Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Non root user access to /dev/mem Post 303021413 by Neo on Thursday 9th of August 2018 05:53:26 AM
Old 08-09-2018
The instructions are pretty clear in that doc you added:

Quote:
Before running Perceptive Content Server as a non-root user on a shadowed system, you need to configure Role Based Access Control (RBAC) or an Access Control List (ACL).

If your Linux distributor offers RBAC as a supported package or embeds it into the Linux Kernel, you can use the configuration options detailed in the following sections of this document. Otherwise, to achieve rootless authentication, you need to download a third party RBAC kernel module from a trusted source.

Verify that the RBAC kernel provides the roles necessary to read your shadowed passwd file, and can provide read access to /dev/mem. While you can grant ACL read privileges to /etc/shadow, a kernel module/patch is required to grant read privileges to /dev/mem and cannot be granted with ACL privileges alone.

If you are unable to locate a trustable source or you are concerned about security issues with downloading a third party RBAC kernel module, you can use the built in security features of Perceptive

Content to release root privileges and run as another user after server initialization. To use these built insecurity features, you need to configure daemons to run on a non-root user account.
Did you verify your Linux kernel has been built to permit RBAC per the instructions?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

user commands without root access

Hi I have been asked to find out how to 1) create users 2) reset passwords 3) kill processes that may require root privileges without having root password, sudo rights or rights to passwd command Any ideas? Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emealogistics
1 Replies

2. Programming

/dev/mem on Dell Poweredge

Hi, I have a C++ program to access /dev/mem and retrieve details like Vendor, Manufacturer details of the motherboard. This works fine on all the machines except for on Dell Poweredge 2850,1950... machines. I receive a 'EFAULT' when I try to access /dev/mem on these servers. I suspect some... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ragisreekanth
1 Replies

3. Solaris

I can not access root user through LAN

Dear i have installed Solaris 10 on SUN V240 after installation i can not access system through root user if i access system through any other user it conects but root is not connecting through LAN if i connect through SC and then access root though cosole -f command it also works kindly... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rizwan225
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

access user history as root

Hi, I need to access a user's command history. However, the dilemma is that he is logged in and so his current history is not yet flushed to .bash_history file which gets flushed when he logs out. Is there a way I can still access his most recent history? thank you, S (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sardare
4 Replies

5. Solaris

Non-root user access to privileged ports-Solaris 8

Please let me know how to setup a non-root user to be able to access a privileged port (<1024) on Solaris 8. I am currently running tomcat as "tomcat" user and I get the following error during to start up: SEVERE: Error initializing endpoint java.net.BindException: Permission denied<null>:443 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingmeback
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to allow access to some commands having root privleges to be run bu non root user

hi i am new to unix and i have abig task. i have to \run particular commands having root privileges from a non root user. i know sudo is one of the way but i need sum other approach kindly help Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryashikha
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to give root access to non root user?

Currently in my system Red Hat is installed. And Many user connect to my machine via SSH Techia Terminal. I want to give some users a root level access. Can anyone please help me how to make it possible. I too searched on the Google but didn't find the correct way Regards ADI (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

One user to su to another without allowing root access and password

Hello Gurus, I want One user to su to another without allowing root access and password. I want to run a specific command as below from user am663: --------------------------------------------------------- sudo -u appsprj4 /home/appsrj4/scripts/start_apache.sh ------------------- But... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pokhraj_d
6 Replies

9. Solaris

Sudo access of rm to non-root user

Hello, It is Solaris-10. There is a file as /opt/vpp/dom1.2/pdd/today_23. It is always generated by root, so owned by root only. This file has to be deleted as part of application restart always and that is done by app_user and SA is always involved to do rm on that file. Is it possible to give... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
9 Replies

10. AIX

Best practices for sugroups for root ? backdoor user access ?

greetings, just ran across a fun situation we had overlooked. We have a backdoor user, no special privileges, which we put on every server so that anyone in the shop can get in (passwd in vault) if they need to, even if they don't have a local account on that server. The point of course is to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maraixadm
3 Replies
rbac(5) 						Standards, Environments, and Macros						   rbac(5)

NAME
rbac - role-based access control DESCRIPTION
The addition of role-based access control (RBAC) to the Solaris operating environment gives developers the opportunity to deliver fine- grained security in new and modified applications. RBAC is an alternative to the all-or-nothing security model of traditional superuser- based systems. With RBAC, an administrator can assign privileged functions to specific user accounts (or special accounts called roles). There are two ways to give applications privileges: 1. Administrators can assign special attributes such as setUID to application binaries (executable files). 2. Administrators can assign special attributes such as setUID to applications using execution profiles. Special attribute assignment along with the theory behind RBAC is discussed in detail in "Role Based Access Control" chapter of the System Administration Guide: Security Services. This chapter describes what authorizations are and how to code for them. Authorizations An authorization is a unique string that represents a user's right to perform some operation or class of operations. Authorization defini- tions are stored in a database called auth_attr(4). For programming authorization checks, only the authorization name is significant. Some typical values in an auth_attr database are shown below. solaris.jobs.:::Cron and At Jobs::help=JobHeader.html solaris.jobs.grant:::Delegate Cron & At Administration::help=JobsGrant.html solaris.jobs.admin:::Manage All Jobs::help=AuthJobsAdmin.html solaris.jobs.user:::Cron & At User::help=JobsUser.html Authorization name strings ending with the grant suffix are special authorizations that give a user the ability to delegate authorizations with the same prefix and functional area to other users. Creating Authorization Checks To check authorizations, use the chkauthattr(3SECDB) library function, which verifies whether or not a user has a given authorization. The synopsis is: int chkauthattr(const char *authname, const char *username); The chkauthattr() function checks the policy.conf(4), user_attr(4), and prof_attr(4) databases in order for a match to the given authoriza- tion. If you are modifying existing code that tests for root UID, you should find the test in the code and replace it with the chkauthattr() function. A typical root UID check is shown in the first code segment below. An authorization check replacing it is shown in the second code segment; it uses the solaris.jobs.admin authorization and a variable called real_login representing the user. Example 1: Standard root check ruid = getuid(); if ((eflag || lflag || rflag) && argc == 1) { if ((pwp = getpwnam(*argv)) == NULL) crabort(INVALIDUSER); if (ruid != 0) { if (pwp->pw_uid != ruid) crabort(NOTROOT); else pp = getuser(ruid); } else pp = *argv++; } else { Example 2: Authorization check ruid = getuid(); if ((pwp = getpwuid(ruid)) == NULL) crabort(INVALIDUSER); strcpy(real_login, pwp->pw_name); if ((eflag || lflag || rflag) && argc == 1) { if ((pwp = getpwnam(*argv)) == NULL) crabort(INVALIDUSER); if (!chkauthattr("solaris.jobs.admin", real_login)) { if (pwp->pw_uid != ruid) crabort(NOTROOT); else pp = getuser(ruid); } else pp = *argv++; } else { For new applications, find an appropriate location for the test and use chkauthattr() as shown above. Typically the authorization check makes an access decision based on the identity of the calling user to determine if a privileged action (for example, a system call) should be taken on behalf of that user. Applications that perform a test to restrict who can perform their security-relevant functionality are generally setuid to root. Programs that were written prior to RBAC and that are only available to the root user may not have such checks. In most cases, the kernel requires an effective user ID of root to override policy enforcement. Therefore, authorization checking is most useful in programs that are setuid to root. For instance, if you want to write a program that allows authorized users to set the system date, the command must be run with an effective user ID of root. Typically, this means that the file modes for the file would be -rwsr-xr-x with root ownership. Use caution, though, when making programs setuid to root. For example, the effective UID should be set to the real UID as early as possible in the program's initialization function. The effective UID can then be set back to root after the authorization check is performed and before the system call is made. On return from the system call, the effective UID should be set back to the real UID again to adhere to the principle of least privilege. Another consideration is that LD_LIBRARY path is ignored for setuid programs (see SECURITY section in ld.so.1(1)) and that shell scripts must be modified to work properly when the effective and real UIDs are different. For example, the -p flag in Bourne shell is required to avoid resetting the effective UID back to the real UID. Using an effective UID of root instead of the real UID requires extra care when writing shell scripts. For example, many shell scripts check to see if the user is root before executing their functionality. With RBAC, these shell scripts may be running with the effective UID of root and with a real UID of a user or role. Thus, the shell script should check euid instead of uid. For example, WHO=`id | cut -f1 -d" "` if [ ! "$WHO" = "uid=0(root)" ] then echo "$PROG: ERROR: you must be super-user to run this script." exit 1 fi should be changed to WHO=`/usr/xpg4/bin/id -n -u` if [ ! "$WHO" = "root" ] then echo "$PROG: ERROR: you are not authorized to run this script." exit 1 fi Authorizations can be explicitly checked in shell scripts by checking the output of the auths(1) utility. For example, for auth in `auths | tr , " "` NOTFOUND do [ "$auth" = "solaris.date" ] && break # authorization found done if [ "$auth" != "solaris.date" ] then echo >&2 "$PROG: ERROR: you are not authorized to set the date" exit 1 fi SEE ALSO
ld.so.1(1), chkauthattr(3SECDB), auth_attr(4), policy.conf(4), prof_attr(4), user_attr(4) System Administration Guide: Security Services SunOS 5.10 15 Jul 2003 rbac(5)