Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Exit always returns 0
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Exit always returns 0 Post 303021505 by RudiC on Saturday 11th of August 2018 11:14:58 AM
Old 08-11-2018
I can't find an exit in your code snippet. Assuming you run through the entire code, and leave it with the last line shown, it's obvious it returns 0 as the last echo succeeds.

If you ask yourself why your finds always output a success, look at the RETVAL variable: it's set by the exit code of an obscure command run before the entry into your code snippet.
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Where can I find a list of exit codes? (Exit code 64)

I'm receiving an exit code 64 in our batch scheduler (BMC product control-m) executing a PERL script on UX-HP. Can you tell me where I can find a list of exit codes and their meaning. I'm assuming the exit code is from the Unix operating system not PERL. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jkuchar747
3 Replies

2. Programming

exit(0) versus exit(1)

What is the difference between using exit(0) and exit(1) to exit a program? Which should I use? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: enuenu
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what is meaning of exit(0) and exit(1)

can u tell me what is the meaning of exit(0),exit(1),exit(2) what is diff amonng these. Amit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amitpansuria
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep without returns...

Is there a command where I can pipe my grep into it and it will output it with spaces rather than returns? Example I want to turn prompt$ grep blah file blah blah into this prompt$ grep blah file | someCommand blah blah (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep returns nothing

Hi all, I am trying to grep a .txt file for a word. When I hit enter, it returns back to $ The file is 4155402 in size and is named in this way: *_eveningtimes_done_log.txt I use this command, being in the same directory as the file: grep -i "invalid" *_eveningtimes_done_log.txt ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: DallasT
16 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation returns no value

#/bin/sh ..... #convert memory to MB let "mmsize_a= ($mmsize)/256" let "mminuse_a= ($mminuse)/256" let "mmfree_a= ($mmsize_a -$mminuse_a)" let "mmfreepercent= (($mmfree_a)/($mmsize_a))*100" # #format output echo "\n\n######################" >>$sndFile echo "\n$sysName Total Memory usage"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Functions and Value returns

mon_yy=${1} date_found=`find_end_day $mon_yy` export_dealer_changes ${date_found} Hello I am trying to pull a formatted date back from the function find_end_day and pass it into the function export_dealer_changes. When I try the above the variable date_found is empty. I have tried various... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treemyf
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need the difference between exit 1 & exit 7

Hi In one of the script I am seeing some thing like exit 7,exit 1,exit 2,exit 3,exit 9,exit6.What is the difference between all of this exit.Can anyone help here please (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ginrkf
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in function returns value

Hi, I need to return a value from the function. the value will be the output from cat command which uses random fucntion. #!/bin/ksh hello() { var1=$(`cat /dev/urandom| tr -dc 'a-zA-Z0-9-!%&()*+,-/:;<=>?_'|fold -w 10 | head -n 1`) echo "value is" var1 return var1 } hello var=$?... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
2 Replies
Test::Synopsis(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Test::Synopsis(3pm)

NAME
Test::Synopsis - Test your SYNOPSIS code SYNOPSIS
# xt/synopsis.t (with Module::Install::AuthorTests) use Test::Synopsis; all_synopsis_ok(); # Or, run safe without Test::Synopsis use Test::More; eval "use Test::Synopsis"; plan skip_all => "Test::Synopsis required for testing" if $@; all_synopsis_ok(); DESCRIPTION
Test::Synopsis is an (author) test module to find .pm or .pod files under your lib directory and then make sure the example snippet code in your SYNOPSIS section passes the perl compile check. Note that this module only checks the perl syntax (by wrapping the code with "sub") and doesn't actually run the code. Suppose you have the following POD in your module. =head1 NAME Awesome::Template - My awesome template =head1 SYNOPSIS use Awesome::Template; my $template = Awesome::Template->new; $tempalte->render("template.at"); =head1 DESCRIPTION An user of your module would try copy-paste this synopsis code and find that this code doesn't compile because there's a typo in your variable name $tempalte. Test::Synopsis will catch that error before you ship it. VARIABLE DECLARATIONS
Sometimes you might want to put some undeclared variables in your synopsis, like: =head1 SYNOPSIS use Data::Dumper::Names; print Dumper($scalar, @array, \%hash); This assumes these variables like $scalar are defined elsewhere in module user's code, but Test::Synopsis, by default, will complain that these variables are not declared: Global symbol "$scalar" requires explicit package name at ... In this case, you can add the following POD sequence elsewhere in your POD: =for test_synopsis no strict 'vars' Or more explicitly, =for test_synopsis my($scalar, @array, %hash); Test::Synopsis will find these "=for" blocks and these statements are prepended before your SYNOPSIS code when being evaluated, so those variable name errors will go away, without adding unnecessary bits in SYNOPSIS which might confuse users. AUTHOR
Tatsuhiko Miyagawa <miyagawa@bulknews.net> Goro Fuji blogged about the original idea at <http://d.hatena.ne.jp/gfx/20090224/1235449381> based on the testing code taken from Test::Weaken. LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. SEE ALSO
Test::Pod, Test::UseAllModules, Test::Inline, Test::Snippet perl v5.10.1 2009-07-06 Test::Synopsis(3pm)