Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: $LINENO no show
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting $LINENO no show Post 303021603 by Don Cragun on Monday 13th of August 2018 08:56:04 AM
Old 08-13-2018
This isn't just bash... It was in ksh before 1988, and the latest POSIX standard says the following about the LINENO variable:
Quote:
Set by the shell to a decimal number representing the current sequential line number (numbered starting with 1) within a script or function before it executes each command. If the user unsets or resets LINENO, the variable may lose its special meaning for the life of the shell. If the shell is not currently executing a script or function, the value of LINENO is unspecified. ...
So, I guess we should also ask for the output from the command:
Code:
grep LINENO script_pathname

hoping to verify that the script doesn't assign any value to LINENO and doesn't use unset with LINENO as an operand.
This User Gave Thanks to Don Cragun For This Post:

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Show us your Desktop

I don't see any threads like this and I know that a bunch of people have really cool desktops, so I`ll start. rules 1 no images in your post,attachments only 2 no default desktops, tha would be very much a waste (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Genral
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Show path name

Hello I'm new to this forum. So please spare me! I'm using SCO UnixWare 7.1.4 and created a few accounts. So far so good. When I login I see: $. But here I want to see (for example), /home 25$ So I want to see the pathname where I am without each time typing pwd (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.vvugt
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls how to not show date

Hello, I'm using ls -laR to print out a list of file and folders. I want to print only the permission, file size and file name. Also, excluding the '.' and '..'. result from ls -laR: total 6 drwxr-xr-x 8 user staff 512 Nov 28 16:17 . drwxr-x--- 16 user staff 1024... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: minifish
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display LineNo Incase Total Number Of Delimiter Does matches in a given variable

I have many files .dat extension. requirement is to display line no if no of delimiter does not matches in a given variable lets say File: REF_BETOS.dat HCPCS_OR_CPT_CODE~BETOS_CODE~TERMINATION_DATE 0001F~Z2~ 0003T~I4~B20061231 0005F~Z2~~~ 0008T~P8~B20061231... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ainuddin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to show the type of my terminal?

How to show the type of my terminal? Thanks in advance! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
1 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Show all my Posts?

Hello, Is there a way to display all of the posts I have authored? Many thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dlundwall
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Show help

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Display the contents of all files ending in a number to the screen 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcincan
2 Replies
exit(1) 							   User Commands							   exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)