Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Get the output of w command in pipe delimited format Post 303021561 by jim mcnamara on Sunday 12th of August 2018 07:42:12 PM
Old 08-12-2018
I tried it before I posted it no errors.

Assuming you want help:
Please post your current input from w as a sample, and then your expected output.

We also need to know the kind of UNIX because Solaris awk should be nawk instead, for an example of why we need this information.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append output in tab delimited format

hello.. i m scripting in Perl and having issue writing the output in specific format..i read two files and run some commands and write output to one file. i want this to be a 2d table, File one has 48 rows and file two has 48 rows, first i take one id from file one, and go to second file, loop... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: empyrean
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux - Script to generate the output delimited by Comma/Pipe

Hi All, I have a requirement where I need to go to a directory, list all the files that start with person* (for eg) & read the most recent file from the list of files. While browsing through the forum, i found that the command ls -t will list the files. I am trying to generate the output... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with converting Pipe delimited file to Tab Delimited

I have a file which was pipe delimited, I need to make it tab delimited. I tried with sed but no use cat file | sed 's/|//t/g' The above command substituted "/t" not tab in the place of pipe. Sample file: abc|123|2012-01-30|2012-04-28|xyz have to convert to: abc 123... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending a command to print a file in a comma delimited format

Hi everyone, i have a file that I had grep'd from something else lets call it file1.txt which consists variable files and lines due to different scenarios/inputs 1782 9182 fe35 ac67 how can I print this in this manner? 1782,9182,fe35,ac67 also if i had piped the new output... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigy06
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pipe delimited output

Hi All, i have the following command df|awk '{print $5}'|grep /| egrep -v '^/$|/usr|/opt|/var/log|/home|/tmp' output looks like: /filesystem/number1 /filesystem/number2 /filesystem3 /possiblymoreoutput i want the output to look like the below (either in a file or to output to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep:pipe delimited output

Hi, I am trying to search for a string in a file and print all the matched lines as pipe delimited format. My command is cat m_gid_trans.XML|grep -i '<TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"' The output I am getting is <TABLEATTRIBUTE NAME ="Lookup cache directory name"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sampoorna
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to ignore Pipe in Pipe delimited file?

Hi guys, I need to know how i can ignore Pipe '|' if Pipe is coming as a column in Pipe delimited file for eg: file 1: xx|yy|"xyz|zzz"|zzz|12... using below awk command awk 'BEGIN {FS=OFS="|" } print $3 i would get xyz But i want as : xyz|zzz to consider as whole column... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit_shinez
13 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need to convert a pipe delimited text file to tab delimited

Hi, I have a rquirement in unix as below . I have a text file with me seperated by | symbol and i need to generate a excel file through unix commands/script so that each value will go to each column. ex: Input Text file: 1|A|apple 2|B|bottle excel file to be generated as output as... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: raja kakitapall
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX/PERL script to convert XML file to pipe delimited format

Hello, I need to get few values from a XML file and output needs to be written in another file with pipe delimited format. The Header & Footer of the Pipe Delimited file will be constant. The below is my sample XML file. I need to pull the values in between the XML tags <Operator_info to... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: karthi1305561
15 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk command to split pipe delimited file

Hello, I need to split a pipe de-limited file based on the COLUMN 7 value . If the column value changes I need to split the file Source File Payment|ID|DATE|TIME|CONTROLNUMBER|NUMBER|NAME|INDICATOR 42156974|1137937|10/1/2018|104440|4232|2054391|CARE|1... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: rosebud123
9 Replies
el(1)							      General Commands Manual							     el(1)

NAME
el -- program to make a tuned shell-command for Oneliner SYNOPSIS
el [-acdfhioxV] [--command cmd] [--args n] [--format fmt] [--execute] [--inpipe buf] [--outpipe buf] [--serial] [--help] [--ver- sion] [--debug] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the el command. This manual page was written for the Debian distribution because the original program does not have a manual page. Instead, it has docu- mentation in the GNU Info format; see below. el is a program that You can make a tuned shell-command for Oneliner with. This command can send S-exp to Emacs, and this can make Emacs evaluate it, too. In other words, you can execute Emacs's function from shell-commands. And you can make Emacs work in closer cooperation with your favorite shell-commands. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. For a complete description, see the Info files. -c cmd --command cmd cmd means a function of Elisp. Command line arguments and data from stdin means arguments of cmd. If you specify the only -c switch, el output one S-exp by one line of stdin. --a n --args n Specifies the maximum number of arguments of a Elisp function with -c switch. -f fmt --format fmt Allows you to use format string of printf for making a S-exp. -x --execute Requests to Oneliner to evaluate the S-exp to use *Oneliner auto-eval* buffer. -i buf --inpipe buf Gets input from pipe-buffer. You can specify a number of pipe-buffer, too. -o buf --outpipe buf Puts output to pipe-buffer. You can specify a number of pipe-buffer, too. -s --serial Makes el to serialize multiple lines to one line. -h --help Display help message. -V --version Display version identifiers. -d --debug Enable debugging state. SEE ALSO
The programs are documented fully by Oneliner(Shell-mode hooks for Oneliners) available via the Info system. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by OHURA Makoto <ohura@debian.org> for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. el(1)