Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash case error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash case error Post 303021165 by Don Cragun on Sunday 5th of August 2018 07:59:45 PM
Old 08-05-2018
If you are only seeing the DEBUG ERROR message box when you run do_about, it means that do_about is exiting with a non-zero exit code. The exit status of a case statement is the exit status of the last command executed in the command list for the matched pattern or zero if no pattern matched.

The text you included in post #3 in this thread (that Neo edited for you to contain CODE tags) did indeed include the shell script pseudo-code which without CODE tags displays as:
esac || if debug

print error code

else
just print the original message

With CODE tags that pseudo-code appears as:
Code:
esac || if debug 

print error code 

else
      just print the original message

Please use CODE tags when displaying sample input, sample output, and code (or pseudo-code) segments.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash regex =~ case insensetive, possible?

It can get very annoying that bash regex =~ is case-sensetive, is there a way to set it to be case-insensetive? if ]; then echo match else echo no match fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Example of switch case in Bash

can anyone post a sample code for a switch case in shell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit the cool
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash case statement output help

greetings, I have a script that is taking input like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd and formating it to be like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adambot
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Case of a string(BASH Scripting)?

Is there any inbuilt functionality in Unix shell script so that i can able to convert lower case string input to an upper case? I dont want to use high level languages like java,python or perl for doing the job. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you use logical operators in a case statement (bash)?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I'm working on a log monitoring script and every 10 lines I want to display a summary of events. The thing is, there are a lot of possible events, that likely won't have happened, so I only want... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using bash case statement

I have the following bash script and it is not accepting the lines "--"|"--""-") "--""-"") while do echo "Current Argument is ${1}" case "$1" in "--"|"--""-") echo "Argument is ${1}" shift # Skip ahead one to the next argument. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash case Statement and Using Line Anchors?

Hello All, I am writing a script that is to be placed on multiple servers, and of course I've started running into some compatibility issues for certain shell commands. The code below worked just fine on most of my machines except for a couple. Here I had 4 separate lines in my script that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Case Issues..

Hi, I'm having some trouble with using "case...esac" in Bash. I've googled it and am stuggling to understand the syntax and how to do certain things. Firstly, I want to be able to choose a case based on a variable number For example, I have in my code a place where a user can enter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ste_Moore01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - case statement

Hi Gurus, I have the below BASH code which does not works for upper case alphabets except Z (upper case Z). What may be the reason. Also escape sequences like \n, \t, \b, \033(1m \033(0m (For bold letter) are not working. case $var in ) echo "Lower case alphabet" ;; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaneshAnanth
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special case to skip function in bash menu

In the bash menu below if the variant that is inputted is in the format NM_004004.3:c.274G>T the below works perfectly. My question is if the variant inputted isNM_004004.3:-c.274G>T or NM_004004.3:+c.274G>T then the code as is will throw an error due to a biological issue. Is it possible to to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
SYSPROFILE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     SYSPROFILE(8)

NAME
sysprofile - modular centralized shell configuration DESCRIPTION
sysprofile is a generic approach to configure shell settings in a modular and centralized way mostly aimed at avoiding work for lazy sysad- mins. It has only been tested to work with the bash shell. It basically consists of the small /etc/sysprofile shell script which invokes other small shell scripts having a .bash suffix which are contained in the /etc/sysprofile.d/ directory. The system administrator can drop in any script he wants without any naming convention other than that the scripts need to have a .bash suffix to enable automagic sourcing by /etc/sysprofile. This mechanism is set up by inserting a small shell routine into /etc/profile for login shells and optionally into /etc/bashrc and/or /etc/bash.bashrc for non-login shells from where the actual /etc/sysprofile script is invoked: if [ -f /etc/sysprofile ]; then . /etc/sysprofile fi For using "sysprofile" under X11, one can source it in a similar way from /etc/X11/Xsession or your X display manager's Xsession file to provide the same shell environment as under the console in X11. See the example files in /usr/share/doc/sysprofile/ for illustration. For usage of terminal emulators with a non-login bash shell under X11, take care to enable sysprofile via /etc/bash.bashrc. If not set this way, your terminal emulators won't come up with the environment defined by the scripts in /etc/sysprofile.d/. Users not wanting /etc/sysprofile to be sourced for their environment can easily disable it's automatic mechanism. It can be disabled by simply creating an empty file called $HOME/.nosysprofile in the user's home directory using e.g. the touch(1) command. Any single configuration file in /etc/sysprofile.d/ can be overridden by any user by creating a private $HOME/.sysprofile.d/ directory which may contain a user's own version of any configuration file to be sourced instead of the system default. It's names have just to match exactly the system's default /etc/sysprofile.d/ configuration files. Empty versions of these files contained in the $HOME/.syspro- file.d/ directory automatically disable sourcing of the system wide version. Naturally, users can add and include their own private script inventions to be automagically executed by /etc/sysprofile at login time. OPTIONS
There are no options other than those dictated by shell conventions. Anything is defined within the configuration scripts themselves. SEE ALSO
The README files and configuration examples contained in /etc/sysprofile.d/ and the manual pages bash(1), xdm(1x), xdm.options(5), and wdm(1x). Recommended further reading is everything related with shell programming. If you need a similar mechanism for executing code at logout time check out the related package syslogout(8) which is a very close compan- ion to sysprofile. BUGS
sysprofile in its current form is mainly restricted to bash(1) syntax. In fact it is actually a rather embarrassing quick and dirty hack than anything else - but it works. It serves the practical need to enable a centralized bash configuration until something better becomes available. Your constructive criticism in making this into something better" is very welcome. Before i forget to mention it: we take patches... ;-) AUTHOR
sysprofile was developed by Paul Seelig <pseelig@debian.org> specifically for the Debian GNU/Linux system. Feel free to port it to and use it anywhere else under the conditions of either the GNU public license or the BSD license or both. Better yet, please help to make it into something more worthwhile than it currently is. SYSPROFILE(8)