Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Bash case error
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Bash case error Post 303021121 by RudiC on Sunday 5th of August 2018 05:14:35 AM
Old 08-05-2018
Welcome to the forum.

The || is the "control operator" in a bash "OR list". man bash:

Quote:
An OR list has the form

command1 || command2

command2 is executed if and only if command1 returns a non-zero exit status.
So the construct is there to catch errors of case dealing with the various FUNs.

Be aware that $FU$ will expand to just $ (unless FU is defined somewhere in your script).

Try moving the second msgbox to another position to eliminate your "override suspicion"

Does your case work for other inputs, e.g. 3 , or 9 ? What exactly do you enter in either case, and what in the 10 case?
Are you aware that the shown snippet only has some improvement opportunities?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash regex =~ case insensetive, possible?

It can get very annoying that bash regex =~ is case-sensetive, is there a way to set it to be case-insensetive? if ]; then echo match else echo no match fi (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Example of switch case in Bash

can anyone post a sample code for a switch case in shell (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit the cool
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash case statement output help

greetings, I have a script that is taking input like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd and formating it to be like this: a b c d aa bb aaa bbb ccc ddd (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adambot
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Case of a string(BASH Scripting)?

Is there any inbuilt functionality in Unix shell script so that i can able to convert lower case string input to an upper case? I dont want to use high level languages like java,python or perl for doing the job. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you use logical operators in a case statement (bash)?

I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything. I'm working on a log monitoring script and every 10 lines I want to display a summary of events. The thing is, there are a lot of possible events, that likely won't have happened, so I only want... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeCoTwc
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using bash case statement

I have the following bash script and it is not accepting the lines "--"|"--""-") "--""-"") while do echo "Current Argument is ${1}" case "$1" in "--"|"--""-") echo "Argument is ${1}" shift # Skip ahead one to the next argument. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash case Statement and Using Line Anchors?

Hello All, I am writing a script that is to be placed on multiple servers, and of course I've started running into some compatibility issues for certain shell commands. The code below worked just fine on most of my machines except for a couple. Here I had 4 separate lines in my script that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Case Issues..

Hi, I'm having some trouble with using "case...esac" in Bash. I've googled it and am stuggling to understand the syntax and how to do certain things. Firstly, I want to be able to choose a case based on a variable number For example, I have in my code a place where a user can enter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ste_Moore01
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH - case statement

Hi Gurus, I have the below BASH code which does not works for upper case alphabets except Z (upper case Z). What may be the reason. Also escape sequences like \n, \t, \b, \033(1m \033(0m (For bold letter) are not working. case $var in ) echo "Lower case alphabet" ;; ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: GaneshAnanth
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Special case to skip function in bash menu

In the bash menu below if the variant that is inputted is in the format NM_004004.3:c.274G>T the below works perfectly. My question is if the variant inputted isNM_004004.3:-c.274G>T or NM_004004.3:+c.274G>T then the code as is will throw an error due to a biological issue. Is it possible to to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)