the svn:log property of each revision it receives. If the pattern matches, the revision is allowed to continue down the pipeline. If the pattern fails to match, the pipeline immediately skips to the next revision. The pattern is applied with the /i modifier (case insensitivity). If you want case-sensitivity or other modifications to the behavior of your pattern, you must use the "(?imsx-imsx)" extended pattern (see "perldoc perlre" for details). For example, to search for log messages that match exactly the characters "foo" you might use svk log --filter "grep (?-i)foo" However, to search for "foo" without regards for case, one might try svk log --filter "grep foo" The result of any capturing parentheses inside the pattern are not available. If demand dictates, the Grep filter could be modified to place the captured value somewhere in the stash for other filters to access. If the pattern contains a pipe character ('|'), it must be escaped by preceding it with a '' character. Otherwise, the portion of the pattern after the pipe character is interpreted as the name of a log filter. STASH
/PROPERTY MODIFICATIONS Grep leaves all properties and the stash intact. perl v5.10.0 2008-08-04 SVK::Log::Filter::Grep(3)