Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count specific character of a file in each line and delete this character in a specific position Post 303021358 by vgersh99 on Wednesday 8th of August 2018 12:17:32 PM
Old 08-08-2018
Not quite sure about ii) requirement. You want to delete the whole line? You want to truncate the line to contain only 61 fields (I-separated)? Something else?
Could you provide another representative sample of say 10 fields requirement (instead of 61) and provide a desired output?
Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

count occurences of specific character in the file

For counting the occurences of specific character in the file I am issuing the command grep -o 'character' filename | wc -w It works in other shells but not in HP-UX as there is no option -o for grep. What do I do now? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: superprogrammer
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count specific character(s) very large file

I'm trying to count the number of 2 specific characters in a very large file. I'd like to avoid using gsub because its taking too long. I was thinking something like: awk '-F' { t += NF - 1 } END {print t}' infile > outfile which isn't working Any ideas would be great. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcfargo
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert character in a specific position of a file

Hi, I need to add Pipe (|) at 5th and 18th position of all records a file. How can I do this? I tried to add it at 5th position using the below code. It didnt work. Please help!!! awk '{substr($0,5,1) ~ /|/}{print}' $input_file > $temp_file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gpaulose
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace specific character and specific position

I am trying to use sed to replace specific characters at a specific position in the file with a different value... can this be done? Example: File: A0199999123 A0199999124 A0199999125 Need to replace 99999 in positions 3-7 with 88888. Any help is appreciated. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: programmer22
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Count specific word or character per line

Hi, I need help regarding counting specific word or character per line and validate it against a specific number i.e 10. And if number of character equals the specific number then that line will be part of the output. Specific number = 6 Specific word or char = || Sample data:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: janzper
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete line based on count of specific character

I'm looking for what I hope might be a one liner along these lines: sed '/a line with more than 3 pipes in it/d' I know how to get the pipe count in a string and store it in a variable, but I'm greedy enough to hope that it's possible via regex in the /.../d context. Am I asking too much? ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiggyboo
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete character on specific position

Hi, im still new in unix. i want to ask how to delete character on specific position in line, lets say i want to remove 5 character from position 1000, so characters from position 1000-1005 will be deleted. i found this sed command can delete 4 characters from position 10, but i dont know if... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluesue
7 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies
delch(3XCURSES) 					  X/Open Curses Library Functions					   delch(3XCURSES)

NAME
delch, mvdelch, mvwdelch, wdelch - remove a character SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -I /usr/xpg4/include -L /usr/xpg4/lib -R /usr/xpg4/lib -lcurses [ library... ] c89 [ flag... ] file... -lcurses [ library... ] #include <curses.h> int delch(void); int mvdelch(int y, int x); int mvwdelch(WINDOW *win, int y, int x); int wdelch(WINDOW *win); DESCRIPTION
The delch() and wdelch() functions delete the character at the current cursor position from stdscr and win, respectively. All remaining characters after cursor through to the end of the line are shifted one character towards the start of the line. The last character on the line becomes a space; characters on other lines are not affected. The mvdelch() and mvwdelch() functions delete the character at the position specified by the x and y parameters; the former deletes the character from stdscr; the latter from win. PARAMETERS
y Is the y (row) coordinate of the position of the character to be removed. x Is the x (column) coordinate of the position of the character to be removed. win Is a pointer to the window containing the character to be removed. RETURN VALUES
On success, these functions return OK. Otherwise, they return ERR. ERRORS
None. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
bkgdset(3XCURSES), insch(3XCURSES), libcurses(3XCURSES), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 5 Jun 2002 delch(3XCURSES)